Author Topic: when tabbing away mouse glitch  (Read 2846 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
when tabbing away mouse glitch
« on: October 22, 2017, 05:21:29 PM »
Sometimes, not sure atm exactly how/when this occurs, when I tab and I go to another window I still cannot leave me cursor outside the boundary of lix and on top of this when mousing over the lix area the mouse keeps moving around in weird ways. I don't have time atm to explain adequately. I will try to investigate later if nobody else has this issue.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: when tabbing away mouse glitch
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 06:58:45 PM »
Thanks for the report. I haven't seen that on Linux, therefore this is scary to debug.

I should update the Allegro DLLs that I ship with Lix, then see if this still happens. I've put that update off for a long time. (The Windows build toolchain depends on files generated from the exact DLLs that I use.) But it may well be a problem in my code that merely never hits on Linux.

If you find a good way to reproduce, I can try it next time I see a Windows machine.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:03:14 PM »
Yeah, I have encountered something the like.
Sometimes the mouse cursor just goes haywire, but that I have put on my old laptop and performance issues because of that.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 07:34:01 PM »
Forestidia sent me a video of their problem, here was my reply:

Hi, good video. This is a different issue than mobius's, but I know yours because I've already fixed it on Linux: Lix's cursor warps across half the Lix window.

Since no Windows user has reported the problem before, I kept the unfixed code for Windows because it looked cleaner. I should use the fixed code throughout and see if other people report problems.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 07:47:43 PM »
Thanks Simon for the reply. A fix would be very nice since the cursor warp sometimes messes with me.
I think I have mobius' issue as well that the cursor is kept caught in Lix but you are right that's a separate issue from what I recorded. It just felt related since mobius mentioned weird movement of the mouse cursor.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 01:58:56 AM »
Forestidia: Try the attached executable (copy into where lix.exe sits and run). Is the mouse still jumpy? This executable has the same fix on Windows against jumpy mouse that I've used on Linux for months.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 02:32:41 AM »
I'm sorry, I can't say for sure at the moment. I have to try it for a bit longer. There seem to be some jump spikes but that can be just lag due to my old laptop.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 07:05:32 PM »
I think it has gotten at least better through the fix, thanks.