Author Topic: Lemmings Merchandise Index  (Read 5052 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Lemmings Merchandise Index
« on: May 25, 2014, 11:48:15 PM »
I wanted to start an effort to list what little official Lemmings merchandise exists. I've compiled this over time by reading/viewing various sources, and, of course, by collecting things myself.

It does not include fan-made items (that's a whole other topic in and of itself!), cancelled official ones, game guides, or short-run shop displays like standees and posters, and I'm leaving out pictures because otherwise maintaining this could become a nightmare as I don't own all of these items personally. ;P

Before I begin, since I can't include them in the list, an honourable mention must go to the official plush toys that were prototyped for the UK market, circa 1992/1993. What little information about them exists is recorded here and here, and this includes a photograph posted by the owner of the surviving prototype. They would have been made in poses resembling the in-game tasks, had they gone to production, which they sadly didn't. Unfortunately, it's very likely that the pattern was destroyed when production was cancelled, too...

Anyway, on with the list!

Accessories
Lemmings 2: The Tribes Mug (Sold directly by Psygnosis via a mail order form included with certain European big-box editions of Lemmings 2) (UK & Europe, 1993)

Lemmings 3D Keyring (Origin unknown, but release would have coincided with the game's release in late 1995)

Lemmings Stickers (Magazine cover-gift, included with the first issue of the extremely short-lived two-issues-long comic series, Max Overload!, from Dark Horse) (UK, US, & Canada, 1994)

"Save the Lemmings" Sticker (A round sticker based on the original game's box-art, with the slogan "Save the Lemmings" written on it; Said to be a US trade-show freebie) (US, 1991)

Badges
Lemmings Floater Pin (UK, 1991; From this page of The History of DMA Design - "This badge was only ever given to the developers and the press, and as such are very rare. DMA got a stack of them and gave away quite a few in competitions - along with some signed boxes.")

Holiday Lemmings Pin (Origin and release date unknown)

Lemmings 2: The Tribes Pins (12 pins, one representing each tribe; The Classic Tribe is represented by a Floater, but it is very different to the Lemmings 1 Floater pin. One pin was included with certain big-box editions of Lemmings 2 in Europe, and to allow you to complete the set they were also sold directly by Psygnosis via a mail order form included with European big-box releases of Lemmings 2) (UK & Europe, 1993)

Books
The Story of the 12 Tribes of Lemming Island ...or the day Jimmy McLemming wished he'd stayed in bed (Included with big-box releases of Lemmings 2: The Tribes; Was translated into several languages apart from the original English version) (Worldwide, 1993)

Lemmings Adventure Gamebook 1 - The Genesis Quest (UK, 1995)

Lemmings Adventure Gamebook 2 - The Hypnosis Enigma (UK, 1995)

Clothing
Lemmings 2: The Tribes T-shirt (A light grey printed t-shirt sold directly by Psygnosis via a mail order form included with big-box editions of Lemmings 2 in Europe) (UK & Europe, 1993)

Music
Lemmings by SFX (A single issued on vinyl, cassette tape, and CD; Promoted via a leaflet included with certain big-box editions of Lemmings 2 in Europe) (UK, 1993)

Toys
Lemmings LCD Game (Made by electronic games and toys company, Systema) (UK; Release date unknown, but very likely to have been 1993 as this was when licensing of computer and video game-related goods really began to take off in the UK)

PSP Lemmings Inflatable Lemming (Given away by Sony as prizes for a competition promoting the PSP version of Lemmings; Some sources suggest that they were also given to shops to use as display items) (US, 2006)

That's the list so far. If anyone knows of anything that's missing from the list that has been proven to exist, please post. I'd love to get every known official Lemmings merchandise item written down here!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:06:31 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Merchandise Index
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
Hi Prob Lem

Interesting topic you have started here. I had a look at that old plush lemming toy, I wonder how many of them exist now from back around the (1992)-(1993) time.

I've saw a couple of things on amazon the weird thing is that lemmings paintball only costs a penny unless there's some hidden charge that I have not noticed yet.  :P Also you can buy the genesis quest book from there I'm sure.

I wonder if there is any place you could buy the lemmings tribe mug from, probably not many places exist for this one now but then again I could be wrong, I was always thinking about buying something that reminds of the fantastic game that is lemmings. Having a lemming sit beside me at the computer would be nice.

I hope we can find some more items from back in the day.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »
Interesting topic you have started here. I had a look at that old plush lemming toy, I wonder how many of them exist now from back around the (1992)-(1993) time.
According to the owner of that one, there were only a couple made, and as far as he knows, his is the only one that survived!

I've saw a couple of things on amazon the weird thing is that lemmings paintball only costs a penny unless there's some hidden charge that I have not noticed yet.  :P Also you can buy the genesis quest book from there I'm sure.
There'd surely be a postage charge from the seller, but even with that added, it'll still only be a few pounds. :thumbsup:

I wonder if there is any place you could buy the lemmings tribe mug from, probably not many places exist for this one now but then again I could be wrong, I was always thinking about buying something that reminds of the fantastic game that is lemmings. Having a lemming sit beside me at the computer would be nice.
I have no idea how many of those Psygnosis actually produced and sold. I suspect that these days, you're more likely to find unofficially-produced mugs that may look similar.

I hope we can find some more items from back in the day.
Same here, though as far as I know, there isn't anywhere near as much as there is for some of the other game series of that era!

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »
Surprise news from the other day!

http://t.co/Bswspq4MgB

Will have to be careful what i use for my perks now, dont want Sony jumping down my back!
Wow, that's great news!! Thanks so much for the heads-up.

It's very nice to finally no longer be able to justifiably say that Sony is allowing the series to decay and be forgotten. :)

The licensing programme described there is spookily reminiscent of an article I wrote here on the forums back in July, though minus the blind-bags idea, haha. :D But then, I wrote the article with an eye on present-day licensing programmes and modelled it on those.

My wallet is already crying from the incoming impact. :thumbsup:

Maybe you can arrange to obtain stock of some of these items for the perks?

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 06:45:59 PM »
Incidentally, I should note that as of this announcement, I have now officially retired from taking commissions for my custom plush lemmings. It's a strict policy of mine not to make plushes of characters who have, or have had, officially-released plushes. :thumbsup:

Still hugely interested in seeing what you decide to go with for the Kickstarter rewards, too. :D

Offline lemmingsuniverse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 04:56:01 PM »
Thanks for posting all this (4 years ago!). Some things missing:

- T shirts for other series
- Cardboard standups (maybe not strictly merchandise, as I think they were promotional items for retailers)
- Posters

Also, the Lemmings 2 T shirt I have is black, not light grey. So possibly produced in multiple colors. Most of the items on the Lemmings Universe Collectibles Page are in my personal collection (along with a few other things not mentioned there). I should dig that stuff out of storage and see if I have anything else not listed here.