Author Topic: Lix board?  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
Lix board?
« on: June 12, 2012, 04:56:56 PM »
Hey folks!

Busy few months here. Moved into a new place, lost decent net access for the past few months, and I generally haven't had any time to myself.

Just a quick Q: Would you like to see a dedicated board on here for Lix? It seems to be very popular, and IMO, a sub-forum in Level Designing, or a dedicated board would be a good place to keep all Lix-related stuff together.

Would appreciate some feedback! :)

Adam :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Lix board?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »
I'm more for a general Lix board preferred to a Level design sub-board, since level design is just a small part of what's discussed. Just one huge topic for bug discussion etc. is hard to keep track of right now, and it's bad practise anyway. If you make a board, I'll make a list of topics to move there.

However, a separate board will clash with the remaining site's design. The site is categorized not by game, but by topic, and all boards span across all available games.

Bug tracking is already done on the Lix site -- anonymous posting is possible again now. There's also a general board there, but it lacks common features and action.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »
I guess it makes sense to have a separate subforum, even if it's a division somewhat orthogonal to how the forums are divided right now.
With lix still in development, announcements and things like that wouldn't really fit in any other forums. Would also help to find the less active Lix topics more easily, as currently they get swamped in the rest.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 03:07:53 AM »
While it's complicated, for the reasons mentioned already, I'd prefer Lix to have a board, rather than just a sub-board. If it grows much, then we could add sub-boards for singleplayer, multiplayer, level designing etc. This isn't guaranteed though, so just a board is fine for now.

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 03:32:02 AM »
I've decided to go with the sub-board option for now. If, in the future, Lix grows (which I'm sure we all hope it will!), I shall move the sub-board onto the front page, or create a dedicated category just for Lix.

I've also set Simon and geoo to be moderators on the sub-board, because of their involvement in the development of Lix. I feel they're far more suitable for the job of moderating there than I am, although I can still tweak things there.

Adam :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 04:00:07 AM »
I've decided to go with the sub-board option for now.
As said earlier by Proxima, Clam, geoo, and myself, a Level Design sub-board is not the best choice. Only 4 out of currently 9 topics are about levels.

In addition, a great chunk of Lix talk in IRC is not about levels at all, and having done that in the Lemmings Forums threads wouldn't have suited the old forum structure at all. Level design has so far been about the only thing discussable in appropriate topics.

Please make the Lix board a top-level board like any other, because that is what suits the expected content and serves the needs of the userbase.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 11:45:20 PM »
Thanks for the subforum, and even making me moderator! :thumbsup:

I was wondering whether it'd make sense to put everything multiplayer in the Lix subforum, considering practically Lix is the only game multiplayer is played in nowadays. Having a board 'Lix & multiplayer' might sound a bit strange...but it makes kinda sense, having multiplayer in one place, while it doesn't have a home right now.

Simon also mentioned that the subforum description should perhaps mention what Lix is. (And Simon or me should put a sticky with essential information in the subforum.)

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 12:15:39 AM »
If you and Simon would like to write a description for Lix, I'd be more than happy to edit the description! :)

Everything multiplayer in the Lix forum's a very good idea. The name might sound a bit strange, but it works.

The sticky would be a great idea, too.. it'll hopefully give everyone all the info they need to get started.

I was looking into possibly recolouring the Lix forum to give it colours more suited to Lix, but that'll take some time, and a fair bit of experimentation. Plus, it might end up being a crapola idea.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:41:04 AM »
Yep, good ideas, already made a sticky.

If the board's going to be Lix and Multiplayer, the following topics can also be moved there, which cannot be performed by geoo nor me:

Proposed description for Lix and Multiplayer: Lix is a Lemmings-like game featuring networked multiplayer, an editor, and singleplayer.

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 11:17:28 AM »
I just found this topic again, and noticed that the threads mentioned in the above post still haven't been moved to the Lix board. Anyone?

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 03:06:30 PM »
I just moved all the Lix specific ones, but I didn't move the ones talking about multiplayer in general since they refer to all games.