Author Topic: Happy Holidays tileset!  (Read 8782 times)

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
Happy Holidays tileset!
« on: December 20, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »

Here's my new holiday themed tileset for Lix! I've also included a one very simple level (seen above) to demonstrate some things you can do with the tiles.
I hope you guys like it! :lix-grin:

Edit Simon: This set is now (early 2018) included in the main Lix download. Its tiles have different filenames, therefore this zip file has become incompatible. Forestidia has recreated this showcasing level with the tiles as they are included in Lix.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:04:52 PM by Simon »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Holidays tileset!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »
Thanks Raymanni, looks really nice.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 06:09:15 PM »
Beautiful idea and realization! Looks very flexible, even the decoration. So much variety in the colors, and everything goes well together. I've always considered whether more wooden boards, and your set delivers perfectly here, with sloped planks even.

Congratulations on finishing such a big project in time for the holidays!

Porcupine snouts don't have pig snouts in reality, even though most European languages call the porcupine a pig with pricks. :lix-evil:

-- Simon

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 07:40:47 PM »
Really nice job!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 08:00:16 PM »
The quills need some more work, it looks a slight bit too thick right now, almost more like feathers of a bird  (the whole thing looks kind of like a seal crossed with a turkey in some genetics lab). :P  Everything else though look awesome! :thumbsup:

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 09:43:20 PM »
oh niiiiiiiice Now to wait for it to come to neolemmix

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 01:38:04 AM »
I'll be super happy to include it in Lix.

I'd like to rename some tiles: raymanni/holiday/holidayplank_1.png should become raymanni/holiday/plank_1.png, and, likewise, all filenames that start with holiday should lose holiday. This information is already in the path holiday/.

Since deco_1 and deco_2 are not baubles and their strings, I'd rename these two to lights and wreath. This makes a gap in the numbers of deco_*.

But all this is very high-level criticism. The set is superb and varied. Especially the planks pull massive weight with a minimal assortment of different tiles.

-- Simon

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 11:33:33 AM »
all filenames that start with holiday should lose holiday. This information is already in the path holiday/.
Ah yes, I didn't think of that. You can rename the pieces all you want, because only one level has been made using these tiles so far. :lix-grin:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 11:35:16 PM »
This is amazing, and the tile set also looks quite versatile.

Just one suggestion: it looks like the angled planks don't fit together perfectly (which you tried to cover up with screws). Maybe you could add versions of these angled planks that are cut off at an angle so the two different angled planks can be fit together?
Otherwise I guess the same could still be achieved with grouping.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 04:22:03 PM »
I'm working on extra slopes as suggested by geoo. I'm considering to make the diagonals 1 pixel thicker vertically. The 32x32 canvas has enough space for such an extra pixel, and it should guarantee that we can cover all angles with correct lighting with 3 pieces.

When ready, I'll post the entire set with my renamings, with the 2 new slope pieces. I would love to release still during Christmas.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
Screws and the baubles' string should be tiles sized in multiples of 16, then have some space at their sides. In Holiday set version 2017-12-20, I need grid 1 to get what I want, that feels very strange.

I will fix this too!

-- Simon

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 08:58:24 PM »
Seems there were a lot of things I missed. Thanks for fixing them. :lix-grin:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 04:14:18 PM »

Attached zip file with my changes. Version 2017-12-25 now.
  • 2 new diagonal planks. Look at the screenshot's top-left corner: These planks are placed with grid 16 and tile well. Same for the planks in the center.
  • Porcupine trigger width 12->8. Reason: Lixes looked too much like they jumped horizontally on entering trap area. Trigger height 12 kept.
  • 4x16 screw centered in 16x16 canvas, 16x5 screw-cap bottom-aligned in 16x16 canvas. Reason: Aligns as you want at grid 16. (14x14 screw was already centered in 16x16 canvas, perfect.)
  • Bauble string centered in 32-wide canvas. Reason: Aligns better.
  • Bauble string is light-green instead of grey. Reason: Avoid looking like steel.
  • Garland's 2 leftmost and 2 rightmost little lights moved slightly towards center. Reason: Doesn't touch lights of other copies of garland when garlands are placed next to each other.
  • Many tiles' names are clearer. Reason: Easier to identify from filename.
Zip file contains geoo's hexagonal pillar tiles, too.

The screws are earth. Do they look like steel?

Any comments? If all good, I'll  release tomorrow with these tileset changes. It won't be a physics change because we don't change any physics of existing tiles, we merely add new tiles.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 04:22:36 PM by Simon »

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »
Good changes. :lix-smile:
I figured that might be a problem. How about more copper/golden-y screws?

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2017, 05:30:26 PM »
Attached replays to both showcase levels.
The Raymanni-level-replay should have the level data compatible to Simon's zipfolder. Some things were out of place for some reason, so I tried to fix that but I'm not sure if I got everything.

You maybe shouldn't have asked that beforehand, since it is then hard to have an unbiased view. But I actually think they are dark enough to not look like steel.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 05:43:28 PM by Forestidia86 »