Author Topic: [Suggestion] Single-use triggered decorations  (Read 1676 times)

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] Single-use triggered decorations
« on: August 28, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »
What if triggered decorations could be set to only trigger once, much like one-use traps? Consider the thin ice decoration in Raymanni's snow tileset. One way to use it is to create the illusion that a lemming broke through the thin ice and fell to the area below, even though there was just no ground there to begin with. After the lemming breaks through though, the decoration can be triggered again. Aesthetically, this doesn't make sense. It's even more egregious if you build a bridge over the gap but can still trigger the decoration repeatedly as lemmings walk over the bridge. :sick: This problem would be solved if the decoration just triggered once and then sat on the last frame of animation forever after.

I know triggered decorations don't get much use because they don't directly affect the puzzle, but I think this change could make them more interesting.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Single-use triggered decorations
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:10:32 PM »
I can only think of two triggered decoration objects in all of the graphic sets. So not only seems there to be a lack of interest in using them in levels, but also in creating them in the first place. I am not sure making them single-use will help a lot with that. So I am very hesitant to use time coding such a rarely-used feature.

Actually, I was more thinking about removing this feature completely for two reasons:
- As you already noted, it is almost never used, especially compared to (movable) background objects.
- It contradicts a major player expectation almost by definition: If a lemming triggers some animation, then the object does something to the lemming.