Author Topic: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #1 (Results)  (Read 13819 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #1 (Results)
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 05:11:12 PM »
^ On that note, I've reset the poll, and only kept the two most popular options from before.
Way ahead of you!

This may bias the poll a bit, but I'm a little uneasy with using features exclusive to SuperLemmini or NeoLemmix just because it excludes designers who aren't familiar with them.  At the same time, demanding players use the unique tilesets in the last competition took me out of my comfort zone a bit and resulted in a pretty nice level, if I do say so myself.

(Updates to the "Precarious Construction" levels on the previous page)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 06:11:55 PM »
That's partly my thought - to encourage people to experiment with the new features / tilesets / etc when they otherwise wouldn't. NeoLemmix in particular has a lot of new features (if you'd like to see them in action, Lemmings Plus Omega uses virtually all of them); SuperLemmini not quite as much but still a few, including some of which NeoLemmix doesn't have.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 10:24:31 PM »
Congratulations Crane for winning the contest!!! :thumbsup:

I voted Crane's Precarious Construction (Part 2) and IchoTolot's Shadowrun in the first round and IchoTolot's Shadowrun in the second round. These two levels I found the most attractive looking, and I found Shadowrun alongside keiya's Careless Oasis to work as the authors wanted them to work. I'm really wondering though that Crane's level actually managed to win after that IchoTolot's level gained 6 votes from 6 voters in the first round against Crane's 4 votes from 6 voters, and the final resulted in Crane's 4-3 victory. :o Did someone change his/her mind in the middle of the contest? :P Anyway, a great rise for the underdog contender to be the final winner after all, Crane! :thumbsup:

IchoTolot, this was the first level I ever played from you and I can say that I am really anticipating your upcoming levelpack, this was fantastic. Crane, same to you, I've waited for your levelpack for few years already, maybe you're still working with it hopefully? :) Anyway, good job all the contenders, I enjoyed a lot playing everyone's levels after getting to used to NeoLemmix also.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 10:26:23 PM »
The last round was extremely close; so I'm guessing that those who mainly voted for Nepster's and/or mobius's levels in the first round ended up preferring Crane's level in the second.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 10:57:11 PM »
Congratulations Crane for winning the contest!!! :thumbsup:

I voted Crane's Precarious Construction (Part 2) and IchoTolot's Shadowrun in the first round and IchoTolot's Shadowrun in the second round. These two levels I found the most attractive looking, and I found Shadowrun alongside keiya's Careless Oasis to work as the authors wanted them to work. I'm really wondering though that Crane's level actually managed to win after that IchoTolot's level gained 6 votes from 6 voters in the first round against Crane's 4 votes from 6 voters, and the final resulted in Crane's 4-3 victory. :o Did someone change his/her mind in the middle of the contest? :P Anyway, a great rise for the underdog contender to be the final winner after all, Crane! :thumbsup:

IchoTolot, this was the first level I ever played from you and I can say that I am really anticipating your upcoming levelpack, this was fantastic. Crane, same to you, I've waited for your levelpack for few years already, maybe you're still working with it hopefully? :) Anyway, good job all the contenders, I enjoyed a lot playing everyone's levels after getting to used to NeoLemmix also.

Thx for the nice comment! :-[ I try to keep up the standard and maybe even improve my creating skills in the progress (esspecially the decorating side, if the terrain maximum allows it), to make the final pack as good as it can get!
I have a little secret about the second voting round: I myself voted for Crane's level  ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 11:28:55 PM »
Thx for the nice comment! :-[ I try to keep up the standard and maybe even improve my creating skills in the progress (esspecially the decorating side, if the terrain maximum allows it), to make the final pack as good as it can get!

The terrain maximum should only really be a problem on traditional Lemmix (and maybe traditional Lemmini, I'm not sure if there's a limit there). NeoLemmix allows 1000 pieces, and I believe SuperLemmini has no limit.

Anyway, while I myself voted for Crane's level, yours was definitely a very good level too - it was kinda hard to pick, to be honest! (In the first round, I voted for both, along with Nepster's.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 11:39:35 PM »
The terrain maximum should only really be a problem on traditional Lemmix (and maybe traditional Lemmini, I'm not sure if there's a limit there). NeoLemmix allows 1000 pieces, and I believe SuperLemmini has no limit.

Anyway, while I myself voted for Crane's level, yours was definitely a very good level too - it was kinda hard to pick, to be honest! (In the first round, I voted for both, along with Nepster's.)

I use Lemmix to create my Lemmini levels, so 400 is maximum. I have already heard that the NeoLemmix/SuperLemmini limit is 1000 and this is definitely a great improvement. Some tilesets (the little Shadow housebricks especially) need a lot more terrain pieces than the other and I like to use a lot of the given space to create my levels.
Maybe after all is set and done and SuperLemmini is at the 1.0 version I try to translate the pack for a "Remastered" version, but for now I use the stable Lemmini version which I am used to play with for the last years.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 11:42:36 PM »
Not sure about the traditional Lemmix editor, but in NeoLemmix Editor (which supports regular Lemmini as well as SuperLemmini), you can have unlimited* pieces if you're working in Lemmini or SuperLemmini styles. I'm not entirely sure if Lemmini itself has a limit though; you may want to ask Tsyu (creator of SuperLemmini) or someone more familiar with it about that.

* Obviously, there's the limit of how much memory your PC has, and in practice, there is a limit - but it's one you're not likely to ever reach even ignoring memory limitations; just under 2.2 billion of each type of object.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:52:51 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects