Author Topic: Lemmings 2 & World of Lemmings  (Read 9611 times)

HLem

Lemmings 2 & World of Lemmings
« on: November 21, 2004, 01:38:18 PM »
Hi,

I am just about to get the old Lemmings games back on the computer. Unfortuntely I am facing some problems which I cannot solve by myself:

1. The tribes
Installation under MS-DOS 6.2 worked well. Unfortunately I cannot get any sound, except out of the pc speaker which is just aweful ...

I am running DOS on a partition made by Partition Magic as I could not get the games running under Win Me at all. The computer is equiped with a Soundblaster compatible Philips PSC703 board. But chossing Soundblaster or Soundblaster Pro out of the installation manual does not help. I am pretty sure that the settings are o.k., so any idea what I could do?

2. The installation of All new World of Lemmings just aborts after starting the install program with an error message (RUntime error 200 at 041B:0091). Strating the game directly from the CDROM results in a black screen and secondly the computer hangs...

I already followed all tips given in the manuals of the games (REM command in front of some config.sys entries, etc.).
So I am a little bit lost now.

Any comments are highly appreciated!

Rgds.

HLem

Offline Mike

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings 2 & World of Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 04:36:06 PM »
The Install program on Lemmings 3 was written in Pascal, and theres a bug in Borlan Pascal 7 that means it doesnt run on newer, fast machines.

Dave panic'd towards the end of L3, since no one had time to do the installer, so he asked me. Most of my old "pre 94/95" stuff was done in Pascal, so that was used... sorry!

Look for a program called "TPPATCH", and try applying this to the installer. I dont know where my copy of L3 is or I would try it first.

Try here...
http://www.qmw.ac.uk/~ugah006/gotools/tppatch.html

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 10:11:17 PM »
Wow, I never thought Pascal would be used for real-life software development.  O_O

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 11:28:16 PM »
Yeah, he was desprate! And I didnt know much C at that time. ASM and Pascal.
(Thats now changed  ;))

There was actually a lot of assembler in there as well. I captured the ourput from ARJ and piped it to the little display window, which was unusal at the time.

The sound card stuff was the worst... hated DOS sound cards!

Im sure I still have the source the installer somewhere, along with the ARJ archives.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 08:08:24 PM »
Found it!! :)
Wasn't much to it actually... ahhh...pascal... those were the days! compiled in an instant!

(***************************************************************************)
(*
(*                  Lemmings 3 Installation Program
(*                                By
(*
(*                  Mike Dailly (c) DMA Design 1994
(*
(*
(*
(*
(*   File format (User.dat)
(*
(*   int mouse_speed     ( 50 )
(*   int SVGA            (0 or 1)
(*   int SoundCard       (0=SB,1=GUS,$ffff=none)
(*   int Sound_Aux1      (Port)
(*   int Sound_Aux2      (DMA)
(*   int Sound_Aux3      (IRQ)
(*   int Sound_Option    (bit0=fx, bit1=Music.  On/Off toggle)
(*   int CD etc..        ($ff=CD, uninstalled. A-X=CD drive. 0=HD)
(*
(*   Sound Blaster System Variable
(*   set blaster=A220 I7 D1 T4
(*
(*   GUS system variable
(*   set UltraSND=220,1,1,11,7
(*
(***************************************************************************)

HLem

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 04:27:26 PM »
Great,

will give it a try.

HLem

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 05:38:27 PM »
Hmmm,

tried to patch the install.exe file. A message pos up saying: not possible to patch file.
Its not write protected.
What could it be???

HELP?!?!?!

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 11:50:43 AM »
Sounds like its saying "it IS write protected"... but badly :)

Did you copy the whole program+installer from the CD?

then you have to clear the write protection bits. (attrib -r /s) or right click on the folder in windows..

segagamer

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 09:34:57 AM »
Dave panic'd towards the end of L3, since no one had time to do the installer, so he asked me. Most of my old "pre 94/95" stuff was done in Pascal, so that was used... sorry!

Mike did you used to work at DMA design or did I just simply misunderstand what you were saying?

ellie

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 05:18:29 PM »
i wanted to install world of lemmings on my computer, as i havnt played it in ages, my computer is a windows xp home edition, so i dont know if it will work on my computer, i looked in the booklet and it said turn amiga on. i dont know what that is but i hope some one can tell me. it is on floppydisk. please help !   :???:

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 02:19:29 AM »
if it's an amiga disk then... you can't.

you're better off downloading either:
a dos version of anwol and dosbox
...or...
an ipf from my site and an amiga emulator

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 09:23:46 PM »
Quote from: ellie  link=1101044298/0#9 date=1122052709
i wanted to install world of lemmings on my computer, as i havnt played it in ages, my computer is a windows xp home edition, so i dont know if it will work on my computer, i looked in the booklet and it said turn amiga on. i dont know what that is but i hope some one can tell me. it is on floppydisk. please help ! &#A0; :???:

Did you buy the floppy disk off e-Bay or something?  If so, I strongly suggest you return it for a refund/exchange/etc. if possible, since what you did is basically like getting "Microsoft Word for Macintosh" when your computer's a PC.

lily

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 10:13:21 PM »
I'm trying to get my old copy of lemmings chronicles to work on my computer, but no go.

I tried on my windows 98 laptop, and no go there- invalid filename or some rubbish like that.

On my XP box, I'm getting the "Runtime error 200 at 041B:0091" error when I try to install the game.

Suggestions? I'm pretty computer dumb, I apologise. :'(

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 04:24:09 PM »
The game is very hard to play. Try it using Dosbox, but be sure that you have the original CD to play or specify to the install.exe program that you don't have any sound card because the Sound Blaster cause the game to crash.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...