Author Topic: SuperLemmini 0.104a  (Read 171574 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.98
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2014, 11:36:38 PM »
I think I found a bug:
A climber gets stuck at the top of the screen. The best way to demonstrate it is; download this level and play it. Make a climber going left at the top. He get's stuck at the crook where he should just turn around.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.98a
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2014, 01:17:35 AM »
Not sure if this matters anymore; [it certainly matters with Lemmix and on Old Lemmini] you have 64 terrain pieces labeled in the ini file for bubble but it should be 68 with the new steel there.
Oops! Yes, you're right--the tiles parameter should be 68. This is fixed in 0.98a, which is available now.

I think I found a bug:
A climber gets stuck at the top of the screen. The best way to demonstrate it is; download this level and play it. Make a climber going left at the top. He get's stuck at the crook where he should just turn around.
I tried your level in the Amiga version by hacking a savestate, and the same thing happened. So, I don't consider this to be a SuperLemmini bug. To prevent this from happening in the Amiga version, I had to move the "spoke" thing to the left by 5 pixels. I suggest doing the same thing to your level, but move it by 10 pixels to account for the doubled resolution.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2014, 10:02:28 AM »
This is just a suggestion, but for levels that have an "Author" field, can it be displayed under "Rating" on the info screen, possibly in the red letters used to display the level name? (I don't think there's another colour that isn't used).

Formatting should be straightforward and obvious: "Author" is aligned with "Rating", and the author name is left-aligned with whatever the rating is.

EDIT: I had pondered about an "Auto-nuke" option, which you can turn on and off in the dialogs, where the nuke is automatically triggered if all the lemmings are out of the trapdoors and the only ones left on the field are blockers, but I realised there may be situations where this is undesirable (i.e. bombing a blocker releases another due to blasting the floor away).  It's more of an anti-frustration feature for beginners on, say, Tailor-made for Blockers.  Would an "Auto-nuke" feature be viable under the following conditions?

- All lemmings have entered the level.
- The only lemmings still on the field are blockers.
- You have no bombers (and a blocker doesn't have a countdown over his head).

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2014, 05:22:55 AM »
This is just a suggestion, but for levels that have an "Author" field, can it be displayed under "Rating" on the info screen, possibly in the red letters used to display the level name? (I don't think there's another colour that isn't used).

Formatting should be straightforward and obvious: "Author" is aligned with "Rating", and the author name is left-aligned with whatever the rating is.
I think I can still fit that in. Keep in mind that the hint feature needs a place for the "Show Hint" button, and it's currently placed just above the "Start Level" and "Menu" buttons (although it doesn't appear unless the level has hints and the player has failed the level three times). Also, I want there to always be a gap between the level info and the buttons below.

The author field will probably go below the level name rather than the rating.

EDIT: I had pondered about an "Auto-nuke" option, which you can turn on and off in the dialogs, where the nuke is automatically triggered if all the lemmings are out of the trapdoors and the only ones left on the field are blockers, but I realised there may be situations where this is undesirable (i.e. bombing a blocker releases another due to blasting the floor away).  It's more of an anti-frustration feature for beginners on, say, Tailor-made for Blockers.  Would an "Auto-nuke" feature be viable under the following conditions?

- All lemmings have entered the level.
- The only lemmings still on the field are blockers.
- You have no bombers (and a blocker doesn't have a countdown over his head).
If more people want this feature, I'll look into adding it.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2015, 01:40:12 AM »
it seems that if certain objects overlap; like an arrow is near by an exit. The exit does not work.
It doesn't matter which object is on top in the list, the exit is always canceled.
Note that in my test; the objects were not really overlapping at all; at least from the viewpoint of the editor; the boundary box of the arrows were several pixels below the exit.
I attached the level I discovered this on. I found the glitch when the arrows were even lower.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2015, 01:50:53 AM »
It's rather hard for me to imagine people not knowing about nuking, Lemmings being rather (in)famous for it.  Also, does SuperLemmini support something like pressing ESC to end the level early without even bothering to nuke?  The official classic versions of Lemmings (eg. PC, Amiga etc.) all support that AFAIK.  Even some ported versions on consoles like SNES/Genesis support such an abort with specific 2-button combinations (like Start+Select on SNES, IIRC).  Maybe it's better to look into how best to introduce truly new players on the manual nuke feature instead?

