Author Topic: Help  (Read 4440 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Help
« on: June 13, 2012, 11:56:15 PM »
I should have really posted this in the help section but I decided to post here because more people view these topics.

Hi Everyone I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone could help me with something.  I've found this website which has loads of user created levels and I've been trying to play them but it dosn't seem to work.  When I download the levels you have to unzip and when I unzip them I'm not too sure how to get it to work.  I've tried using Lemini which is quite good but a problem message comes up saying wrong format.   The one I loaded up was Giga.  I've tried lots of other levels as well from the website.

Any help would be great thanks

Here's the website =  http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/list

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 12:16:43 AM »
These levelpacks were made for the original DOS version of Lemmings, or more exactly CustLemm. There you could play levelpacks by putting them into the CustLemm folder and renaming them to levelpak.dat

Nowadays though, the best way to play these levelpacks is using Lemmix: ericenzwaan.nl/eric/lemmings/lemmix.htm

Oh and for the record, I don't think people would have missed this if it was posted in the Help section. I personally use the listing of new posts at the bottom anyway. Regardsless, I don't think it's good practice to post something out of place just in the hope to get more views.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 03:43:31 AM »
Moved to the correct location.  There's not a lot of ground to cover here, so people are likely to see your post no matter where you post it-- so I highly recommend posting it in the right place!

I also second geoo's advice; Lemmix is the best way.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies Mr K and geoo,

I've give that a try with the Custlemm and see if that works.   I will have a look at Lemmix as well.  lemmix is the one they use for creating levels I think but I take it you can play custem levels as well.

A lot of the levels look really fun to play and challenging. 

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
.DAT files use lemmix/custlemm.
.ini files use lemmini.
That site has both sorts of file but the main accepted format is .DAT
 :thumbsup:

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 08:16:44 PM »
I managed to get the Custom levels working on the dosbox for custlems.  Dosbox is quite tricky to use but there's some good totorials on youtube.

I might try and see if I can get the Lemmix one working as well.

Gronkling is that your user made levels I see on youtube.  They look quite good.

I might give your levels  a try.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 11:36:11 PM »
Lemmini plays ini files as well as lvl files.
If you create a level with Lemmix and use Lemmini, go to "load level" then load a lvl file it should work. It always does for me. ???  (but not a dat file)
I also suggest looking at the help topics on Lemmix here.

Be aware that CustLemm, Lemmix and Lemmini all have variations in game play, making some levels not solvable in some programs. If a level seems unsolvable try doing it in another one.
Try my levels! (they're not as hard as some of them on there). Some are ridiculously insane, even for some one who thinks he's well versed in Lemmings! (I'm not trying to discourage tho, try any you want)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 12:37:08 AM »
When I was trying Lemini, I tried some levels I found somewhere.   There was this level where you had to use the digger or diggers on the same spot and because it was lemini I was using the digger and it never allowed me to do it at all but when I tried in the dos No bother so I guess each has it's own advantage.

The dos custlems seem to be my favourite just now with Lemini close behind.

The one really good thing about Lemini is the action replay where if you make a mistake don't worry you can go right back to that particular bit.

I might try your levels as well thick molasses.

I have to admit,  a lot of the levels I've seen on that website are well designed and I'm impressed with the thought that's went into lots of the levels.   

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:47:01 AM »
Physics-wise, Lemmix can be considered equivalent to CustLemm (except for a very few obscure things, like pausing at the start to get some extra time, and the nuke percentage glitch).

If you're playing .dat levelpacks, you can basically be assured that they'll work in CustLemm/Lemmix, while you can't be certain whether the levels will be solvable in Lemmini.
For the record, Lemmix also offers action replay and saving replays, and savestates in addition.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 02:52:45 AM »
For the record, Lemmix also offers action replay and saving replays, and savestates in addition.

savestates? really? how do you do this?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 09:04:20 AM »
Ctrl+F1 to save a state, Shift+F1 to load. It's quite an awkward combination, so I never use it myself, I just replay and time skip instead :)

Lemmix is notoriously difficult to set up, this topic may be useful, although the link to ccexplore's full Lemmix build seems to be dead :(

Also, obligatory 'play my levels' comment ;)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 12:47:32 PM »
although the link to ccexplore's full Lemmix build seems to be dead
??? It worked fine for me when I installed Lemmix yesterday, and still seems to be working.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 11:08:47 PM »
Huh, interesting. I tried it twice (at different times) and it didn't work, the page just sat there trying to load. IIRC with the site used to host the file, the uploader needs to log in every so often to keep the file available, so it might not be around forever. But as long as it is available, then problem solved I guess :)