Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 168067 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #210 on: February 13, 2012, 11:39:07 AM »
Two solutions for Riddle Me This. One is glitch-free, saves the required 49/50 and is probably intended; the other exploits a new Lix glitch to save 50/50. This is my first glitch discovery -- I feel like a member of an exclusive club!  :thumbsup:

And solution for ccexplore's "100% built by Lixes". Yes, I recognise the level and I already knew the 100% solution to it; but it's good to see a level that requires this trick to complete. Still took me a while to work out how to do without the basher. I'm undecided as to whether I think it's a good or bad thing that the level gives you only (what I think is) the minimum number of builders....

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 13, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
"Won't Get Fooled Again" <snip> backroute <snip> But I think I have fixed them now

Nope.  I found one, but that's pretty easily addressable by a minimum spawn rate, or (for now since there's no min s.r.) increase the number of Lixes.  92/100 seems to be good enough to eliminate this particular backroute, and I can go n/(n+8) for as high as I need to fix this.

[edit: fixed the backroute Clam found.  Presenting v3 here.]

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »
Two more Cheapo remakes.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 13, 2012, 08:45:39 PM »
EDIT: What? Those steam vent things fling the Lix around, they don't kill them? That really sucks; none of the existing deadly objects will fit well with this level at all. Can we have a flamethrower or something? (And yeah, for now, anyone trying to solve this level, just pretend the steam vents are deadly....)

Yeah, the steam vents are modeled after the analogous object in Lemmings 2.  They fling, not kill.  It's basically not a deadly object at all.  I can see how it can be confusing though to people who haven't played Lemmings 2.  We need to make sure we have a tutorial level featuring that object so that the behavior is learned very early on.

I think we can all agree that the styles right now are a little sparse in the variety of non-triggered deadly objects offered.  Any chance you can just replace the steam vents with lasers or buzzsaws for now, until a real flamethrower object is made?

It's actaully interesting that you thought the steam would act like the flamethrower.  Perhaps that means we can quickly create an okay-looking flamethrower using some sort of palette swap with the steam object?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 13, 2012, 08:58:52 PM »
For the level, I've used the torches (the new version is now in the above post). That's the best object to use anyway, since it makes it look even more like "Prince of Persia" (which is the theme for this level, in case anyone couldn't tell). I just wasn't expecting the torches to work as they're so narrow, but heh, it turns out that they snap to the edge of a grid cell, conveniently placing them directly under the wall above.

Yes, I assumed the steam vent was a deadly object -- after all, the ONML Snow style features a very similar-looking steam vent that is deadly. I do still want to have a flamethrower available, not for this level but in general. Palette-swapping the steam vent might be a start, but really, the flamethrower should be much bigger.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 13, 2012, 09:09:29 PM »
here's the fixed, and good version of Babylon Fading.

Two solutions for Riddle Me This. One is glitch-free, saves the required 49/50 and is probably intended; the other exploits a new Lix glitch to save 50/50. This is my first glitch discovery -- I feel like a member of an exclusive club!  :thumbsup:
that's an odd glitch. Can't see why that happens. I'll have to look into it. It looks like the miner dug out under the dig or visa-versa but that doesn't seem to make sense. Those levels I posted were made in haste and I doubt their very worthwhile. Their too similar anyway.

Here's one I think you'll enjoy. This is sort of a remake of one of Pieuw's. But it's modified slightly for Lix. His uses a 'glitch' which I don't believe is present in Lix. I tested, but not extensively. (Of course I couldn't get the glitch to work in Lemmix either but I'm waiting to see if he'll answer a question about it). Anyway, I fear this version will be easier than his but we'll see.

I think Won't get fooled again is a great title. (one of my favorite songs)

I thought the steam vent was deadly too at first until I messed around with it. (It doesn't help  that it's in 'traps' folder, Although I guess there is no where else to put it.

oh and earlier when I said I liked a level 'recycling plant' or something I meant Steve's 'Rhapsody' actually. I wasn't mocking anybody or anything. Also, on the current downloadable level pack (at least the one I downloaded) you have the wrong version of Slippery Pete. It should be the last one I uploaded, it should have water (not lava) and be 100% required and 4 floaters.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 13, 2012, 09:42:14 PM »
Replays for Last Laugh and Last Mile.

