Author Topic: 3D-printed Talisman pendant v2, in golden metal  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
3D-printed Talisman pendant v2, in golden metal
« on: January 23, 2015, 03:05:28 AM »
This pendant/keychain is a follow-up to my plastic 3D-printed Talisman pendant from last year, which I created using Shapeways' 2D to 3D tool and their automated thin wall fixer.

This one was designed for me by someone else, who was much better at getting the best out of the 2D to 3D tool than I was. This one did not require the thin wall fixer's intervention, and the results are better and many more details shine through (if you'll pardon the pun). Also, to go with the much better design, I got this one in Shapeways' Polished Gold Steel material (though, when Shapeways says "polished", they actually mean "tumbled", as is done to take the sharp edges off of dice and other similar objects), which looks really cool, and recently became much more affordable thanks to changes in how the company charges for their services.

The result arrived a day or two ago - take a look.

As with my plastic version it's about the size of a coin, though at a smidge over an inch across this one is very slightly bigger than the old one. I think it turned out absolutely stunning - I only wish that it weren't so expensive to print a larger "life size" one!

EDIT: Added a better picture with a keyring attachment present for scale.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:53:44 AM by Prob Lem »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: 3D-printed Talisman pendant v2, in golden metal
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:22:03 AM »
This is a very nice one. At first v2 looks much thinner than v1, but v2 has many fun details from the original game image.

The different colors come from different roughness? I don't think there's extra paint besides the yellow color of the casting material.

The attachment for the keyring, outside of the main circle, looks naturally placed. :-)

And from IRC: <geoo> the talisman looks awesome btw

-- Simon

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: 3D-printed Talisman pendant v2, in golden metal
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:39:46 PM »
Thanks very much, guys. :thumbsup:

Funnily enough, v2 is actually only 1mm thinner than v1, even though it looks more so.

As for the different colours, they're just a result of how my camera flash hit it, I think - the colour is totally uniform in person (natural roughness from 3D-printing aside). There are a couple of black specks in it that you might be able to spot, but that's just support material that I hadn't removed when I took the photograph. :D