Author Topic: Uhhh....where IS everyeone?  (Read 21395 times)

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
Re: Uhhh....where IS everyeone?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 01:38:05 AM »
whoa... you're right...steaver and Ice Eagle are missing...
... ... ... ... ... ... ......... I miss the lack of corrections. I have better grammar than all of my friends most of the time and Ice eagle corrects me alot.(I don't type grammatically corect on Lem universe most of the time.) wierd... maybe they're back in the original LUBD which I hear is up again. is it?
:???:

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 03:21:01 AM »
LUDB is back, but you won't see many posts there...
And a guest named Steaver370 made a post here a couple days ago so... yeah...

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 12:50:39 AM »
What was up with that poll he made anyhow?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 12:54:36 AM »
The answer is always 42. I forget why, or what it's from...

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 12:59:35 AM »
...Huh?  It can't be forty two.  That sounds just like that stupid .9 repeating = 1 stuff...well, in practical manner, .9 repeating is 1, but in pure math form, they aren't equal...anyhow, I just did the math myself and it equals 54.  If you can find a counter example or something show me and I will see what I can get out of it.  Maybe I'm wrong or something...

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 01:08:54 AM »
It's a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference. In the book, the earth was created just to solve a certain question. The question was forgotten, but the answer was eventually discovered: 42.

And then the Earth is blown up to make an intergalactic super-highway. Or something. Never read it.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 01:12:15 AM »
...strange.............heh, that would be funny if it were true...kind of ... Xp.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 10:47:38 AM »
They blew up Earth to make a hyperspace bypass not a highway.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 12:12:24 PM »
Actually, .9 recurring IS 1. "Recurring" just means a limit: the limit as n goes to infinity of 0.9 followed by n nines. Which, mathematically, is exactly 1.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
0.9 recurring is NOT 1, just very close.
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 03:35:56 PM »
0.9 recurring is NOT 1. 0.9 recurring is the closest you can get to 1. IF 0.9 recurring is 1, everything I know and ws taught about maths is wrong.

Example:
0.9 = 9/10
0.99 = 99/100
0.999 = 999/1000

Where as:
1 = 10/10
1 = 100/100
1 = 1000/1000

You could do this forever, but the pattern is clear

0.9 recurring = infinite9's/(infinite9's+1)
1 = infinite9's/infinite9's

0.9 recurring is very close to 1 but it isn't 1. 0.9 recurring is in fact, so close to one that many people consider it as a 1, as something so small usually doesn't count.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 07:17:32 PM »
But "infinite 9s plus one" is meaningless; if you add one to an infinite number the answer is the same infinite number. Your sum then becomes:

0.9 recurring = infinite 9s / infinite 9s + 1 = infinity / infinity = 1

You just don't understand the concept of a limit. Shall I put it differently?

1 - 0.9 = 0.1
1 - 0.99 = 0.01
1 - 0.999 = 0.001
1 - 0.9999 = 0.0001

In the limit, as the number of 9s goes to infinity, the difference between 1 and 0.999999 tends to zero. In every term of the sequence, the difference is increasingly small but still slightly more than zero; but the limit itself is zero.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 07:30:42 PM »
Oops X_X

I s'pose you're right about that zeroing out part and the concept of a limit. The limit is zero, so when the 9's go infinite, it reaches that limit it ends up as a 1, or something like that. Okay, I understand now.

*Gets back into box*

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2005, 07:32:35 PM »
That's ok  :D  it is hard to understand when you're not used to it.........

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2005, 09:06:22 PM »
Don't debate that .9 repeating = 1. It is. There are even at least 3 different ways to show/prove it...

Here are 2 other ways.

&#A0;1/9 = .1 repeating
+8/9 = .8 repeating
-------------------------
&#A0;9/9 = .9 repeating
&#A0; &#A0; 1 = .9 repeating

x = .9 repeating
10 x = 9.9 repeating

10x - x = 9.9 repeating - .9 repeating
9x = 9
x = 1 = .9 repeating

And if you still don't buy it, take a calculus class.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2005, 09:41:18 PM »
Sheesh...I already had this argument...in school...ag it was annoying.

I will take that class eventually.  So far I'm in geometry.

I think that both sides are correct in different manners.  Even with infinite nines, when you think about it in pure logic, you never get to one.  At the same time, .9 repeating is infinitely closer to one, so it becomes one.

My geometry teacher says that .9r <> 1.  I'll just have to see a calc teacher...of course,  Shvegait, having taken the class, can tell me.

In reality though, if you look around, is there anywhere that has a .9r in it anyway?  I mean physically speaking.  If you were to apply .9r to a thing, could it really exist since the nines would continue forever?  Maybe...

I had a thought once, and it led me to the conclusion that, no math is really being done when something happens.  For example, when you throw a ball.  Math is not done to determine where it goes.  It just is.  So math seems to be more a translation of the laws of the universe into something we can manipulate and understand.  In the reverse fashion, we can use math to predict how these laws apply also.  Another thing I figured is that there is no such thing as a line.  This is because a line is points.  Points have no spacial value.  The only reason we can see a line on a graph is because we give it width and height.  Also, I don't think a physical straight line exists.  The smallest existing unit of matter is round, as far as we know, and because of that is everything else not round also?

Math is wierd...

Note that everything above is simply past thoughts.  I'm not trying to claim that what I've said is correct, although I do hope it is...

Go ahead and criticize stuff now... X|