This solution to Last Laugh required some thought to work out how to deal with the time limit (even though it turns out there is a simpler way to do it than the one shown...) so I believe this is certainly a case where the time limit benefits the level.

Those levels I posted were made in haste and I doubt their very worthwhile
You're being much too hard on yourself. They're both very nice puzzles and they have that lovely feeling of looking impossible at first glance.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 14, 2012, 12:32:23 AM »
I found a 100% solution to Last Laugh (attached), and it turns out to be completely different to Proxima's :D. Can't agree with the time limit though, unless there is a specific unwanted 'solution' that takes a long time.

I found a backroute to Won't Get Fooled Again, it only barely works though so should be easily fixed by increasing the height of the wall (so long as that doesn't wreck the intended solution).

Replay attached also for Labyrinth of Persia, 100% again.

Edit: Solved Toccata, after much time limit rage and having to redo half the level. :(

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 14, 2012, 01:23:24 AM »
haha, that's what I get for not testing my own level out enough. (and for trying to once again make it exactly like the original). Actually neither of you are even close to the intended solution.  :o (those were good though) Fortunately; this means the solution is harder to see? Of course now that I changed it it may become more obvious, perhaps only to those who played it hopefully.
Truthfully idk if I'll be able to do this level justice as this 'trick' really isn't a whole lot like Pieuw's level.
As for the time limit, idk if it's necessary or not, actually probably not, I just have this habit of filling in every box on a form. It's why I filled in the German titles even though I don't speak German.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2012, 01:35:42 AM »
I found a backroute to Won't Get Fooled Again, it only barely works though so should be easily fixed by increasing the height of the wall (so long as that doesn't wreck the intended solution).

Thanks.  That was a head-slapping moment. :-[ Fortunately, it is fixable by increasing the height of the wall, as you suggested.

[sidenote: in case people are wondering about the title--no it wasn't about backroutes, though I'm sure it'll be funny to think of it like that. ;P I was thinking about the terrain formations that mimic the entrance and exit for pseudo-symmetry, and kinda come upon the title from the thought that "no one would be fooled by those obviously fake objects" (and yes, the song)]

[edit: fixed another backroute, but looks like no one downloaded v3 yet, so I've attached v4 here]

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 14, 2012, 01:41:06 AM »
And solution for ccexplore's "100% built by Lixes". Yes, I recognise the level and I already knew the 100% solution to it; but it's good to see a level that requires this trick to complete. Still took me a while to work out how to do without the basher. I'm undecided as to whether I think it's a good or bad thing that the level gives you only (what I think is) the minimum number of builders....

I guess there's no harm in adding a few extra builders, as I don't think they would change the overall solution much.  I do think I should avoid the number 15 though, just to make it slightly more dissimilar to the origin level. ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 14, 2012, 11:52:51 AM »
so as long as you used up all skills, saving more than required is not a backroute per se.

Turns out with good timing, you can in fact get away with using one less skill than I planned, but I think it's good to leave the skillset the way it is anyway.  Although I think it does increase the likelihood of stumbling upon the solution, oh well.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 14, 2012, 10:01:04 PM »
Hmm, should've seen this old one coming back.  Well, at least this one is easy to address.  No dramatic changes needed, yet.
Can't resist, this is just too entertaining. Something relatively new this time.

Hmm, getting warmer at least.  8) Hope this isn't too distracting for you--should I wait after Tues to post B5?

Here's Brickout B5.

[edit: ...and so goes the running gag, but hey, this time it was TM!  Get B6 here]

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2012, 10:17:20 PM »
[edit: fixed another backroute, but looks like no one downloaded v3 yet, so I've attached v4 here]

geoo just found a solution to "Won't Get Fooled Again" v4 that I thought was not quite possible, but actually just manages to be sufficient.  It's not that bad a solution though (it did use all skills at least), so I'm undecided at this point whether to allow the level to have two solutions or just mine. :-\

If you want a go at my solution, try to solve the level saving more than required.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 15, 2012, 12:50:01 AM »
Here's another level -- the gameplay area is finished, but as it's getting late, I decided to upload now and save decorative terrain work for tomorrow.