Author Topic: Submissions for the short levels set  (Read 15842 times)

Re: Submissions for the short levels set
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 04:39:27 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1122814873/0#14 date=1122869586
Music #25 is a Shela folk song (the Shela are a people from my girlfriend's fantasy world, Kadreilia) set to music by me and MIDIfied by one of my friends from another forum, the one where I and my girlfriend met, in fact. Sorry you didn't like it, guest; but I'm glad you did, Steve. (I know the intro's crap; I can't write intros. Given your rudeness, I hope you could do a better one; but unfortunately this isn't the right time to ask you for some lessons.)

Hey hey, take it easy.  As I said, once you get past the intro it was actually pretty decent.  And there's no accounting for taste, so just because I don't like the intro doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.  ;)

I'm a little surprised though that you actually do have some background in musical training (LOL, possibly more than I do actually).  In that case perhaps you should take the time to learn how to make MIDIs.  There are free programs out there (I think the one DragonsLover used, Anvil Studio, can be downloaded for free, amongst other ones.) that will let you create and edit MIDIs either thru point-and-click, or if you can afford an MIDI keyboard, thru actual playing.  They are generally easy enough to use that most people in even intro-level classes actually seem to prefer using them over scribbling notes on paper.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 04:44:08 AM »
I'll look into it; thanks. Unfortunately, I think a MIDI keyboard will not be an option for a couple more years -- all my spare money is going towards saving up for my next visit to my girlfriend after I return from this one.

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 08:51:32 AM »
Well, glad to hear that things are going so well between you and her.

I'm now kind of curious, what is your major?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 10:21:09 AM »
Thank you. :D And I don't quite follow your train of thought, but my subject is philosophy.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 06:09:54 PM »
Back ON topic:
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1122814873/0#14 date=1122869586
Isu, please change the name of this set. Cheapo sets titles are limited to 24 characters; anything beyond that won't display.

Yes, I know, but it displays fine on the Level select screen, and I thought no-one would mind the end being chopped off. I'll go and fix it just for you ;P

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2005, 01:01:08 PM »
Anymore for anymore?

Everyone seems to have forgotton about this. I guess the 20 level target was a little too high.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2005, 06:51:26 PM »
I have a 16 second one...just need to check for backdoors and finding a name for it (that's quite difficult for me...how do you choose names for your levels?).

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2005, 07:28:29 PM »
um... You're asking me that?

What I usually do is find something that is related to the nature of the level. But a few of my level names don't seem to mean anything.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2005, 01:35:38 AM »
guest's "This Level Requires No Skill": http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/NoSkill.zip

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 07:18:23 AM »
Here is it:
http://de.geocities.com/geoo89/g0s08.zip
Alternative: choose the file here: http://de.geocities.com/geoo89/

The name of the level is "Hole in the wall".

If you find any solution that doesn't match with the hints, please tell me.
Sorry for the little hidden steel area, but I saw no other way to avoid a certain backdoor.

@Isu: I'll send you the walkthrough later (in about 9 or 12 hours) per PM.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 05:45:27 PM »
See, you posted at 0818 BST when I had already left for work, so 9-12 hours suddenly doesn't become as long...

Nice lvl by the way, I like it. :thumbsup:

Oh, and I think I backrouted it, Make sure the faster screen fade is off and get the leftmost lemming to bash through the leftmost wall. FastForward

Both Guest's and Geo99's Levels Added

Anymore submissions?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2005, 07:28:15 PM »
Ok, updated it. This backdoor should be closed:
http://de.geocities.com/geoo89/g0s08-2.zip

You can exchange this one with the old one if you want, or add it with the next update, or whatever...

And yes, PM is sent (as you probably noticed already).

Offline Isu

• View Profile
Ooh, I love miners, don't you?
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2005, 09:30:30 PM »
Guess what? another backroute! Sorry.

I even made a nifty screenshot for your viewing pleasure:
Backroute haven is beyond this link! Click now or it'll be too late!

If you have the faster screen fade off, and the fastforward on, the lemming will exit before the screen fades. Also note that I encountered a Miner glitch while executing. To stop the lemming from splatting, turn it into a basher at a low enough height (2 pixels from bottom). The screenshot shows this.

I won't upload the updated set yet, as I assume you'll want to fix this.

EDIT: Corrected a few typos...

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2005, 08:41:06 PM »
Actually I thought I checked the impossibility of that, but probably I forgot to set the faster screen fade off when I did that.

However, thanks for mentioning it.
Since I also found another backroute digging down and turning around at the bottom using mining, bashing and building, I see no other way to close this backdoor than making the upper platform completely steel (the right two blocks).
(If you have another idea, please tell me.)
Actually I didn't want to do this to make it look that it's possible to get down there. At least you could get down at the left, but it's quite obvious than you can't get further this way.

Anyway, here's the updated (and probably last) version:
http://de.geocities.com/geoo89/g0s08-3.zip