Author Topic: SuperLemmini 0.104a  (Read 171523 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.97
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2014, 11:57:31 AM »
Erk, sorry.  Modified for future viewers.  I thought most people knew it by now, especially as a video of its solution has been posted.  Still... surrounded in spoiler quotes now.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »
Erk, sorry.  Modified for future viewers.  I thought most people knew it by now, especially as a video of its solution has been posted.  Still... surrounded in spoiler quotes now.

It's always better to be safe than sorry. There's some people here who refuse to even so much as read hints on levels they haven't solved yet. I myself prefer not to see them until I've at least given the level plenty of tries.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »
Apologies again.  I just wanted to give a good example.  I should have known better, especially as I suggested the hints not be available until you fail the level three times in a row.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »
Apologies again.  I just wanted to give a good example.  I should have known better, especially as I suggested the hints not be available until you fail the level three times in a row.

No worries. We all make that mistake sometimes (especially without the existance of a proper spoiler tag).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2014, 12:32:15 AM »
"Load level" is now "add external levels." And I don't see how it's much more difficult--only two extra clicks are needed to load a single level.

In any case, I'll look into a way of saving the levels that have been loaded.

I guess I was exaggerating a little. It's not incredibly difficult but the not saving what you loaded is an annoyance. Much appreciated if you fix that.
Also thank you for fixing whatever bug was in the old version which seemed like the game was too slow.
The biggest thing I probably enjoy is being able to make the screen bigger.  :thumbsup: No more squinting! [Maybe "Lem-mini" is no longer an appropriate name  :P ] except after reading that topic (minim I think?) posted apparently that's not why it was called Lemmini in the first place.  ???
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2014, 08:44:02 PM »
Is it at all possible to fix the problem where if you try to play a level without the right graphics or music it forces you to re-extract the files?
All that has to happen is it gives you the message: "level unplayable" or something like that, there's no reason to have to re-extract the files; this is a major nuisance and inconvenience because if you have custom graphics you must reinstall them (else just replace your ini files inside the graphics folders). Anyway, this is a big reason some people don't use Lemmini.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2014, 12:57:56 AM »
Is it at all possible to fix the problem where if you try to play a level without the right graphics or music it forces you to re-extract the files?
All that has to happen is it gives you the message: "level unplayable" or something like that, there's no reason to have to re-extract the files; this is a major nuisance and inconvenience because if you have custom graphics you must reinstall them (else just replace your ini files inside the graphics folders). Anyway, this is a big reason some people don't use Lemmini.
I'll see what I can do about that in the next version. What will most likely happen is whenever a necessary file is missing, the game will look it up in an internal file listing. If (and only if) it's there, it will throw an error requiring resource extraction.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2014, 01:26:55 AM »

Isn't that what the mods feature is there for?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »
I've found a glitch with the miner.  It seems if the terrain has gaps that are a single pixel wide, the miner can sometimes fall through them but not actually make a hole (i.e. the miner escapes, but the other lemmings remain trapped).

See the attached image for a visual explanation - the lemming down below is the miner just after he falls through that tiny pixel-wide gap just to the left of the bottom step of the tunnel.  As you can see, it's still actully solid and the other lemmings above can only walk back.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
Thanks for reporting that bug. The cause is a combination of the higher resolution and the quirky miner mechanics of the original game that SuperLemmini mimics. I think I have a good solution, though: If the miner is facing right, check the first column of pixels to the right of the lemming's position rather than the pixels directly underneath when determining whether the miner should become a faller. I checked this solution with your level and it appears to work as intended.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2014, 06:13:48 PM »
I have a question; in the level format.txt it says how the file format works; I seem to remember you saying this could be edited manually? For example; I'd like to edit the entrance order of a level. It's a little confusing and after trying a twice I messed it up somehow. If you could help me a little..

What I did was; edit the line right after # of diggers (no spaces right?) like this;

= 2numDiggers = 0xPosCenter = 1600y...
to;
= 2numDiggers = 0entranceOrder = 0, 1, 2xPosCenter = 1600y...

how exactly should I write this line? I'd like the entrance order to go 1,2,3,1,2,3 etc...

[the result of my above tampering btw, made  the one entrance not work and the start position different]

--------
I can say whether this is a bug or not but in case it is you might be interested:

if a lemming on count-down reaches the exit and starts the exit animation, if his countdown gets to 0 he'll stop "exiting" and blow up, and not be counted as saved. I'm not sure but I think at least in DOS this didn't happen, maybe it was only Lemmix but the lemming would exit and be saved. I don't know how Amiga worked.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »
First of all, if the level file (or any text file, for that matter) really looks like that, with each line having lots of parameters without proper spacing, then you need to open it with something other than Notepad (Notepad++ will do). Notepad, unlike most other text editors, is a picky little bastard that only recognizes Windows-style line breaks (0x0D 0x0A or \r\n); levels saved in Lemmix or NeoLemmix use UNIX-style line breaks (0x0A or \n). Editing a file that uses the latter in Notepad can have undesired results (in this case, SuperLemmini crashing or some parameters not working properly).

You are correct in using 0, 1, 2 to get an entrance order of 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3. The line-break issue described above is probably the reason why it's not working properly.

if a lemming on count-down reaches the exit and starts the exit animation, if his countdown gets to 0 he'll stop "exiting" and blow up, and not be counted as saved. I'm not sure but I think at least in DOS this didn't happen, maybe it was only Lemmix but the lemming would exit and be saved. I don't know how Amiga worked.
Yes, this is how it works in the Amiga version, and SuperLemmini is intentionally mimicking this behavior.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »
ok, thanks for the link and everything  :thumbsup:

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.98
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2014, 02:59:31 AM »
Version 0.98 is out. I didn't implement a way of saving external levels (that will need some work), but I did implement some of the other features and fixes that have been requested.
  • Added support for terrain IDs above 63 in LVL files. (Object IDs above 15 have always been supported.)
  • Added steel to the bubble and Xmas sets. Also added the snow set's hazard objects to the Xmas set. These additions follow those in recent versions of Lemmix.
  • Levels can now include hints using the hint_n parameters, where n is a number starting from 0. See the level documentation for more information.
  • Resource exceptions regarding a custom files (i.e., those not included with SuperLemmini) no longer force resource extractions.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause a builder to get stuck in a wall under certain conditions.
  • When checking whether a right-facing miner should become a faller, SuperLemmini now checks the first column of pixels to the right of the lemming's position rather than the pixels directly underneath. This should prevent cases where a miner stops and falls through a thin yet solid floor even though other lemmings can walk over it in both directions.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.98
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »
I didn't notice this until now; but you've fixed the terrain glitches on pillar 16 and bubble 33  :thumbsup:

Not sure if this matters anymore; [it certainly matters with Lemmix and on Old Lemmini] you have 64 terrain pieces labeled in the ini file for bubble but it should be 68 with the new steel there.

And of course; nice on the other bug fixes

-Hakuin Ekaku