Poll

Yay or nay?

Yay!
12 (92.3%)
Nay.
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Possible feature: Achievements  (Read 19749 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: Possible feature: Acheivements
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 12:18:55 AM »
Should there also be Talimans that are related to objects? Examples can include:
-Don't use the radiation/slowfreeze object at all when solving a level.
-Don't use the teleporter as part of the solution. Perplexing 16 "Wiring Defect" comes to mind, though I haven't tested that yet.
-In a locked exit puzzle level, press the buttons in a certain order. For example, in Rough 9 "Collection Pit" ,press the back two buttons first before the front two buttons. Yeah this one's not possible, but it's just an idea.
-Pickup skills - try not to pickup any of them at all.
-Solve a Karoshi level without using the trap.
-Finding a secret level (in which case, the Talisman should say something like "Find the secret level for Nice" etc.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2015, 02:48:22 AM »
The secret level finding should definitely be in there, I'll be sure to add it (though I'm most likely not going to add talismans just for finding secret levels in my packs). As for the others, I'll think about them.

The messages associated with each talisman can be chosen when creating talisman data, so it's up to the pack creator how they want to explain it.

I'm also considering adding "assign skills to one lemming only" and "assign no more than one skill to each lemming".

EDIT: Okay, now that I'm at home rather than replying from a smartphone.

Most of these suggestions, apart from the secret level one, really come down to that most levels are either going to *require* you to use those objects, or to make a point of avoiding them. There may be the odd exception particularly in easier levels (for example, Nice 9 without using the trap, though this is trivial to achieve), but I certianly don't see any that are talisman-worthy, except maybe LPIII Dodgy 11 without the extra builders. However, you can pretty much get the same effect as "don't get the pickup skills" simply with the skill limit-based feature that already exists, by limiting to the (non-pickup-skill) quantities. This doesn't require the player to actually avoid picking up the skills, but does require them to not *use* the extras.

With that being said, if you (or anyone else) are actually working on a Flexi-based pack where you see potential for those, I can maybe implement them. I'll implement the "find a secret trigger" one (note that this would override any save requirement in the same talisman, for obvious reasons; but it could still be combined with time limits or skill limits), and most likely the "skills on one lemming only" and "one skill per lemming" before a general release of the V1.34n update.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:49:22 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »
Alright, so I've added (though have yet to fully test):

> One skill per lemming
> Assigning skills to one lemming only
> Finding a secret level

> Unlocking a secret level when a talisman is unlocked (optional, of course)
> Automatically sorting the talismans. It will sort them first by Bronzes first, then Silvers, then Golds. Within a color, they'll be sorted in the order the levels are in. Finally, in the case of more than one talisman for the same level, they'll be sorted in alphabetical order of their description texts.
> A percentage of talisman completion on the talisman list screen. There is a slight weighting by color; Bronze is worth 3 points, Silver is worth 4 points, and Gold is worth 5 points.
> Fixed the "hold down left/right causes crash" glitch.

I still need to update the Talisman Editor (no, you haven't missed this - I haven't released it yet :) ) to support these new properties, though.

I might see if I can come up with two more for Lemmings Plus I using the new additions (obviously not the find a secret level one); it kinda bugs me to have an incomplete page of them. :P
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:09:20 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2015, 02:08:35 PM »
Okay so, it seems that so far, regarding the implementation of them in-game itself, everything works fine; though there are some things I still need to test (particularly the secret level related features). The Talisman Editor itself though has a few bugs that still need to be ironed out.

Obviously, adding the talisman graphics required a few additions to MAIN.DAT; but the way it's done is such that a new MAIN.DAT will be perfectly compatible with pre-talisman player versions. Likewise; the player has fallback code of using text instead of talisman icons in the case that a MAIN.DAT without talisman graphics is being used, though it goes without saying that it's better to have proper graphics (for one, the fallback text-based code does not differentiate between the three colors, except by the order in the talisman list).

EDIT: Confirmed; both triggering talismans by finding secret levels, and unlocking secret levels by receiving talismans, work. It's also possible to have a talisman that doesn't appear on the list (and doesn't count towards completion percentage) that still unlocks a secret level.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:34:09 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Possible feature: Achievements
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 07:52:49 AM »
From what I can see, there seems to be no problems with the talismans feature; so I'll finish up any other V1.34n fixes (which'll generally be quite minor) then get it released. :)
My Lemmings projects