Author Topic: SuperLemmini 0.104a  (Read 171502 times)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.96a
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2014, 05:54:30 AM »
I figured out what the problem was: TextDialog was trying to create an image from a zero-length string (the blank level name), resulting in an illegal image width of 0. I have released version 0.96a, which fixes this problem. (LVL levels were not affected because they are padded with spaces, and SuperLemmini does not remove leading and trailing space before displaying them on the briefing screen.)

In case you want to see the 0.96a section of the change log:
  • TextDialog no longer attempts to create images from zero-length strings.

lemming_1

« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2014, 11:27:03 PM »
Hi. I just discovered SuperLemmini and it's like a dream come true for me. Thanks for making it  :thumbsup:

But I have a problem: I can't install it in Ubuntu 14.04. This is the error message I'm getting:

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2014, 01:11:19 AM »
It works in Windows (I verified just now), so it must be related to Ubuntu or Linux in general. Does the levels/1_orig folder actually have a file called lvl0000.ini? If not, are all files and folders in your Windows Lemmings folder in all caps?

I'll have to try the extraction myself on an Ubuntu machine (which I have but rarely use), although I will say that it has worked for me before. I will also say that SuperLemmini does (or did) experience glitches under Ubuntu (and most likely all Linux OSes), such as key-repeat commands not behaving as they do in Windows (see here), and sound going dead and/or freezing the program.

lemming_1

« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2014, 01:57:52 AM »
It works in Windows (I verified just now)

Yup. I have no problem with it on Windows.

Does the levels/1_orig folder actually have a file called lvl0000.ini?

No, it's missing from there.

If not, are all files and folders in your Windows Lemmings folder in all caps?

Yes and my copy of WinLemmings works perfectly with Lemmini 0.86.

I'll have to try the extraction myself on an Ubuntu machine (which I have but rarely use), although I will say that it has worked for me before. I will also say that SuperLemmini does (or did) experience glitches under Ubuntu (and most likely all Linux OSes), such as key-repeat commands not behaving as they do in Windows (see here), and sound going dead and/or freezing the program.

I played through the entire game (Lemmini 0.86) and never encountered any glitches or freezes after switching the SFX Mixer to default.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2014, 02:46:01 AM »
It's possible that case-sensitive file names under Linux may be the cause, but that wouldn't explain how the extraction process got as far as it looks like it did. Again, I need to check this with an Ubuntu machine to determine the cause.

As for why the sound would work fine in Lemmini but not SuperLemmini, it's because I made some major changes to the sound code to prevent the game from sometimes freezing for short moments whenever a sound played. I have, however, tweaked the sound code somewhat since the last time that I tested SuperLemmini under Ubuntu; perhaps those changes fixed any sound problems that might have been encountered under Ubuntu.

For now, if you want to play SuperLemmini under Ubuntu (or any Linux OS) and you have access to a Windows machine (which you suggested that you do), follow these steps:
  • Install SuperLemmini under Windows.
  • Copy your SuperLemmini installation to somewhere accessible by your Linux machine.
  • On your Windows machine, go to your "home" folder (typically C:\Documents and Settings\[username] under Windows XP and C:\Users\[username] under Windows 7) and look for a file called superlemmini.ini (assuming file extensions are visible). Copy it to your "home" folder on your Linux machine.
  • On your Linux machine, open the aforementioned file and look for the line that begins with "resourcePath". Change the path after the equals sign to the full path where you copied SuperLemmini. Also, delete the line that begins with "mixerName", as well as the one that begins with "sourcePath". Save the file.
  • Back up that file! Certain situations involving missing files can force a resource extraction, in which case you will need to restore that backup.
  • Run SuperLemmini on your Linux machine and make sure the title screen appears.

lemming_1

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2014, 03:24:08 AM »
Many thanks for your help, Tsyu! It works now  :D

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.96b
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2014, 01:57:28 AM »
This is just a quick update to support some of the new features in NeoLemmix levels (and no, I haven't tested in Ubuntu yet):
  • Levels using a special style can now specify where to place the special graphic using the specialStylePostionX and specialStylePostionY parameters.
  • Added support for most of the new features in NeoLemmix LVL format 3. Right now, entrance order is not imported, and special-graphic positions may not be converted correctly if SuperLemmini's version of the special graphic is not exactly 1920x320. I intend to remedy these later.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.95a
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2014, 11:57:17 PM »
  • Height and starting Y position are now read from LVL files.