Example:  maybe instead of auto-nuking, the same conditions just trigger the nuke button to flash.  If the player single-clicks on the button (assuming SuperLemmini requires double-clicking to activate like in classic Lemmings), pop-up some text informing player to click second time to nuke for sure.  (This special help text can be a one-time thing too, or not.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:58:14 AM by ccexplore »

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2015, 07:30:44 AM »
it seems that if certain objects overlap; like an arrow is near by an exit. The exit does not work.
It doesn't matter which object is on top in the list, the exit is always canceled.
Note that in my test; the objects were not really overlapping at all; at least from the viewpoint of the editor; the boundary box of the arrows were several pixels below the exit.
I attached the level I discovered this on. I found the glitch when the arrows were even lower.
Where two objects' trigger areas overlap, the object with the higher index number (that is, lower in the list) takes priority. Also, the trigger areas of the one-way arrows in the default styles are positioned 8 pixels above the actual object (which is how they are in the original games). All you need to do is assign the exit a higher index number than the arrows immediately below it--that worked for me.

Also, does SuperLemmini support something like pressing ESC to end the level early without even bothering to nuke?
ESC ends a level in SuperLemmini (but not Lemmini).

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.99
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2015, 11:43:23 PM »
SuperLemmini 0.99 is out, now with proper replay support for external levels! This should make level testing much easier in cases where replays are useful.

Here is the list of changes:
  • SuperLemmini now remembers which external levels have been loaded.
  • Replay files now save the names of ratings and levels in addition to their names, helping SuperLemmini to find the correct level in case levels or ratings get shuffled. This means that replays for external levels can be loaded reliably if the level is in the level list and the level's name has not been changed.
  • When the level selection dialog is opened, the current level is now automatically selected.
  • If a level that is already in the external levels list is reloaded, a duplicate entry is no longer made.
  • The level briefing now displays the level author below the rating if the level specifies an author.
  • Added support for NeoLemmix's Cheapo fall distance "gimmick."
  • Fixed a bug that would cause level extraction to fail on systems that use case-sensitive file names (such as Linux).
  • The author field in the level-selection dialog is now cleared when no level is selected.
  • If a sound channel cannot be opened, SuperLemmini no longer tries to use it to play sound effects.

For those who are wondering, the next version will almost certainly not be 1.0; it will probably be either 0.100 or 0.99a.

Editing the original post will take a while since the edit button gives me the post with HTML markup rather than BBCode, so I'll put the links here for now:
Build (this is probably what you want): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89353583/Lemmings/Lemmini/superlemmini_0.99.zip
Source: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89353583/Lemmings/Lemmini/superlemmini_0.99_source.zip

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2015, 11:49:23 PM »
Some excellent updates! Thanks for your hardwork!  :thumbsup:

your edit button problem sounds like a bug with the site?  ???

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2015, 12:03:07 AM »
your edit button problem sounds like a bug with the site?  ???
The problem appears to happen only with posts that were imported from the old site, so it's probably just the way that the posts were added. (And I already fixed and updated the original post; the second post will be fixed eventually.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2015, 12:11:50 AM »
(And I already fixed and updated the original post; the second post will be fixed eventually.)

Done. :)
While importing every post with proper BBCode is not feasible (other than by writing a snippet of code to revert it, which would in itself be very complicated), it's pretty easy to fix up individual posts on a case-by-case basis.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline lemming_1

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
  • Fixed a bug that would cause level extraction to fail on systems that use case-sensitive file names (such as Linux).

Thanks Tsyu, you are the best! It works perfectly now  :thumbsup:

BradLee

« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2015, 02:07:53 AM »
Playing with this now... VERY cool.  :thumbsup:

One question I have though... is it possible to run this on an Android phone/tablet/emulator?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:54:27 AM by BradLee »

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2015, 10:52:14 PM »
One question I have though... is it possible to run this on an Android phone/tablet/emulator?
Most likely not. From what I can tell, Android does not officially support Java. There are a number of Java emulators for Android, but I don't know how well SuperLemmini works in any of them or if it works in them at all. And a native Android version is probably never going to happen.

BradLee

« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2015, 12:25:47 AM »
Thanks, but I've tried them all and they all crash straight away and spit out errors before even starting.

It's such a shame that you don't plan on an Android port, because SuperLemmini is an otherwise great Lemmings engine. Unfortunately it's just on the wrong operating system for me.  :(