Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 168557 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #255 on: February 18, 2012, 12:56:52 AM »
Then I guess my solution wasn't intended. (I like the title, btw.)

TM's Towers, I don't like much, even for a "Fun" level. Too easy with platformers; a bit laborious if you remove them. (However, the straight right edge of the right tower is giving me ideas for a hard version....)

Not trying to steal your thunder or anything, but I have a whole batch of thirty Fun-type levels I made for my Cheapo sets. Twenty if you exclude the training levels, Drop the Dead Lemming (already remade as Come on down to my place, and too hard for Fun) and We'll meet again (already remade). Yes, these levels veer towards the unimaginative and builder-heavy, but they could be improved rather than remade identically. I'm sure you don't want all twenty, but I'll definitely try to pick out the better ones and remake them.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 18, 2012, 01:42:39 AM »
Brickout has finally reached a point where geoo's solution is sort of acceptable. ;) That said, it's only fair to the poor level that after all these trials and tribulations, the original solution be continually defended until found. :P

Thus presenting B8 here, while I have kept old B7 around as well for comparison purposes in the future.  It is also possible to come up with a "B7.5" (not posted for now) that is a slightly more interesting version of geoo's B7 solution, if that ends up being used for the set.

[edit: nope, there's something not so good in B7 and B8.  Next version is B8-b.  Don't ask. :P]

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 18, 2012, 02:23:58 AM »
Then I guess my solution wasn't intended. (I like the title, btw.)

TM's Towers, I don't like much, even for a "Fun" level. Too easy with platformers; a bit laborious if you remove them. (However, the straight right edge of the right tower is giving me ideas for a hard version....)

Actually I was working on that level as a hard one, I hit a wall with it so I took a break then thought it might make a good duplicate fun level.  But in that case, just disregard that one and I'll be uploading it later as a hard level.

you could release an entire game of Brickout levels, ccexplore. jk. ;P
btw, I don't mean to get off topic or personal or anything, but are you the same ccexplore from the chips challenge area of the internet? Who is also responsible for creating some of the most insane levels in that game as well.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 18, 2012, 06:07:26 AM »
you could release an entire game of Brickout levels, ccexplore. jk. ;P

You may not be that far off.  :XD: geoo just found a simpler solution that still works with B8, so here comes the next version.  Unfortunately, I foolishly forked the filename to B8 in order to keep B7, so now it's weird if I use 9 in the title but keep 8 in the filename.  So you get B8-b now (filename still "B8"). ;P  Oh, and looks like this level got more buzzsaws now than Top Gear. :-\

It's not entirely all bad though, some of the "rejected" solutions in earlier versions are actually not all that bad and has arguable merit in a repeat or a slightly different level.

====================

btw, I don't mean to get off topic or personal or anything, but are you the same ccexplore from the chips challenge area of the internet? Who is also responsible for creating some of the most insane levels in that game as well.

Yes I am, I think that has been brought up in this forum before by someone else actually.  Of course, those insane Chip's Challenge levels you referred to are more like the equivalent of tseug's glitch levels here. :P  Brickout is not anything like that.

[edit: here's B-8C which eliminates geoo's latest solution.  Keeping in mind how long it took for geoo to get to B-8B, I've kept B-8B in here anyway as a (probably not too helpful other than pity ;P) stepping stone to the real thing]

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 18, 2012, 11:10:04 AM »
I've confirmed that 100% is possible on both We'll meet again and Dividing Three by Two.

TM, on second thoughts I was a bit too harsh on your Towers level. I think it could be a good Fun level if you removed the platformers and required only 20 saved. Good luck with the hard version; if you do continue to "hit a wall" then I'd be happy to try to help.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 19, 2012, 02:33:13 AM »
[unrelated] actually, now that I think about it, I dont think that I played your chips set, it was "pieguy" who created an incredibly hard set but I remembered in some notes file or something, "thanks to ccexplore for telling me about such and such... and then years later on a forum far far away...  :P small world.

anyway... here's a good update to 'eye of the needle'. Idk if anyone played my other update but it was stupid. & I thought  my first version was too similar to my level conundrum so I changed it a bit but the idea is basically the same. I know in the beginning you (geoo) said no precision or tight timing, but I don't think this one is incredibly difficult in that area plus, it's short enough and the options are small enough that I think you can't figure out the timing quickly enough. I'm really curious if the need for runners could be totally removed in place of the right RR jiggering. I kinda doubt it (and I like having the runners)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 19, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »
Funny how these things happen, isn't it? Finlay and I also knew each other on another forum (the ZBB) before happening to run into each other here. And I first met my close friend Jonathan when he wrote to me about my walkthrough for a different puzzle game, and after we started corresponding, we found out that we live less than an hour away from each other.

Anyway, here's a solution (backroute?) to Needle 3.

EDIT: Finally solved the first Eye of the Needle! That was an awesome puzzle, and (apart from one-way walls not being available yet, but they are promised) I don't understand why you wanted to change it?  ???

Yes, it uses the "Conundrum" trick, but the player doesn't know that to begin with, and it's much better-concealed here, and there are many more approaches you can try that turn out not to lead anywhere. Not to mention the very tempting false assumption that the blocker is used on the initial platform.

EDIT: Decided to see if I could use that solution to work out the intended solution to Needle 3... but I found another backroute instead. Oh, and I'm pretty sure this can be modified to save 100% if you use a miner in the place I used the exploder. (EDIT: 100% was much harder than I expected, but yes, it's possible.)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 19, 2012, 07:13:28 PM »
Some more Cheapo remakes. "Changing of the Guards" is the other one, along with Behind Bars, that I think worth keeping from my Notebook set. (For those who weren't on the forums at the time -- this is a set based on levels I drew in a literal notebook, when I first got Lemmings as a child, and never thought I would one day actually be able to play my designed levels! Of course, the reason these two are better is that it's only the layouts that have remained the same, not the solutions. I certainly couldn't invent the climb-bomb trick, or make real puzzle levels, at that age.)

