Poll

What do?

Keep the music packs consistent with the original games
5 (50%)
Keep the music packs consistent with each other
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Music packs - track ordering  (Read 10791 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: Music packs - track ordering
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 02:23:14 AM »
Would MODs be easier to work with? I do have them, but they're in a Cheapo style.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 02:43:01 AM »
If they already loop, then YES, DEFINITELY! I should be able to extract them - if Essman's extractor can't handle them (since Cheapo by default doesn't support MOD; it's the result of a hacked version that added the support, so Essman's tool might not account for it), I can probably work out how to do it manually, and it's probably less hassle.

If they don't already loop properly, then it probably won't make much difference.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 06:30:04 PM »
I have a question and I don't know what better place to ask it:

How can I open up and modify/extract the contents of a music DAT file for NeoLemmix?
It seems like LemResource builder can only create files.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 06:33:23 AM »
Currently there's no way to do so (other than modifying the source code of LemResourceBuilder from the Lemmix source code), but I can probably make something...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 08:05:58 AM »
Here's a modified version of LemResourceBuilder that supports extracting as well as building, and also lets you choose a filename rather than defaulting to "lemmusic.arc".

In regards to the SNES music pack, honestly, I can't be bothered with looping the tracks (and unfortunately, the Cheapo style didn't help). If anyone else wants to modify these IT files to make them loop properly, go ahead and I'll be happy to make a music pack out of them. The first 6 tracks are already done (included in case someone wants to use them for something else).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:15:13 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 01:28:34 PM »
wow, thanks a lot! :thumbsup:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 01:46:29 PM »
For quality purposes on the SNES music it would probably be better to use an ogg conversion instead of an IT conversion, since the SPC to IT converters out there aren't particularly great.  They work, but they lose a large amount of quality in the conversion process. I've found a program that can create SPCs, and the instrument definition is sufficiently different that I'd hazard a guess that the converter is forced to just kinda try to replicate the results.

I've got the ogg files lying around but they're too big to attach and I'm too lazy to find somewhere else to upload them.

Also I haven't bothered with looping either.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »
For quality purposes it would probably be better to use an ogg conversion instead of an IT conversion, since the SPC to IT converters out there aren't particularly great.

I've got the files lying around but they're too big to attach and I'm too lazy to find somewhere else to upload them.

Also I haven't bothered with looping either.

The SPC > IT conversions sound fine to me. It's just a matter of them needing looping added. I've done the first few, but honestly, that stuff kinda gets boring after a few tracks...
Of course, OGG is fine too. Still need proper looping set though if I'm going to pop them up on the website as an "official" music pack.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 01:59:09 PM »
The lemmings conversions do at least still sound passable after the conversion.  I've heard much worse conversions.  I assume it depends on the style of the track.

I'm a bit of a stickler for quality, so I'll always be bothered if it sounds a little off - probably one of the reasons why I was never very fond of the GBA port of Yoshi's Island - it just sounded so wrong to me.  But I don't really use the music packs much anyway, so don't fret too much over catering to my pickiness :P

EDIT:
I tried running one of the conversions myself, and it seems you have a slightly better converter (although it seems to make everything a bit sharp). I wonder if I could use the results of my conversion to improve the tuning of your conversions.  For comparison, here's my conversion output compared to an ogg recording of the original.  The tuning is closer to the original in my it conversion, but yours is better in every other aspect.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:47:16 AM by Dullstar »