Author Topic: Archimedes Lemmings and ONML soundtracks in MP3 format (EDIT: And more, too!)  (Read 7967 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
So, I was looking for the soundtracks from the Acorn Archimedes versions (and possibly the Acorn RISC PC versions, too, but I've never seen those so I can't be 100% sure on this) of Lemmings and Oh-No! More Lemmings in MP3 format, but couldn't find them. I did, however, find this old thread here, which contains ccexplore's work in splitting the original multi-tune modules up into single files, so I fed these through the DiskWriter plugin in WinAmp, running via WINE, and then created MP3s myself. I then decided to upload them here, in case anyone else wants them, since it should save other people the work. :P

Since I couldn't attach the soundtracks to this post (it seems that they're too large, as attempting to post this thread with them attached eventually times out and drops me back to an empty "Start new topic" page), I had to go to Mediafire and upload them there - the links are below. Please note, however, that the tunes aren't tagged - I had no need to do this, so I didn't. :P

Archimedes Lemmings Soundtrack

Archimedes Oh-No! More Lemmings Soundtrack

While I'm here, does anyone know if single-file .mods for the Archimedes Lemmings 2 soundtrack are kicking about anywhere, please? Its soundtrack is like a hybrid of the Amiga and Mega Drive versions of the game (the latter being not at all surprising, since Krisalis Software handled both the Archimedes and Mega Drive ports of the game), and I'd like to convert that soundtrack, too. Please let me know!

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: Archimedes Lemmings and ONML soundtracks in MP3 format
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:38:49 AM »
While I'm here, does anyone know if single-file .mods for the Archimedes Lemmings 2 soundtrack are kicking about anywhere, please? Its soundtrack is like a hybrid of the Amiga and Mega Drive versions of the game (the latter being not at all surprising, since Krisalis Software handled both the Archimedes and Mega Drive ports of the game), and I'd like to convert that soundtrack, too. Please let me know!
I don't think they exist, but I can make them. It shouldn't take long.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:14:05 AM »
That would be fantastic - thanks very much! :D

I'll post the MP3s once I've converted them, naturally.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:22:55 AM »
Here they are. The music for the Classic tribe appears to be the same as the music from the first game, so I didn't include it.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »
Much appreciated, Tsyu. :D

Not having experienced the Arc version of Lemmings 2 much, what tune is used for the Classic Tribe, out of interest? I'd like to include it for completeness' sake. :)

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
On the Archimedes version each 'Classic' level has a different music. There are 13 mods included, but only the first 10 are used in the game (there are only 10 levels).
All 13 mods are in the attached archive.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »
Ooh, brilliant. Thanks very much. :D

Given this info, I'm looking forward to the Archimedes Software Preservation Society's ex-commercial releases even more, now. Is this the only version of Lemmings 2 that does this?

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:58:06 PM »
Just checked all 8 available versions, it's the only one with not just one 'classic tribe' song.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:01:53 PM »
Just making a quick post to mention that I haven't forgotten about MP3'ing the Archimedes Lemmings 2 tunes - I just haven't had the time just yet.

In the meantime, for anybody who wants it, here's the SoundBlaster (YM3812) soundtrack from Lemmings 3D, in MP3 format, converted from this VGM-format rip;

Lemmings 3D SoundBlaster Soundtrack (Part One)
Lemmings 3D SoundBlaster Soundtrack (Part Two)

I did tag these, and kept the track order and much of the naming from the VGM set that they were converted from. I did change all instances of "Computer Zone" and "Sweet Land" to "Computer" and "Sweet", respectively, so as to match the game's own naming scheme, though - it would've driven me nuts, otherwise. :P

I don't believe that the four "Rating Jingle" tracks, or the success/failure ones, are even used in the game, incidentally - if they are, I've definitely never heard them. They are included, nonetheless, though.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Whoah, I just discovered something interesting. You guys know how there's an extra tune in the Archimedes version of Lemmings, that isn't in any other version? I just found out where it came from: Mad Professor Mariarti, by Krisalis Software - the company that ported the Lemmings games to the Archimedes. :D

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:50:58 AM »
I you want, I have 23 mp3 files made from tunes of PXS Lemmings 3D.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 03:22:33 AM »
Thanks very much for the offer, but I've already got both the MS-DOS and PSX tracks ripped from my own CD-ROMs, now. :) (I got the PlayStation version fairly recently, and it was great to finally hear the entirety of that tune that's cut off on the MS-DOS version's CD.)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
My apologies for the double-post, but I've now MP3'ed the Archimedes Lemmings 2 soundtrack, too;

Archimedes Lemmings 2 Soundtrack

And, as a bonus, here's the SoundBlaster version of the MS-DOS version of the original Lemmings soundtrack, as well, converted from this VGM set;

Lemmings MS-DOS SoundBlaster (YM3812) Soundtrack

Listening to the MS-DOS tunes was interesting for me, as I had the version of Lemmings from the Award Winners Platinum CD-ROM package by Empire Interactive, which lacked the special-graphics levels, and thus I've never heard their music before now.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 04:32:38 AM »
Listening to the MS-DOS tunes was interesting for me, as I had the version of Lemmings from the Award Winners Platinum CD-ROM package by Empire Interactive, which lacked the special-graphics levels, and thus I've never heard their music before now.
Interesting. Do you recall what levels were in their place?

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
My recollection is that they simply weren't present, and weren't replaced with anything else, either.

This didn't strike me as unusual at the time, as back then I had thought that only the Amiga and Archimedes versions had the special-graphics levels, as they were the only versions I'd encountered that had them. :P

I don't know if the disc is still hanging around here somewhere. If it's not, I might have to try to find it on eBay or something...

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
thank you very much for this! this music is awesome  :o :thumbsup:

anxious to use them while playing games  :D
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain