Author Topic: CustLemm under XP  (Read 11852 times)

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
CustLemm under XP
« on: June 26, 2005, 04:39:01 AM »
I've never gotten Customized Lemmings to work under Windows XP... I've tried VDMSound and DOSBox, but with sad results (e.g. 1 frame per second, how am I supposed to play that slow???)

So, what I'm really wondering is can anyone tell how I can get it to work???

Re: CustLemm under XP
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 06:54:34 AM »
Strange, Custlemm works fine for me in DOSBox.  What version of DOSBox are you using?  (The latest was 0.63.)

Does this mean you can't get the official versions of Lemmings & ONML to work well either, or is it just Custlemm?

I guess you can always try Ctrl+F12 to increase the emulation speed, or one of the other Ctrl+F? key to increase the frame skip (the latter at a cost of decrease in animation quality).  Does LemEdit2 work well on your machine?  If it does it'd be rather surprising since my impression has been that LemEdit2 is far more demanding on the machine than Custlemm.

tumble_weed

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 12:21:38 PM »
custlemm works fine with me without dosbox...and i have XP :S

in fact im using it now

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 01:42:51 PM »
When I try to use CustLemm in DOSBox (0.63), it goes perfectly until after the level preview, then it freezes.
...w/o DOSBox, it runs at ~5fps and the palette flickers.

LemEdit 2 works perfectly.

Original VGALEMMI.EXE in DOSBox freezes at the same point that CustLemm freezes.
...w/o DOSBox, also runs at ~5fps and the palette flickers.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 05:41:43 PM »
Weird. I've never run into any problems running Lemmings on XP with or without DOSBox..   :???:

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 06:41:54 PM »
Perhaps I'll try running it from my other XP partition...

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 07:30:16 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1119760741/0#1 date=1119768874
I guess you can always try Ctrl+F12 to increase the emulation speed

I actually tried this one out and, at least on my computer, it actually made things worse, the game actually run much slower (and very jerky) as a result.

Which reminds me:  if you run custlemm after you run lemedit2, be sure to set the emulation speed back to the normal range of about 3000.

--------------------

Perhaps your video driver needs an update or something?

Also, try and see what happens when you disable music and/or sound effects.

Incidentally, since you said the original Lemmings also failed in DOSBox, you might be able to report the problem on DOSBox forums and see if anyone there can help (doubtful but you never know).

Good luck and hope you can get things working!

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 02:32:13 AM »
I GOT IT!!!  My computer isn't "high performance" enough for Lemmings!  :P  :D
I needed to start CustLemm "For PC compatables, Tandy"

---

That just cracks me up... not "high performance" enough for an old DOS game... oh, wait... I know why... I'm running M$ Windows!

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 04:54:34 AM »
Quote from: Mindless  link=1119760741/0#7 date=1119839533
I GOT IT!!! &#A0;My computer isn't "high performance" enough for Lemmings! &#A0;:P &#A0;:D
I needed to start CustLemm "For PC compatables, Tandy"

---

That just cracks me up... not "high performance" enough for an old DOS game... oh, wait... I know why... I'm running M$ Windows!

LOL, so that's why you're the only one who couldn't get custlemm to work, you dummy.  ;P

"High performance" doesn't actually mean what you think it means.  I believe it refers to certain PC clones back in the days when Lemmings was released.  Those PC clones have some hardware differences that I guess supposedly makes certain things higher-performance.  In particular I think "high performance" referred to the IBM PS/2 machines.

They never caught on however, so the PCs you used nowadays are far more like regular PC-compatiable machines than those "high performance" machines.  DOSBox probably couldn't support it because it doesn't support those non-PC-compatible features that "high performance" take advantage of or works around.

I'm also amused that you picked "high performance"...what were you trying to accomplish, to make the lemmings go faster than they're supposed to or something?  :P

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 04:01:02 PM »
If the game seems to freeze on the main menu at the end of some levels, just press Alt+Enter twice. Trust me, it works! O_o
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 06:20:11 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1119760741/0#8 date=1119848074
I'm also amused that you picked "high performance"...what were you trying to accomplish, to make the lemmings go faster than they're supposed to or something?  :P

I assumed that my computer was of higher performance than the computers Lemmings was designed for...

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 08:02:46 PM »
Actually, I'm kinda curious what the "high performance" option really does on machines where it actually works.

I mean, Lemmings already worked fine on non-high-performance machines, so do you get better animation or something on "high performance"?

Mike would probably know, but I don't know if he ever reads this particular sub-forum.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 08:48:23 PM »
I'm not Mike, but I'd like to voice my opinion on this, I believe that the 'High performance' mode has better graphics. Not much better mind, I think the toolbox is like that of the Amiga. I've only tried 'High Performance' once, on my old PC, and I got the same problem as Mindless. That was what I could get out of it.

P.S Feel free to prove me wrong, since I don't really know.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 09:01:36 PM »
Under DOSBox, with IBM PS2 option (#3), the font of the In%, Out, and Time is different, and the toolbox looks different. Also, the levels slowly fade in and out. The levels themselves look different, though (EGA only?)

The 4th option (forget what it's called) looks like the 1st (normal PC option), but the mouse didn't seem to work.

Under normal XP, I can get the levels to load under High Performance and IBM PS2, with the same results. The screen flickers but the level never starts, and the mouse doesn't work. The toolbox, font, etc. is the same in both of these modes.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 06:54:44 PM »
I can't get CustLemm to run at all. When I try it with or without DOSBOX it displays:
"Open Has Failed: (some weird characters)
Exiting Lemmings..."