Author Topic: level-edition tools for original Lemmings 1 & 2 games?  (Read 2724 times)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
level-edition tools for original Lemmings 1 & 2 games?
« on: June 12, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »
Hi,
thinking about the good old Lemmings 1&2 games, I'm wondering if some of you are aware about the tools, or the level-editors DMA Design used for creating the games' levels on the various gaming platforms (8-bit and 16-bit computers)?
I would be interested in seeing some screenshots of these pieces of software :) Thanks!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: level-edtion tools for original Lemmings 1 & 2 games?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 10:26:22 PM »
I don't know if there's any pictures, but in the "History of Lemmings" thing that one of the DMA people (I want to say Mike?) posted a few years back, they mentioned the editor for L1 was built into the game itself and very Deluxe Paint-like (whatever that is).

Some of the 8-bit console ports (NES, Master System, etc), the levels are simply tilemap-based - this shows in the gameplay on NES and Gameboy, but Master System version uses some ingenious hacks to get around it being too noticable. These were in all likelihood made with a general tile-mapping tool.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
Re: level-edition tools for original Lemmings 1 & 2 games?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 06:31:45 PM »
Thanks for the pieces of info! It would be nice to see pictures of these tools 8-)