Author Topic: up/down-facing 1-way walls  (Read 2493 times)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
up/down-facing 1-way walls
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:43:31 PM »
Are "up/down-facing 1-way walls" popular among level-designers? Do you use them? (...often?)
I have hesitation in bringing these 2 Objects into the Android game...
And what are the skills which are allowed to dig into these specific walls?
Thanks!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: up/down-facing 1-way walls
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 02:07:13 AM »
Remind me, how do they even work?  I don't play a lot nowadays and I don't think I've ever tried a level using them in whichever game engine they are supported in (NeoLemmix?).  Classic lemmings skills don't include an upward-tunneling skill.  I guess maybe you could have a down OWW that really means "you can only dig, not bash nor mine" (or maybe just no bash).

Of course, if your game has features like gravity changes, or upward-tunneling skills like fencer, that changes things wrt up/down OWWs behavior.

To oversimplify, OWWs are basically ways to force you to take a long(er) route in order to get through the wall (or perhaps completely bypassing it altogether, but then you are really just using it as steel but disguising it visually).  If down OWWs mean "dig only", it can be an interesting variation, though it seems like it'd usually be easier to work out a route getting just to the top of the wall, versus with horizontal OWWs where you'd then probably also have to get down it on the other side and then potentially having to turn around and then finally bash/mine.  On the other hand, for a wall to be completely unremovable via certain skill types as a down OWW may be, that stronger restriction compared to horizontal OWWs might make for some interesting puzzles.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 03:17:11 AM »
So far, to my knowledge, yes only diggers and miners work on down-facing one-way walls. What’s interesting is that bashers have no effect on down-facing one-way walls even though diggers can be used on left/right-facing one-way walls. For up-facing one-way walls I believe only a fencer skill can get across them. A bomber, however, is effective on all one-way walls regardless of what direction they are facing.

I don't know if up/down-facing one-way walls are popular or not. For me personally I do agree that the down-facing one-way walls specifically can be used for interesting puzzles because of the stronger restriction on them. For the Android game I think having a down-facing one-way wall would be okay, but personally if there are no skills or effects that allow lemmings to go through an up-facing one-way wall then maybe it shouldn't be included unless it is used like a type of steel that restricts using skills there (and maybe force the player to only use a bomber skill there).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:23:40 AM by Nessy »

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »
So far, to my knowledge, yes only diggers and miners work on down-facing one-way walls. What’s interesting is that bashers have no effect on down-facing one-way walls even though diggers can be used on left/right-facing one-way walls.

Down OWWs were added to NeoLemmix a long time before the fencer skill, so at the time, prohibiting bashers was the only thing distinguishing them from normal terrain.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 11:24:53 AM »
Thanks! I'll add "Down OWW" in a next update, but I don't think I'll bother adding "Up OWW" (eventhough Fencers are now available in the game)