Author Topic: Level renaming help...?  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Level renaming help...?
« on: August 06, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »
I'm currently remaking the original 2-player levels in Lix, using the new graphics and adding the new skills. I'm working from the Genesis version because that's the only version I have that includes the 2-player levels. Just as with the 1-player levels, the Genesis version abbreviates several of the larger levels, and two (9 and 12) are completely replaced. Unfortunately, the replacement levels have naff titles -- Level 9 is called "Now use miners and climbers", and Level 12 is called "A task for blockers and bomber" [sic]. In addition, Level 17 "Graffiti" is abbreviated, eliminating the graffiti, and has also been renamed "A task for blockers and bomber". So I need to find new titles for these three levels.

I've thought of a new name for Level 17, "Divide and Conquer", but I would welcome other suggestions, as well as any suggestions for the other two. I've attached the map of Level 9 below -- I'll add Level 12 to this post as soon as it's ready.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Level renaming help...?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:42:41 AM »
I'm probably the last person you want to come up with titles, but looking at level 9, my first impression is how visually it has prominent use of diagonal lines, in basically a diamond/cross-hatch arrangement.  So from that alone, I'm thinking that the title should probably make use of such words as "diagonal", "diamond" or "cross".

With that in mind, some probably lame titles include "Battle of Diagon Valley" and "Pink Diamonds". :-\ Can't come up with anything for "cross".

Incidentally, what's with those triangular pieces at the underwater bottom of some of the pillars?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 02:51:33 AM »
^ that level is a devil  :D

diamond ascension, Diamond Obstruction , Criss Cross Impediment

(I told you I'm bad at naming)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:39:36 AM »
Incidentally, what's with those triangular pieces at the underwater bottom of some of the pillars?

I'm not really sure what you're asking about them, but they correspond to mounds of the rough terrain (pieces 55 and 56 in Lemmix's numbering) on the original level. The Lix marble style has no equivalent, so I decided to use triangular pieces. (By the way, the original has no water.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »
Yes, those.  Unless something's glitched with the screenshot, those triangular pieces look very out of place next to the pillars.  I think the level might well be better off without them?  If the triangles must be included at the base of those pillars, I'm still thinking that you might have better results by using triangular eraser pieces, to carve triangular shapes out of rectangular pieces whose color match the pillars better?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »
Okay 8)

Hmm... using "diamond" in the title is a good idea. I'll pencil in "Diamond Dash", but still open to other suggestions :)

Still haven't done Level 12... because I came across geoo's page with screenshots of the Amiga 2-player levels, and the original Level 9 (The Pipe Room) looked so interesting that I had to remake it.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:24:32 PM »
Here's Level 12.

(You may also notice that I've amended Level 9, above, in line with ccexplore's suggestion.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
Hmm, level 12 is a tougher one for titles.  At first glance the terrain vaguely reminds me of serpents and dragons, so maybe something like "Dragons' Lair", but at the same time the resemblance doesn't really feel quite strong enough for such titles. :-\

The next thing coming to mind is how the lixes start from the ceiling/roof and have to get their way downwards.  But nothing quite come to mind in terms of titles.

I suppose there's always the possibility of completely random titles?  I'm guessing not all the titles of the original 2-player levels are relevant to the respective level contents.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 06:58:38 AM »
I quite enjoy renaming levels :) My suggestions:

9: Unless we ever make versions for more players (which seems unlikely), then "Diamond Duel" could work.
12: My first thought is that they look like snakes rather than dragons, so I'd go with "Snake Pit".

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »
"Diamond Duel" is good -- I'll use that for the 2P version and keep "Diamond Dash" for the 1P version, it's good that they have similar but distinct titles. Thanks  :thumbsup: