Author Topic: Glitches in Lemmini  (Read 11607 times)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Re: Glitches in Lemmini
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 08:17:05 PM »
Here are some which haven't been mentioned in the topic already.

- Blockers can be assigned climbers and floaters, unlike in DOS/Lemmix. :D
- Release rate and skills can be selected with the mouse while the game is paused, unlike in DOS/Lemmix.
- You can assign the floater skill to a lemming at the bottom of a long fall, and it will survive. This saves time, as floaters descend slower than fallers. Obviously, same as in DOS/Lemmix.
- When building to the ceiling of the map, lemming will TURN AROUND instead of walking in the same direction, like in DOS/Lemmix.
- Builders are ALWAYS capable to start to bash/mine (successfully, without making a gap or so) when building to a vertical wall, instead of often turning around, like in DOS/Lemmix.
- You can assign worker lemming a skill while holding the right mouse button, since "force walker" button is up arrow key.
- 'Stepover' turnaround trick DOESN'T work in Lemmini, unlike in DOS/Lemmix. (trick topic, builders)
- The blocker field acts much differently than in DOS/Lemmix.
1) Blockers CAN'T turn around fallers, bashers and diggers.
2) A blocker will stop basher even during basher's even amount (=2nd, 4th, 6th...) of strokes cycle, unlike in DOS/Lemmix (without interruption basher stops only after its 1st, 3rd, 5th stroke etc.) [a messy explanation?]
3) When lemming falls above exactly to the position of blocker, it WON'T pass through the blocker, if it falls facing to the right. If lemming falls facing to the left, it WILL pass through the blocker. Oddly enough, lemmings walking from the right turns around nearer the center of the blocker than lemmings walking from the left.
4) Lemmings WON'T pass through a blocker in either direction on top of a climb or in a very steep slope.

I know still some, but they might be too good for making custom levels, so I'm not too fond of revealing them yet. :P

-to start bashing you need to be closer to the terrain than in Lemmix. (this could be a by-prodcut of the above. Or it's that the initial basher swing is shorter/quicker. It's difficult to tell.)*
In my opinion they can start bashing equally far away from the wall? If not Lemmini basher even further away! Try bashing vertical walls, because different basher trigger areas (in Lemmini a pixel higher than in Lemmix like you've written) could probably confuse.

EDIT: Few more I just realized:
- A Builder building to the left (I know I've seen it *mobius) positions his bricks slightly 'behind' the Builder when compared to building in the other direction.  This makes "stretching" ladders very difficult in this direction, and not as efficient as when building in the opposite direction.
(Crane)
..by extension if a left climber is made builder as soon as he reaches the top he will create an overhang.
That's the case in DOS/Lemmix. In Lemmini, builder is much more symmetrical (if not perfectly?). Bridge streching is as hard to both directions in Lemmini as stretching to the left in DOS/Lemmix is in my opinion. Also due to this, builder creates above described overhang to BOTH directions, when in DOS/Lemmix it can be done only building to the left.

-Sometimes a basher can stop bashing before he’s actually done. That is; the basher will stop near the edge of the terrain but leave a thin sliver of terrain still there. Just enough to block the lemmings.
A quite essential detail in this behaviour is that it happens only when bashing TO THE RIGHT. It won't occur when bashing to the left.

• Turning a builder with a blocker between placing a brick and stepping onto it causes a fake brick to appear for a moment, and leaves a tiny hole in the bridge that lemmings cannot  get across.
This is from the main glitch topic. In Lemmini, there appears that fake brick which disappears, but there won't appear a hole. However, if executed right, the blocker will turn other lemmings around so that they will descend the bridge instead of ascending it.

Also, some tricks which work in DOS, but not in Lemmix or Lemmini at all:
- Nuke glitch
- Pausing for time
- Right-click bug

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 05:09:54 PM »
One that I observed in roundthewheel's most recent video:

If a bomber splats in the last second of his countdown, he will still explode.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »
Haha yeah, somehow that hadn't been mentioned here yet, well noticed! :P In addition to that level you saw, that exact trick is used at least in two other Lemmini levels. It's similar behaviour than when a bomber explodes after touching a fire trap, a marble tileset shredder trap or a snow tileset air blower trap.

Three more little differences in Lemmini:
- Lemmings make sound when dropping out of the play area, unlike in DOS/Lemmix.
- You can assign a skill to a lemming while the game is paused (which unpauses the game), unlike in DOS/Lemmix.
- The effect of changing release rate emerges immediately, NOT after the next lemming entering the level, like in DOS/Lemmix.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 11:22:59 PM »
I might remember wrong, but I think actually even in Lemmings itself, while splat does indeed stop bomber from exploding, a few other kinds of death do not.  Of course, if the explosion is not due until after the lemming is removed for good from the level (ie. all animations completed and the counter changes) then sure, no lemming no explosion.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 08:16:16 AM »
Hmm, drowners still explode in L1, but rarely have an effect on terrain.

Even the exploding splatter in Lemmini won't enable backroutes unless he splats exactly 5 seconds after spawning. :-) -- Edit: No, he might enable backroutes, if the explosion could not happen as low as that otherwise...

-- Simon

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 04:06:06 AM »
Hmm, drowners still explode in L1, but rarely have an effect on terrain.

yeah, except for scenarios like Clam's level "get out of the pool"  :D
I like this mechanic personally.

I updated the thread with these and other things.
one of my own:
-builders can 'walk up' on top of platforms they build to; even when turning around
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
I came across one minor glitch, but it's debatable whether it is one or not.

- Fallers don't trigger "custom" traps (e.g. the iguana/chamaeleon in the rock tileset).  I discovered this one when porting "Faithful Friends" over to Lemmini (although thankfully the fall in question happened to be splat distance anyway).

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 05:58:20 PM »
- Fallers don't trigger "custom" traps (e.g. the iguana/chamaeleon in the rock tileset).  I discovered this one when porting "Faithful Friends" over to Lemmini (although thankfully the fall in question happened to be splat distance anyway).
that's interesting, I'll have to check that out.

a new one I discovered which I did not hear mentioned anywhere:
bashers can cross thin gaps. see the replay. (level is timing and space by Pieuw)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 07:30:51 PM »
that's interesting, I'll have to check that out.
I have to say that I think I've myself seen how a faller lemming gets crushed in mid air by that Brick tileset trap. :o Needs more research?
a new one I discovered which I did not hear mentioned anywhere:
bashers can cross thin gaps. see the replay. (level is timing and space by Pieuw)
Ooh yeah, I discovered this one in November 2012 and made a replay of it. :D It's one of these tricks I indicated here:
Here are some which haven't been mentioned in the topic already.
I know still some, but they might be too good for making custom levels, so I'm not too fond of revealing them yet. :P
I told about this trick to one guy who made a custom level that uses that trick... >;D He gave me the credit for discovering it. But nice work for also finding that one! I don't know the details too well why/when that behaviour occurs.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 04:50:57 AM »
Some Lemmini glitches that border on game-breaking bugs:

- Replays don't always remember the turning down of the release rate, causing playbacks to go out of sync.  Usually happens on repeated replays when Fast Forward is employed.
- Bashing when a lemming's head is above the top of the screen causes the game to crash. (The original Mayhem level, "Going Up . . . . .", carries this risk the most)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 03:02:20 AM »
discovered a new one recently; [at least I don't remember this one being discussed]

-miners can pass through VERTICAL pixel thin walls

there are still some posts here I need to address..

Some Lemmini glitches that border on game-breaking bugs:

- Replays don't always remember the turning down of the release rate, causing playbacks to go out of sync.  Usually happens on repeated replays when Fast Forward is employed.
- Bashing when a lemming's head is above the top of the screen causes the game to crash. (The original Mayhem level, "Going Up . . . . .", carries this risk the most)

I'm not sure if I've encountered either of these. However I seem to remember bashing at the top being weird...

-Hakuin Ekaku