Author Topic: Individual levels from older games/packs  (Read 2626 times)

Offline rtw

• View Profile
Individual levels from older games/packs
« on: March 14, 2016, 01:58:14 AM »
Is it possible to get levels from the original Lemmings to edit in NeoLemmix? I want to do one based on one of my Unnecessary Lemmings videos.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Individual levels from older games/packs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 02:08:30 AM »
someone other than me could help you better but I have a few ideas anyway;

-http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2479.msg55573#msg55573 here are players with all the original games but I think you'd need to extract them to get the levels so a maybe easier way;

-do you still have a copy of the old version of Lemmix [pre-Neo]? If so, you're probably aware that you can access all of the original levels with that [view > Levels viewer] From there, save it to another name and location. Then you can open it with NeoLemmix and edit.

everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 02:36:33 AM »
Press F4 on the title screen of any of the official games (some fanmade games might also allow this) to dump all the levels as LVL files. They'll be a "/dump/[game name]/" subfolder of wherever your NeoLemmix EXE is.

If you didn't mean the actual official levels, but just levels from older Lemmix format, you should be able to open these directly in the NeoLemmix Editor. If it identifies the graphic set incorrectly (rare, but it does happen), just change it to the correct one and it should work.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline rtw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 05:35:12 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 12:14:56 PM »
Thanks namida, I was also wondering how to do this

Tried it with the original Lemmings Neo Lemmix player but it's only dumping the first 31 levels (all of Fun and Tricky 01), not sure if that's supposed to be happening or not or whether I'm not doing it correctly

EDIT: Just tried it with a community pack (Lemmings Reunion) and it dumped all 150 level files so there might be a problem with the original Lemmings Neo Lemmix player.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »
Thanks namida, I was also wondering how to do this

Tried it with the original Lemmings Neo Lemmix player but it's only dumping the first 31 levels (all of Fun and Tricky 01), not sure if that's supposed to be happening or not or whether I'm not doing it correctly

There's a bug in (at least) V1.42n and V1.43n that will cause this to happen. The bug was fixed in V1.43n-B, I think (at any rate - it dumps fine in V1.43n-E), and I don't think it existed in versions prior to V1.42n, though I don't know for sure when it first was introduced.

Basically - the dump all levels function didn't properly reset the oddtable history between levels, meaning that once a level was encountered that either (a) oddtabled from an earlier level, or (b) was oddtabled by an earlier level; it would detect a self-referencing / circular oddtabling, and give an error; thus terminating the dumping. In the case of Orig, Tricky 2 is the first level where this happens (as it oddtables from Fun 13 - or maybe Fun 13 oddtables from it, I'm not actually sure which way around it is).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)