Author Topic: Release Rate  (Read 3317 times)

Mariachi Skeletron Prime

Release Rate
« on: November 29, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this but...
How does release rate work? Just of curiosity.

???

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Release Rate
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 06:30:58 PM »
Well, in layman's terms, the higher it is, the shorter the delay between individual lemmings exiting the trapdoors.  In terms of a mathematical equation, I confess I'm not entirely sure.  I'm not sure how much of a help this is, but:

- Lemmings come out about twice as fast at 50 than they do at 01.
- Lemmings come out about twice as fast at 80 than they do at 50.
- Lemmings come out about twice as fast at 99 than they do at 88.

I haven't tried it in other versions, but on a custom level in WinLemm once, I accidentally set the release rate to about 250 or so, which caused the lemmings to come out extremely bunched up.  I think there was only a single frame's delay between each lemming, so at an educated guess, I think it is related to how many frames pass between each lemming, something in the form of a(b - x), where a and b are constants (a might be simply 1) and x is the release rate.  And if b - x is zero or negative, then it naturally pegs at 1 frame due to the way it is programmed.

I may be way off, of course, but that's just from a programmer's and mathematician's observation.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 07:06:20 PM »
It's (107 - x)/2. In other words, a release rate of 99 is four frames between spawns, and every RR decrease of 2 is one additional frame. Decreasing the RR by 1 has no effect, so an even RR is exactly equivalent to the odd number one higher.

This means that RR 91 is eight frames (half as fast as 99). RR 1 is 53 frames; RR 50 (or 51) is 28.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 07:30:52 PM »
Nice one Proxima - thanks.