Author Topic: DOS music and sound effects for Lemmix? an idea.  (Read 13119 times)

Zaphod77

DOS music and sound effects for Lemmix? an idea.
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:10:43 AM »
http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Lemmings_(DOS) ,vgm format rips. using vgmplay they seem to sound okay. they have proper loop points in them.

now we just need a c++ dynamic library that can play these. i'm sure there's one hiding somewhere. :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: DOS music and sound effects for Lemmix? an idea.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 02:46:27 PM »
Lemmix is Delphi, not C++, though that doesn't preclude the use of DLLs as far as I'm aware (but using a Delphi library would be even more effective if one exists).

Either way, if in general a way can be found to do this (whether finding a way to use those, or converting to another format that can be implemented more easily) I'm happy to implement those musics into the traditional players, and support for the format into NeoLemmix.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Zaphod77

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »
yeah i know there isn't a delphi library, but that c++ ones can by dynamically linked, though there's no reason a ym3812 emulator can't be written in Delphi, and this particular data format is well documented.  just not my area of expertise. :) i'm better at messing with existing code.

as for the ingame sounds other then the music and intro, those are trivially captured and isolated from dosbox by playing in FX mode. I'm confident the only reason this hasn't been done is that the dos music isn't playing yet. :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 05:42:21 PM »
If anyone makes the effort to get the accurate DOS sounds (in fact, I believe some but not all of them are included in the Lemmix source), I'm more than happy to implement them too.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Zaphod77

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 06:22:48 PM »
ask and you shall receive.

http://eunich.cochems.com/~zaphod/doslemsounds/

only one thing i haven't captured. the skill change sound is buggy, and will do one of FOUR things.  1) low bong. 2) higher bong 3) high bong followed by lower bong 4) lower bong followed by higher bong. I only captured the lower bong.  the logic of replicating whihc happens is, well... rather impossibel to work out.

what I have.
dos version of "let's go"
dos version of hatch opening
dos version of lemming exits level
DOs version of "oh no!" plays when a bomber stops moving, INCLUDING NUKES!  yes this means that in dos lemmings, every single lemming nuked goes oh no! Lemmix not doing this is WRONG!
dos version of explosion
dos version of last 3 bricks clink
change skill sound
assign skill sound.

now i have to get the various death sounds.  this is gonna be a pain. will upload them later.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 06:34:51 PM »
Sweet, I'll get onto implementing them (not a very complicated task) once we have the whole set.

As for the musics - I've got together all the tracks in VGM format (including ONML and Xmas/Holiday, which weren't on the link you've provided). Now if either a way can be found to play them in a Delphi app, or a way to convert them to MOD/IT/XM/a related format...
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 07:51:37 PM »
and all the remaining sound effects are now ripped and uploaded. :)

every single different trap that I can remember, as well as drowning, splatting, and breaking your pick on steel.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
Side trap and smasher seem to be the same sound (there again, Lemmix source code doesn't seem to use different sounds for them either), and you're missing the sound for the ten ton trap (it appears in, at the very least, Taxing 2).

As a side note, the bear trap sound has a lot of silence on either side. This is well within my capabilities to fix, though if you're planning to share these sounds in general you may want to fix that.
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »
dammit i knew i forgot something...

gonna grab that one.

okay fixed. i messed up and exported instead of exported selection on the bear trap.

and weight trap sound  is up now.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »
I've implemented the DOS sounds. I had a look at how I could possibly go about doing the DOS music; the one possibility seems to be swapping out BassMod for the full-fledged Bass, plus using the plugin for that that allows WinAmp input plugins, and finally combining that with the Winamp in_vgm plugin... a lot of work... (Plus, I've had zero luck with simply the first step of that, swapping in Bass... best result I can get is compiling without error but not playing any music.)

(The one alternative option is to instead use looped OGGs, which still requires swapping out BassMod for Bass, and will result in players about 8MB in size, at least for orig; OhNo and Xmas/H94 will be significantly less due to having far fewer tracks. By comparison, the above option would only increase the size by about 500KB.)

I did consider the option of converting the VGMs to a more BassMod-friendly format, but while there's a convertor to convert XM to VGM, there doesn't appear to be anything in reverse. There is a VGM to MID convertor (and MIDs can then be converted to IT or XM very easily), but the output results tend to not sound too much like the original track...
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 03:34:56 AM »
https://code.google.com/p/game-music-emu/

this library will apparently playback the vgm files. 