Dumb question:
Does this mean I can edit the starting Y position in the lvl file thus changing it in level? Can I alter ini files as well?

The reason I ask is because I've been wanting to use super lemmini but levels I made using the Gronkling's left facing entrance trick don't work because the lemming starts (I'm guessing lower) and becomes stuck in the terrain under the exit instead of walking on top of it.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2014, 12:13:20 AM »
He means the vertical screen start position.

As for left-facing, SuperLemmini supports it directly. Remove the piece of terrain, then set the "left facing" flag on the entrance (in NeoLemmix editor, or read the comments in the INI file).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2014, 12:16:26 AM »
sweetness. thanks.

ok I guess I need to break down and make the time to install NeoLemmix editor. I used to be able to figure all this stuff out on my own but now I can never find the time.  :(
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2014, 12:28:19 AM »
1. Download and extract it.
2. Copy contents of your SuperLemmini styles folder to the editors superlemministyles folder.
3. In the editor, click Tools > Compile Styles.
4. Click SuperLemmini, then "Compile All Styles"
5. Its now ready to go.

The process for standard Lemmini is similar. As for CustLemm and NeoCustLemmix, its ready to go out-of-the-box; you don't need to do anything to set it up for them.

Any options that are grayed out are irrelevant to superLemmini, these options generally relate to NeoLemmix. (The opposite is also true; some are grayed out while editing NeoLemmix levels because they only apply to SuperLemmini.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »
I might have asked this before but I'm very busy and not able to follow the thread. The only major things I don't like about SuperLemmini are the RR and the trigger areas.

The RR thing; I enjoyed being able to press the RR button and see it change immediately; instead, the old way you have to time it so you press the button ahead of time; extra needless work.

And is it possible to have the exits work like they did in Lemmini? Namely; as long as they are flat on the ground they work and you don't have to make annoying minute adjustments to have them work correctly?

or do I simply have an older version? and these options have been implemented or altered recently? I'd like to start using it but the exit thing especially makes creating levels rather annoying.
On the other hand; I'm loving the new features like left facing entrance.  :thumbsup:

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2014, 10:54:23 PM »
The RR thing; I enjoyed being able to press the RR button and see it change immediately; instead, the old way you have to time it so you press the button ahead of time; extra needless work.
SuperLemmini is designed to work more like the original game. So yes, the release-rate change isn't supposed to take effect until the next lemming is released.

And is it possible to have the exits work like they did in Lemmini? Namely; as long as they are flat on the ground they work and you don't have to make annoying minute adjustments to have them work correctly?
SuperLemmini changed the detection pixel from the middle of the lemming to the first pixel below its feet (which is how the original games worked). Thus, if you're using custom styles that weren't designed with SuperLemmini in mind, you may need to adjust the trigger areas. If necessary, you can use maskOffsetX_n and maskOffsetY_n (where n is the object ID) in [style name].ini to move the trigger area (which does not need to be entirely within the object bitmap).

The default styles included with SuperLemmini use the trigger areas from the original games. If you're using the bubble or rock style, you need to position the exit so that it's at least one pixel into the ground; there are no plans to change this. You shouldn't need to do this with the other included styles, though.

SuperLemmini does not mimic the quirk where trigger areas are locked to a 4x4 or 8x8 grid, and it most likely never will.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2014, 04:17:17 AM »
The rock exit works that way, but the bubble exit's trigger area is 8 pixels tall (16px in SuperLemmini resolution) so shouldn't need to be placed in the ground.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2014, 06:53:37 AM »
...but the bubble exit's trigger area is 8 pixels tall (16px in SuperLemmini resolution) so shouldn't need to be placed in the ground.
Actually, it's only half of that, but the trigger area's height alone is not relevant in this case. Both the rock and bubble exits have trigger areas that don't reach below the graphic, so those exits do need to be placed at least one pixel into the ground.

Why is this so? Because a lemming's collision pixel, unintuitively, is the first pixel below its foot, not the one inside it--see the walker section in this post for more information. Thus, an exit's trigger area must actually go into the ground for it to work as expected. This applies to Amiga-like official versions (Amiga, DOS, Genesis, etc.) as well as SuperLemmini and Lemmix.