Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 168619 times)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #450 on: March 27, 2012, 11:26:16 PM »
Ok, here's a dozen X of each skill type levels, of varying difficulties. Some are quite easy, some are actually a bit tricky-ish. Some are decorative, some are very simplistic. Trying to round out the easy difficulties. Also if anyone has ideas for hard versions, awesome.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 28, 2012, 01:34:16 AM »
Very nice. "Any Way You Want" has an easy 1-skill solution, as well as many other ways to solve it, and would be an excellent first level of the pack. All the others were great fun to solve, and no doubt open to a good variety of challenges; and except for Flagpole Sitting they all look really good  :thumbsup: Flagpole Sitting is the only one I didn't save 100% on; I wonder if it can be done?

I think I will at least have a go at making harder versions of some of these... might be quicker than building my own levels, even remakes, and sadly I have an awful lot of demands on my time at the moment. Heck, I sketched out "The Sign of Four" weeks ago and I still haven't built it  :'(

I've had a brief look at the latest hard levels from IS and TM; no progress yet, they all look incredibly difficult!

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 28, 2012, 01:49:28 AM »
Any Way You Want is designed to be the very first level after the tutorials, hence why there's several one skill solutions as well as others (make everyone a floater, for instance). 100% on Flagpole is probably possible (thinking builder walls or something), I'll have to give it a shot.

As for the hard levels, I might make a couple small changes to Off the Rails, but the solution will likely be very similar. Trapeze Cheese .... well,  ;P

EDIT: Here's Tinker Tailor Soldier Lix, very nice level.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 28, 2012, 02:14:22 AM »
This wouldn't win many marks for elegance, but yes, 100% on Flagpole is possible.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 28, 2012, 03:01:59 AM »
I liked all your fun levels. I might try to make a hard version of "any way" but I might rearange the terrain just a tad. I don't have much time to make levels right now either.
also, I  like seeing the remakes of your Lemmix levels.

for tinker, you got it, first try, no backroute (yipiee). After it was finished I was trying to figure out a way of hiding the solution more by maybe adding stuff but I couldn't think of anything good. (boy, if this level has no back-routes do I get a prize? ;P)

Only, in this replay you didn't actually solve it. ( the miner keeps going into oblivion) though this could be due to me; I might have changed something slitgtly to my version after I uploaded. In any case, I think it's a little too tight with the miner and I can rectify it by taking a little of the right side of that block. (as I mentioned I don't like when you need to get frustratingly close to something etc.)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 28, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »
No, but I might.

I found Steve's solution to Tinker pretty quickly, and realised that it can't work on the level as it is, because you cannot start the rightwards miner high enough to make him stop when he breaches the wall. Assuming this was deliberate, I kept trying, and eventually found a beautiful and much harder-to-spot solution. I think it might even be the only way to solve the level as it currently stands. If so, can I humbly beg of you to leave it unchanged so that this becomes the real solution? I loved this puzzle and was so proud of myself when I solved it!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 29, 2012, 12:19:34 AM »
Doh... I had removed this method earlier then changed it and forgot. You really think that way's easier? I'd like to see what more people think. To me their kind of equal. (It's just I thought the builder trick I made up was tough)
Personally though, looking at it now, (depending on what anyone else says) I think I'd like to leave both in.

I would kind of like to preserve my solution as I was rather proud when I made it. However, I'm still brainstorming of ways to hide it better.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 29, 2012, 12:41:34 AM »
Oh, I see what you mean now :) I was trying simply queuing 3 builders on the first lix.... when I realised that the method didn't work, I didn't follow it through any further and notice that that trick would be required.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 30, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »
Solutions to IS's pair.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 30, 2012, 12:30:17 AM »
Trapeze is intended. Off the Rails's replay isn't working right at all for me, but you have quite a few tasks left over, which isn't intended.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 30, 2012, 01:01:43 AM »
Trapeze:
I did wonder if that was intended, despite its "backroute-ish" feel. I love the way the distribution of skills is just about right to make it look as if an orthodox route may be possible. In fact, I still wonder whether it is....

You must have changed Off the Rails since the version I played, then. I only have a jumper left over.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 30, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »
"Low road" solution to Trapeze. I had to work bloody hard for this, so I hope you'll leave it in!  :P

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 31, 2012, 12:40:52 AM »
I'm not sure about Process Management. The solution requires setting the release rate to 1; what's the view of that?
I think having the minimum spawn interval be 1 is ok, hopefully players won't miss that it's 4 and not 1. Just noticed that the save requirement is 3, so it's intended that you just build, set the RR to 1 and assign 3 athletes? (First time I did it I went to set up the path along the bottom.)

!!!!! you've put in the original graphic sets!!

but... are we allowed to use these? Should we? Are some of them supposed to replace the ones which weren't finished like the underground set?
No, I think Simon put them in by accident, just like the wurst folder.  :XD: No level that uses the original styles can be included in a Lix release (and therefore this level pack), as all content has to be free (i.e. not copyrighted). Support for the old styles has been in for a very long time, but to use them you'll have to copy the files from the original games into the right places.

Erbalunga: I think the way it stands, with the time limit removed, it makes for a nice easier level with multiple solutions.
Stuff in the way: Not sure about this one, I'll have a look how much it takes exactly to execute the different routes; if a time limit eliminates them clearly, then that might indeed be a good way to do it.
Critical Procedures: I agree that it's better with the requirement to save 59. My initial solution I found is another different one and can also be adapted to save 59.
Endeavor: Proxima's suggestion should work, so are you fine with swapping 3 jumpers for a builder?

I found Steve's latest levels a bit easier than TM's three.
Proxima's replay for Off the Rails works for me (and uses the same main idea as mine), so I guess you have edited the level afterwards so that the replays desynch. I made a pretty silly edit to this level called 'Derailed Level' because I felt like it, but I don't think it's worth including.
After being stumped at "Over the Top" from Steve's Cheapo pack for pretty long, I don't think I'm ever gonna fall for this again (feel free to try to prove me wrong though), so I saw the idea to Trapeze immediately, though I did it in a somewhat overly complicated way. Went on to find the bottom route, didn't manage to pull off a route through the center though.
Division of Labor: Found a solution after a while, but I feel there's nothing really noteworthy about it. Wonder whether it's a backroute.
Four Lix and a Funeral 10: Same as above, probably a backroute. Haven't tried the other version yet.
Tinker: Really stumped on this one, only solution I found so far uses the miner assignment to cancel a digger glitch, a behavior which I think will be eliminated in some future version of Lix. Haven't read the comments on this level yet.

Finally, I made three new levels.
'Have it Off' and 'Don't Catch Me if You Can' should be pretty hard, while 'Time to Change the Road You're on' is an easy one with two possible solutions.
Has anyone solved Recycling Plant btw?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 31, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »
Solutions to the first three.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 31, 2012, 02:59:25 AM »
I really like Proxima's lower route solution for Trapeze :thumbsup:

I think I'm actually going to remove the ceiling from Trapeze, leave it a bit open ended as to solutions (though change the name because you no longer are supposed to "Cheese" the solution), and make a new over the top type level.

Yea, change the skillset for Endeavor.

I re-downloaded Off the Rails from my attachment and even the original version I uploaded to the site doesn't work with your replays. It says my version of the game is old so that might have something to do with it, but the replays for Trapeze work. Hmmmmm.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano