Author Topic: Flawed releases  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
Flawed releases
« on: July 24, 2015, 12:35:21 AM »
I thought it would be useful to create a list of flawed releases, after my recent experience:

Lemmings (CD Edition) from GT Interactive in the USA
Problem: Limited VGA only, since the high performance option was removed
Reference: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2202.0

Lemmings - Award Winners: Platinum Edition CD-ROM version in the UK
Problem: Based off version with CD Audio, but lacks the CD audio tracks.
Reference: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1630.0

Lemmings Volume 1-3 (Neon Edition)
Problem: Lemmings seems based off version with CD Audio, but lacks the CD audio tracks.
Reference: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=32456

Are there any others? there seems to be too many flawed releases around.

It is disappointing most of the CD releases are flawed, as the disks releases have even worse problems (copy protected disks).

Offline Lomax

• View Profile
Re: Flawed releases
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »
Lemmings - GBC
Problem: Horrible soundtrack, lots of animations removed.

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 12:46:40 AM »
My CD release of Lemmings 2: The Tribes (with bonus Lemmings) arrived, and the Lemmings version is worse than I expected:
-The Lemmings installer is literally from the 'Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings' double pack, it actually tries to install files from 'Oh No! More Lemmings' which don't exist. They didn't even bother to update the installer for differences in files included.
-The Lemmings files can be manually copied over, but the music is limited to CD Audio as previously reported. There seems to be no way to enable Adlib music at all.

Lemmings - GBC
Problem: Horrible soundtrack, lots of animations removed.
They are changes made to GBC port, rather than technical flaws in a certain release.

This thread is specifically for flawed releases, which have technical issues compared to the original release.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 01:20:29 AM »
To be somewhat fair, I'm guessing it is probably an anomaly even for DOS games to have so many releases of the same game with all these  oddball nuances in terms of different installers, different versions of the game EXE supporting slightly different sound/video options, etc.  I'm guessing most "normal" DOS games just have one installer and one version of game files and that's that.  It is kinda inevitable that many releases are bound to "get it wrong" when there are many variations to deal with instead of just one.

I believe all known CD-audio versions do not offer the Adlib option, at least based on what I've heard here previously.  If adlib.dat is still included in the game files, there's a decent chance some simple hacking of the game EXE can re-enable it (ie. always do adlib rather than always do CD-audio), like I've done in the past with CustLemm.exe.  Of course, it seems somewhat pointless here when the end result would be more or less the same as playing a floppy release.

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 06:39:18 AM »
To be somewhat fair, I'm guessing it is probably an anomaly even for DOS games to have so many releases of the same game with all these  oddball nuances in terms of different installers, different versions of the game EXE supporting slightly different sound/video options, etc.  I'm guessing most "normal" DOS games just have one installer and one version of game files and that's that.  It is kinda inevitable that many releases are bound to "get it wrong" when there are many variations to deal with instead of just one.
Yes, that is the part I will never understand, why not just re-use the Lemmings data files from the original disk release, for all the re-releases?

Lemming 2: The Tribes (with bonus Lemmings) only uses 4.25MB, with Lemmings 2 only using 3.47MB. I expect they could have easily just added Lemmings 2 to the existing CD release of the 'Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings' double pack. A triple Lemmings pack, offering CD Audio would have offered much better value.

I believe all known CD-audio versions do not offer the Adlib option, at least based on what I've heard here previously.  If adlib.dat is still included in the game files, there's a decent chance some simple hacking of the game EXE can re-enable it (ie. always do adlib rather than always do CD-audio), like I've done in the past with CustLemm.exe.  Of course, it seems somewhat pointless here when the end result would be more or less the same as playing a floppy release.
The ADLIB.DAT file is included, but there doesn't seem to be any way to enable Adlib support, via the command line at least.

I attached the executable files, if you were curious:
LEMMINGS.EXE uses a CD check, offering setup options when started.
VGALEMMI.EXE runs fine from hard disk, offering EGA/VGA support and all four machine type options.