Author Topic: character design for next version of Cheapo  (Read 13472 times)

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
Re: character design for next version of Cheapo
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005, 05:30:49 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1106182238/0#14 date=1106752720
In other words, a style editor. &#A0;Yes, that would be useful.

This probably should go under the "suggestion for next version of Cheapo" thread however, not this "character design" thread.

And in that thread, I thought for sure that I mentioned that I made a style editor. It's complete now and pretty cool.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2005, 06:16:32 PM »
Yeah, you definitely mentioned it... awesome feature it'll be.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2005, 04:41:39 AM »
I repeat my idea:

I've an idea: What about moles? They're blind and make tunnels everywhere!

I imagine them with sunglasses and a cap! Isn't it? :D
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Conway

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2005, 05:44:56 PM »
Yes, moles would be cute!

Dragon, 'Isn't it?' isn't really a valid question there. 'Isn't it?' normally follows a statement, such as 'This lemming is cute, isn't it?', meaning either you don't know, or you're asking for another opinion. So a better sentence would be:

I imagine them with sunglasses and a cap! Wouldn't that be good/cool/cute (whatever adjective you want to describe them with)?
or
 I imagine them with sunglasses and a cap! Don't I? But that wouldn't really make sense either, although it would be more grammaticaly correct. :P

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 01:20:24 PM »
Yeah, this is what I meant. ;P
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2005, 09:01:59 PM »
hey, if every one of us made our own personal style of lemmings (which would be alot of work, but if we really wanted it...), wouldn't it still be legal as long as we didn't give them to anyone?

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 01:36:41 AM »
It doesn't affect the legality of Cheapo I guess, but the style creator himself is technically violating copyrights I think.  Unless you don't even distirbute any levels that uses the style in question, but then why create the style in the first place?

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 01:40:17 AM »
Okay, after reading this, could you answer my question again?

I do not intend for anyone to distribute levels with their own lemmings.  I intend the lemmings to be for personal use only.

You can make your own so you can play levels for your own personal enjoyment.  They're still fun even if you don't distribute them!

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2005, 03:44:09 AM »
Sorry, I got confused and forgotten the fact that the styles themselves aren't actually attached with the levels and levelsets, just the name of the styles.  So ignore my comment.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2005, 03:47:41 AM »
I'm obviously not a lawyer, but from a practical point of view, no one's going to bother you for stuff you made that is used entirely by yourself, since it's rather hard for them to find out w/o invasion of privacy if you don't distribute it in any form.

Conway

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2005, 01:56:52 PM »
This is a difficult subject, since Cheapo style format isn't widely known. If the game was released with image files of traditional looking lemmings and similar graphics to the original game, which Cheapo referred to to generate the graphics, it would likely be in breach of copyright. But since the graphics files are exclusively reserved for Cheapo, it might be different, especially if the graphics files are all downloaded separately. In fact, is that why in the second edition of Cheapo the style files were downloaded separately from the rest of the game, Essman?

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2005, 05:49:46 PM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1106182238/15#25 date=1107439012
In fact, is that why in the second edition of Cheapo the style files were downloaded separately from the rest of the game, Essman?

The game did come with many style files. They are separate files because when you make a style, it is stored in a file... uh... yeah.

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2005, 07:38:21 PM »
This is a difficult subject, since Cheapo style format isn't widely known.

I don't think file format matters at all.  It's just that by separating the styles as separate files and have them distribute separately (namely, not bundled with Cheapo), Cheapo can distance itself away from the I.P. issues associated with the unauthorize use and distribution of the graphics in question.  In other words, the issue gets hand off to the style creators and distributors.

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2005, 07:38:55 PM »
This is a difficult subject, since Cheapo style format isn't widely known.

I don't think file format matters at all.  It's just that by separating the styles as separate files and have them distribute separately (namely, not bundled with Cheapo), Cheapo can distance itself away from the I.P. issues associated with the unauthorize use and distribution of the graphics in question.

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2005, 07:44:20 PM »
Sorry for the double post.  The computer's having trouble navigating and posting on this forum right now.