Author Topic: Lemmings 2 The Tribes: Original  (Read 4997 times)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
Lemmings 2 The Tribes: Original
« on: January 22, 2013, 01:39:47 AM »
I was wondering what if you were to play the original Lemmings by trying to save as many Lemmings as possible like in L2, how many will there be left in the end? You will start off in "Just Dig!" with 100 Lemmings, all the way to "Rendezvous at the Mountain". The funny thing is "Mind the step" is not gonna be a level with one Lemming in this challenge. Release rate and skills will be left unchanged.  The PSP version won't be joining this. You can't edit real levels there.

Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings 2 The Tribes: Original
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:57:25 AM »
For most levels the amount of lemmings you lose doesn't really depend on the number of lemmings you initially have in the level, so I'd assume you can just use this list as a reference on how many lemmings you'll lose in each level: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=526.0

There's are a few levels worth thinking about, but I think they all work out with the maximal percentags nevertheless:
It's Hero Time works out nicely with 80 lemmings, The Great Lemming Caper works nicely too, With a Twist of Lemming please can be done with 28 skills (http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=98.0), so you don't need all the floaters, Mind the Step definitely works using the ceiling route, perhaps also using the bottom route.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:53:34 AM »
That's 45 Lemmings. That's was a fast challenge. :P
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:16:33 AM »
Interesting.  I needed to test it out to satisfy myself, but indeed the 1-minute time limit isn't a problem with "It's a Hero Time" and even levels like "Just a Minute Part II" even with 100 lemmings.  (Granted, by then you would actually have far less than that many lemmings left anyway...)

However, the idea is already "spoiled" on Fun 2, since you do need a floater per lemming saved and you only get 10.  Fun 4 has a similar situation with climbers.  But other than those two levels, geoo may be right about lemmings lost being independent of initial number of lemmings on all the remaining levels.  One other level I'm not 100% sure on is the Fun version of We All Fall Down.  On PC Lemmings you can't get away with using a constant number of diggers to save everyone, though you can work with using only some fixed fraction of the total number of lemmings for number of diggers.  I don't remember what that fraction is.  If it is higher than 20/98 = about 0.204 then you'd run out of diggers to save everyone.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:12:23 PM »
I haven't thought about Fun 2 and it's 10 floaters. :o It looks like we got no choice but to change the skills to the number of Lemmings remaining for levels like that, because that's a lot of Lemmings lost already. Since 99 is the highest you can have on a skill, one Lemming dies on Fun 2.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »
Oh yeah, I didn't think about the early fun levels, the only level whose floater limitation I considered is With a Twist of Lemming please.

We all fall down works out, I just checked, with each digger, you can save 9 lemmings (space apart the first two with an RR of 80, set the RR to 99 to release a cluster of 8, set it to 1 to make things not too hectic, repeat procedure). The first one digs and the bundle of 8 plus the digger is saved. So you could save 180 lemmings on the Fun version of We all fall down.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 12:50:12 AM »
180? Don't you mean 100? I want to see a replay of that digging trick though. Is 100% possible in the other "We all fall down" without increasing the digger skill?
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 03:50:56 AM »
I meant 180 (if you can have that many in a level). You can save 9 lems per digger, which means 180 with 20 diggers.

I attached a replay which saves 90 lemmings with 10 diggers (increase the number of lemmings in the level to 90 to view the replay).

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
So that means you can save everyone in the Tricky, Taxing and Mayhem version of "We all fall down". 44 Lemmings survives in this challenge.

Edit: Isn't Mayhem 29 suppose to be 76/80? The only reason 78 is possible is because the levels in Lemmix lacks the water upon opening the level, which makes it 42 survivors.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.