Author Topic: Crash while using editor  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
Crash while using editor
« on: November 22, 2017, 04:43:40 AM »
Attached a crash window that occured to me as I used the level editor. The game froze and I had to kill the process.
Unfortunately I cannot say what I exactly did. I was just generally copying tiles, combining them to tilegroups and moving them.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Crash while using editor
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 11:08:36 PM »
This looks like a really rare crash.

I've looked at the code for a while, and my only explanation is that you've switched really fast from moving pieces to dragging a frame, or the other way around. But I can't reproduce this.

I've made the mouse dragging more robust and hope that this won't fail again. This hope-fix goes in the next version. But I'm not sure, therefore I've added even more asserts.

The editor should have saved your level as levels/editor-emergency-save.txt. You can delete this file when you don't need it anymore.

I'm happy, but also confused, because your crash shows an assertion failure inside an invariant. Neither assertions nor invariants should exist in my release build. Did you compile a debugging version yourself? Or was this one of my test versions that I gave you, I think I built that with debugging flags?

-- Simon
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:05:02 AM by Simon »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 12:06:24 AM »
Simon, I still did this in 0.9.2 and used your "little-fix-buggy-mouse-jump.exe" from here.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:12:28 AM »
Thanks, then the crash dialog makes sense. Debugging versions crash whenever assertions in the code fail, even though nothing has gone wrong yet. Sometimes, the assertions are overly conservative. They're designed to catch even potential bugs.

-- Simon