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 03:49:52 AM »
That's for C or C++, not Delphi. I already came across that one while looking around for something. Unfortunately C/C++ just confuse the heck out of me, so I can't do much with that - if anyone else can either convert it to Delphi or build a DLL out of it, I can probably make use of it.
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 06:53:11 AM »
did someone say DLL?

http://eunich.cochems.com/~zaphod/libgme.dll

might be good for playing other consoles' musics too. :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 07:03:28 AM »
Wow, awesome! I'll see what I can do with that. :)

...first, I'll need to decode at least enough of the C/C++ code to work out what interfaces I should be using (and how to use them)... but that'll surely be easier than trying to translate the code, at least. :P
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 07:39:21 AM »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 07:51:00 AM »
May as well be Russian to me... as I said, I don't get C++. I found some code to use a version of the library with Game Maker, but that isn't making much more sense - I can at least get from that, for example, what the interfaces are and how many arguments they take (there again, that's assuming the code isn't modified, which it probably is given Game Maker's stringent requirements for DLL interfaces), but it doesn't really say anything about what the values are supposed to be. (For example, the Init function has a value passed to it, which I have no idea what it's meant to be for.)
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 07:55:30 AM »
ok, i compiled a new one. this one shoudl actually play the YGM files right.  now if I just knew how to test it in Delphi...

Zaphod77

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 08:15:38 PM »
also i found this little progam..

http://grompe.org.ru/files/opl2wav.zip

an example for inking in an opl2 emulator. sadly it doesn't understand vgm files, though. but it JUST might be helpful. can't vouch for the quality. ther'es supposedly a converter to xm, but well, i don't think it's perfect.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 12:38:54 AM »
ok, i compiled a new one. this one shoudl actually play the YGM files right.  now if I just knew how to test it in Delphi...

If you can let me know what it's interfaces are (at least the ones needed to initialize it, play music, stop music and free it from memory - I don't think any others are needed, though volume control might be nice to have too), I can do the testing.
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 03:07:30 AM »
i'm still not an expert, but..

i also uploaded what I believe is the right header file, which exposes the interfaces you will need. part of the problem is that one of the parameters for the appropriate functions is a pointer to a class that the library uses.

http://eunich.cochems.com/~zaphod/libgme.dll

perhaps this article will be useful.

http://www.drbob42.com/delphi/headconv.htm

the needed functions are

* Open the file with gme_open_file()
* Start a track with gme_start_track();
* Generate samples as needed with gme_play()
* Play samples through speaker using your operating system
* Delete emulator when done with gme_delete()

the header file has the function definitions. the issue is the gme_t parameter bit, which totally confuses me.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »
Where's the header file?
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »
Can't make much sense of that. I sort of get how that works in general, but I'd have to work with raw samples then, which I'd either need to manually process the output (which I have no idea how it's done), or pass it through to Bass.dll (and if I'm going to do that, I may as well just go with the plugin method).

I've had some success with Bass.dll now - I've successfully played an *external* MOD file. Still need to get it playing an internal one; once I can do that, I can try and extend that to VGM support. I'm using the same pointer (which should work) as works perfectly fine with BassMod to refer to the music in memory, so I'm not sure why it's not working. It gives a "cannot open file" error, which suggests maybe it's mistakenly trying to open an actual file even though it's specifically stated that it should be attempting to load from memory. :/
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 02:06:36 AM »
Well, i look forward to this getting worked out. :)  and hope i've been at least some help.

did you look over opl2wav?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 02:53:12 AM »
Didn't look at that one yet, must've missed the comment about it.

And you've definitely been some help - if nothing else, you at least pointed me in the right direction of where to *get* the music files themself, as well as pushed me towards being more determined to get it working one way or another.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 05:56:48 AM »
Progress: The same can now be acheived with an internal BASS.DLL (instead of BASS.DLL having to be seperate from the Lemmix EXE). I'll test if this makes a difference with playing from memory; it's the *one* factor that was different between the two before (apart from whether BassMod or Bass was being used) so while I can't see *why* it would, I'll see if it does.

EDIT: It makes no difference to that, sadly. I'll have to look more into this; but at least I've got BASS.DLL loading from inside the EXE instead of an external file. That's another thing that has to be done anyway for this to eventually work.

EDIT: GOT IT! It appears that unlike BassMod, Bass cannot automatically determine the size of the MOD data, and it instead must be specifically passed to it. Once I adjusted for that, it works perfectly fine!

Now, on to adding VGM support. It appears Bass plugins cannot be loaded from memory, and thus must be a proper external DLL file. I've asked on the Bass forums in case there's a way around this, but it seems the closest workaround might be needing to extract the plugin DLLs at runtime. Alternatively, looped OGGs could be used at this point, it would seem.

OKAY, MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!
I can load the Winamp Inputs plugin (but not yet in_vgm itself) from memory, and, for the first time, HAVE SUCCESSFULLY PLAYED A VGM AS BACKGROUND MUSIC! However, there are other issues, like not stopping correctly - still need to work on this one. However, it means we're getting closer to it!

Another issue I'll have to look into is that currently, the tracks loop twice then fade out. But that should be a simple fix, just have to find the right configuration option.

