Author Topic: Level Idea  (Read 64943 times)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Level Idea
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2005, 12:49:36 PM »
Any chance of a screenshot?

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2005, 02:07:53 PM »
Actually, downloading the level, it'd appear the back-route's already fixed.

[I'd add more to this, but I have to go somewhere.]
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2005, 06:12:38 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve  link=1119907802/150#151 date=1122041273
Actually, downloading the level, it'd appear the back-route's already fixed.

Well ok, I did silently fix one part of your stuff, namely getting rid of the ability for you to build off the left edge of the sphere.

But you mentioned shifting something else 2 pixels and I have no idea what that was.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2005, 07:15:14 PM »
It could have been the ledge. Err.. maybe not, I don't know.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2005, 08:34:32 PM »
By changing this, you've actually eradicated the back-route I had mentioned: If you time a bomber so that a lemming can land on the sphere facing right (bypassing the lower ledge and avoiding the trap), you don't need to use the trick I added. Since the lower ledge now overlaps the sphere, this no longer can be done.

Thank you. The level looks very nice, and the wide variety of tricks utilised is impressive. Now, to see if there's any glaring back-routes...
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2005, 09:19:18 PM »
Oh, interesting, didn't think of that.

But that isn't really significantly different from what you intended, as both are precisely-timed bombers.  I should also note that as it is right now, I think things still work if the bomber explodes right after it lands on the lower ledge rather than in mid-air.  That too can probably be fixed by extending the upper ledge's right edge more to the right (which I haven't done).

I silently, and without asking, did the change mainly because of the issue of building off the sphere on its left edge, which means you can use the bomber elsewhere, a potentially much more serious issue.

On that note, for backroute checking, I think the key thing to look out for is the use of a skill in an unintended location thereby shifting skill availability in other areas of the level.  An example would be to use the blocker on the entrance area instead of building.  I believe I've gotten that taken care of (but check for yourself and decide).

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2005, 02:15:41 AM »
The aforementioned backroute with the bomber does still work.

I did test placing the blocker at the entrance (for my version), and the only backroute I found was one that allowed you to build up and over the trap, using two miners to get to the exit (fixed by covering a piece of the mesh terrain with an invisible piece). This shouldn't even seem remotely possible now with the additional bar you'd have to mine through. Even though you now have 5 builders, you still only have 3 miners.

The tricks seem constructed such that they can't be backrouted easily if at all, but I don't want to assume anything either.

JM

« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2005, 04:10:53 PM »
I've been looking at the latest modification of this level and its good.

« Reply #158 on: July 29, 2005, 09:04:12 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1119907802/150#150 date=1122036576
Any chance of a screenshot?

Here you go:

JM

« Reply #159 on: July 29, 2005, 10:42:46 AM »
The level looks ace.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2005, 12:17:40 PM »
If anyone's interested, here's a Cheapo remake of the level.

Guest's walkthrough mentioned a hidden trap without specifying which type, so I've used the knife trap -- which therefore makes its first ever appearance on a Cheapo style! Cameras out, folks, to record the historic moment........

« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2005, 04:38:26 PM »
Oh, didn't realize you're going to remake it in Cheapo.  I should download it later and see whether/how well the intended solution works there.

There are actually 2 traps on this level, both of which are somewhat hidden.  The one on top of the one-way walls is indeed the "knife" (slicer) trap.  There's also a molecularizer hidden on top of the steel block to the left of the sphere (you can see maybe one pixel of that trap sticking out from the steel).  That trap kills lemmings that drops from the left of the sphere.  There's also a tiny bit of water to the right of the middle crystal (the crystal below the steel block).

JM

« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2005, 09:38:27 PM »
It was re-made in Cheapo. Cool!!

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2005, 02:50:06 AM »
Quote from: guest  link=1119907802/150#161 date=1122655106
Oh, didn't realize you're going to remake it in Cheapo.

Nor did I; it was a spur of the moment decision, largely prompted by the fact that after seeing the screenshot and the walkthrough I still didn't understand what the solution was. :D

I should download it later and see whether/how well the intended solution works there.

It should work; I've tested all the individual parts of the solution, and given an extra minute to allow for Cheapo's slower movement.

There are actually 2 traps on this level, both of which are somewhat hidden.

OK, I've added the other one. I don't know which trap you call the "moleculariser", since both the remaining crystal style traps do pretty much the same thing :D but I used the little trap because it's easier to (nearly) hide.

« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2005, 03:40:55 AM »
Yeah, it's the little one, like the one you find in Taxing 28 for example.  Not the big one that looks like a Van De Graff electric generator.