Author Topic: Help wanted: Cheapo style crash  (Read 7415 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Help wanted: Cheapo style crash
« on: July 24, 2005, 10:00:01 AM »
As I've mentioned a few times recently ;P I'm making a set of new Cheapo styles. Just today I was re-compiling them after making a large update -- new terrain, objects, standards, intro screen images, even sketches..... the lot.

The first three went fine, but when I tried to generate the ONML Snow style (I know, no great loss......), it loaded fine on the editor, all the terrain and objects worked fine, but as soon as I tried to load a Snow level on the game, crash.

[EDIT: Problem solved; see below.]

Offline Isu

• View Profile
Re: Help wanted: Cheapo style crash
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 11:10:23 AM »
I'm so glad that the styles begin with the letter M. It makes life so much more easier for me.

As for your problems, doesn't all the required files have to be in the styles folder? when I create styles, the file is always in the styles folder, and I just enter the name of the file into the editor. This normally works fine but...

I too, am having a problems with generating a style. I keep getting an "error in header: Invalid Section name" and there appears to be no apparent problems with the stt file. Is it possible for someone to tell me what this means and how I can fix it without me having to upload the files like Ahribar did? Many thanks.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 11:17:33 AM »
No, no, no; firstly, other styles referred to have to be in the styles folder; BMP and MIDI files can be anywhere, so long as the STT gives (as mine does) the full pathname. Secondly, the crash wasn't when generating the style, but when opening the level.

I found the problem in the end. Turns out Cheapo doesn't allow you to reference other styles in the Sounds, Music or Images sections. Thanks for telling us, Peter. :D

As for your problem, "Invalid Section Name" means that the name of one of your sections is invalid. Like, you might have typed "Skethces" instead of "Sketches". Double-check all your spellings! :P

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 12:06:23 PM »
Okay, thanks. One of the top three headers was wrong. I'm not sure what it was, but I copied it from one of my old working stt files.

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 08:22:55 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1122199201/0#2 date=1122203853
I found the problem in the end. Turns out Cheapo doesn't allow you to reference other styles in the Sounds, Music or Images sections. Thanks for telling us, Peter. :D

Oops, sorry. Crashes are bad and I was just an amateur back then. I didn't know crap about writing stable and robust code.