Author Topic: Repton style and levels  (Read 10300 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Repton style and levels
« on: September 05, 2005, 12:42:56 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread, I've been saving this one up, planning to release it when I'd finished six levels. They're taking a lot longer than I'd hoped, so you can have the style and the first four levels now :D especially as ccexplore is really behind with the music for my other styles, so there might not be anything else from me for some time.

I've included a Readme that explains what the style is and how to use it, so I won't repeat all that info here.

Hope you enjoy it! [EDIT: forgot the link, of all things! http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Repton.zip <-- there you go]

(Incidentally, it is possible to save 100% on all four levels. Anyone up for a challenge?)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
Re: Repton style and levels
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 03:06:26 PM »
Cool  B)

And here I thought Repton was your last name...

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 03:42:39 PM »
Just thought I'd suggest using the Amiga skill panel for the style, unless you prefer using the VGA one.
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/_misc/panelamiga.bmp

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 07:22:33 PM »
I much prefer the Amiga skill panel over the VGA one Ahribar (hint, hint). :D

'nother style for use in STPIII!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 09:41:15 PM »
I think the Amiga one is similar to the DOS skill panel graphics you would get on "High Performance PC"/"PS 2" mode, when run under real DOS (ie. not Windows DOS and definitely not DOSBox).

I cast my vote on the Amiga one.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 03:55:48 AM »
OK, try again now. That was a bit of work to make the fastforward button, but hey! if it looks good, no problem!

And here I thought Repton was your last name...

Why shouldn't it be? It's not my fault it's the name of a computer game as well!

'nother style for use in STPIII!

Yes, well...... just be glad you're not getting all twenty at once........

No-one has any comments on the levels themselves? Or have you just not tried them yet?

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 07:32:58 PM »
The levels are very... hmm... different. The holes in certain tiles creates a nice effect, although it's complete hell when trying to figure out the solution. I've passed #1 and #3. Saved 100% on neither one though.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 08:15:14 PM »
I've passed all but the second (I almost passed it, but made a stupid error at the very end, then Cheapo replay bugs got me.) None with 100%, though. It's cool trying to bring graphics, etc. from other games into the Lemmings universe. B) The holes in so many of the terrain pieces do however make the levels odd to play, but it's also what makes them different... It makes you think in a different way, and it's not that annoying since the levels aren't too complicated. But that music...!  X_X

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 01:07:51 AM »
Nice work! Could you PM me your solutions?

The levels are meant to be in rough order of difficulty; I know the second one looks and feels hard, but offsetting that is the fact that there are so many ways to make the solution work; if you just go about it straightforwardly you should get there. (Except for the replay bug; that is annoying.) When you've solved it, tell me if you think I did make it too hard; although I don't think there's much I can do about it now if I did.

You don't like the music? I love it! And it is genuine music from the Repton games, so it had to be used.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 01:29:50 AM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1125924176/0#7 date=1126037714
The holes in so many of the terrain pieces do however make the levels odd to play, but it's also what makes them different...

That's one thing I definitely noticed about those levels.  I'm glad about them though, it teaches you new potentials for new terrains.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 08:36:33 AM »
Aargh -- I noticed that the 100% solution on Prelude didn't work as I intended. I've added one basher, and this time I have checked that it definitely works. Same link to re-download the set and style.

Isu, Shvegait: you haven't PMed me your solutions yet?

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 06:04:18 PM »
You wanted me to PM you? I thought that post was referring to Shvegait.

EDIT: PM sent

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 06:08:10 PM »
Oops! Sorry, I will get around to that in a little bit.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 02:17:45 AM »
Regarding level 3, Isu did indeed find a backroute, which wasn't too much work to fix. (Same link.) This, however, has nothing to do with my earlier fix, which was just to get the 100% solution to work. Isu also queried the fact that the lower lemmings can exit without any help; this, however, is intentional.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 04:45:44 AM »
And Shvegait found a backroute on level 4. Also fixed; same link.