EDIT: Fixed the not-stopping-correctly issue. Still need to fix the looping issue.
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 08:19:07 AM »
yes, default is to loop twice and fade.

you need to change it to infinite loop. but not sure how to configure a plugin when used with bass

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
I found a way around that. But something I've done is now causing heaps of random crashes... not sure why, it was working fine a while ago. I'll have to try and fix it now... >_>
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »
Alright, at this stage I've got it down to three possible options depending on slight changes, none of which are ideal:

1) The music plays the first time. It'll loop infinitely, but if it's actually stopped (by ending the level or turning music off), no more music will play on future levels / retries / when the music is turned back on.
2) The music plays. Apart from the first time, it glitches, and a crash soon follows.
3) The music doesn't play (but no crashes).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
I'm over it. I can't find ANY logical reason why it's giving these problems with VGM, so I'm over trying to make it play them properly.

Instead, I'm now turning my attention to the OGG method, which is working perfectly - and doesn't require any hacky workarounds for saving the DLLs internally (as it only uses BASS.DLL which has no problems). I'm now trying to see what I can do to minimize the size of the OGG files.

At this point, I have OGG files playing completely internally (both the bass.dll and the OGGs themself), as well as being able to combine OGG and IT files in the same player. (Actually, *any* format that BASS supports should work, but it only looks for "IT" or "OGG" extensions - but you could just rename another file to .IT (if it's a MOD-based format) or .OGG (anything else) and it should work.)

Now, earlier I mentioned this would give a huge filesize right? Well there's no way around that apart from killing the quality of the music... so I came up with a kind of workaround to that, too! By default they'll still have the Amiga versions internally. I'll put up a second, optional download, which contains the OGGs of the DOS music packed into one file - drop this file into the same folder, and it'll load the DOS musics from that instead and play those.
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
random crashes usually means that you are forgetting to free stuff, or using uninitialized pointers.

maybe if I had your WIP source that was using in_vgm i could puzzle out the crash.  i'm pretty good at that.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »
Nah, I triple-checked that everything was being freed and loaded correctly. Or at least that the code was there - it appeared that Bass simply wasn't freeing the loaded music correctly. At any rate, I didn't save the code once I started working on the OGG method. It's not much different from the current code for OGG (some of it might even still be in there commented out), except with extra/changed lines to use the BASS WinAMP plugin and of course load in_vgm accordingly. GameModPlay.pas if you're interested.
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »
I'm not sure how you would do this, but nuking behavior is not right with the sound effects still.

When yo do a nuke, or in fact with any non music sounds, they are spread out across the available channels of the OPL2 chip.

Assuming the chip is in 6 channel plus percussion mode, which is likely as many songs did use percussion, and that the musics used 3 channels plus percussion (seems about right) remaining sounds are split up among the remaining three channels.

So to correctly replicate sound behavior for DOS< you need to reserve a fixed number of channels for sound playback, which each sound replacing the one on the next channel if there is one.  I think the right number is three, but if the percussion wasn't made with percussion mode, there could be up to five.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »
I *should* be able to do this now that the players are using Bass. If someone can confirm how many sound channels there are, I'll look into that.
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 01:11:49 AM »
I know for a fact that the chip is in either 6+percussion or 9 channel mode, because there are no others.

I also know from testing that the channels dedicated to the music are never overwritten.

I'm not sure if it's even possible to work out a priority.  but in the absence of info, i'd do it like this.

Allocate one channel specifically for last three bricks clink.  any click on it will override te existing one. this ensures nothing else overrides it ever.

Allocate one channel for UI sounds, so those never get overridden either. I'm pretty sure the game does not do this, but i think it's good.

My testing suggests the following behavior. THREE sound channels are shared for all sound effects, the first free channel is used for the sound effect, and a channel is considered free 500 ms after a sound has started on it. sounds that happen when there are no fee channels are ignored.  If music is disabled, then six channels are free instead.  Exception: Trap sounds do take up the channel for their entire time. it's just the boing sound really that lasts after the channel is considered free.

I figured this out by nuking with a lot of lemmings on the screen.

Zaphod77

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2014, 05:27:20 AM »
any progress on this? it's the main thing that's still bugging me about lemmix, especially since i now can run orig in dosbox without graphical glitches.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2014, 06:28:33 AM »
I haven't looked at it again yet, sorry. I'll look at it now and see what I can do.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2014, 09:20:20 AM »
Almost got it; the only thing left to do is to implement the different number of channels depending on whether music is enabled or not.

EDIT: Done. Note that it doesn't stop excess channels if you turn the music on mid-game. In essence, the extra 3 channels are always there, but no sound will be started on them if music is playing (however, if one's already playing when you turn the music on, it'll finish as normal).
My Lemmings projects