"Walk them golden stairs" is Level 17 of my Cheapo Fun set I mentioned a few posts up, attached together with its harder version. I've chosen this one to remake first because it's not as builder-heavy as some others, and interacting with the mesh is indeed fun :P

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 20, 2012, 05:34:17 AM »
Funny how these things happen, isn't it? Finlay and I also knew each other on another forum (the ZBB) before happening to run into each other here.
You won't know him, but you may have seen Nortaneous posting on here; he's a regular on the ZBB these days too... 8) :o

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 20, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »
I've finally completed A Matter of Perspective and Buy one get one free (part 2)  8) I'm interested to know whether these are backroutes, particularly Perspective, since my hunt for a solution to that one led me to discover a neat trick I've not seen used before. I didn't manage to solve the level using this trick, but there may be a solution using it -- maybe even the intended solution. So I'd like to know whether this is the case, as if not, then I want to claim the trick and be the first to make a level using it :)

Just No More Heroes and Get Hype 5 left to solve now, ignoring those levels I've given up on ;)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 20, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »
what is the trick you're referring to? I didn't notice anything odd. Actually I think I might have the wrong version of the level or something because in your replay u don't solve the level.

Your other three levels above are all good; very creative and more challenging then they seem at first. I particularly like Changing of the guards. I still haven't solved No more Hero's either. And the only version of Brickout I've been able to solve is 4 I think, the one I posted earlier. (and it was a backroute :XD:)

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 20, 2012, 07:43:17 PM »
Phew, finally got around to updating the list, I'm not completely done yet though. (And I feel the difficulty rating is all over the place now  :XD:)
Anyway, as the directory it getting pretty full and navigation slow as molasses (haha), one important note:
From now on, put all levels that get posted in this topic in the directory levels/single/lixlfpack/wip/ !
Once a level is one the list however, it is in levels/single/lixlfpack/. If you want to update a level after it has been put on the list, please use the filename as on the list and put it in levels/single/lixlfpack/ (not wip). Thanks.

Updated levels:
Alien Invasion (backroute), Matter of Perspective (backroute, though there's a new one already), Bibbidi, Compression Method 2, Mice in the Pipe (backroute), No more Heroes (backroute), Slippery Pete, Tapestry (backroute), Italian Job.

New Levels:
Conundrum: Removed the decoration and went back to the old design (without the pipes) as you wanted.
100% built by Lixes, Dances with Lixes, Downpour, Escape the Pit, It's all uphill, Little Viennese, Snow Lix, Too Far to Walk, Waltz in C Sharp Miner, Labyrinth of Persia, Prelude, Toccata, Once You Pop, Walk Them, Lix Lata, Dividing Three, The Last Mile, Won't get fooled again, Fnargl.

Not included yet:
House of flying Lixes B/C: @ccx: Don't remember whether you wanted to adapt it still, I'd adapt version C then accordingly that the looks match as closely as possible.
Chasm: backroutes to be fixed
Brickout B8-b: haven't solved it yet
2 Wheat: Proxima's (probably) backroute was never commented on
Lixology: @Nortaneous: You said you might want to do a redesign, you're free to use the current design as well though. Just tell me whether you gonna do it or not.
Down Among, Changing of the Guards, Quick Turn Around: I still need to play these.
Buridan/We'll meet again: @Proxima: Haven't played the latest version yet to find the intended solution, but am I correct that you kept in my backroute using the digger shoveling behaviour in the hope a physics change will take care of it?
Eye of the Needle (version 1): @thick molasses: Oh, so when you write "one way wall to the right" you actually mean one with arrows facing left. OK... (I find your posts a bit hard to read in general at times when your writing is sloppy. Perhaps you could skim through them a second time before posting.) Though I can't find other solutions bashing the block towards the right, so you could probably eliminate my backroute by placing a buzzsaw at the top above the center of the pit where I platformed, even without an OWW. Solved it now as well only bashing facing left. I found this one really tricky, it's an excellent level. Not sure what you're trying with version 2 and 3 though, they're both riddled with backroutes. Note though that even with an OWW there will be a backroute in version 1 due to an upcoming physics change (not hard to fix though): as I wrote in the post where I posted the solution to version 1, in the next version of Lix it will be possible to make a bomber hole at the bottom and then bash under the steel without the basher stopping. (Which also addresses your second point from your latest post in the topic "Lix glitches and tricks", if I understand correctly what you're trying to convey there.)

Proxima: Buy one get one free (Part 2) is a backroute, interesting nonetheless. Didn't consider bypassing the exit like that.
From what I know, A Matter of Perspective is a backroute as well. The intended solution does use some trick, but I think when you find it it's clear how to apply it to the level, so you probably have found something different. For the record, it's possible without climbers.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 20, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »
Thanks for all your hard work!  :thumbsup:

If you've got the updated version of Compression Method 2, you can remove the "?" tag.

I don't see Fnargl on the list. I'm particularly curious as to how you would rate this, as it's one of the ones I gave up on :)

The Last Laugh is on the list but not mentioned in your post. Which version of it did you choose?

Buridan: That's correct. Even if that doesn't happen, I feel that a glitch backroute is a much less serious defect than a conventional backroute, as many players won't have your knowledge of glitches and facility for finding new ones 8) Just to be clear, it's specifically the ability of the digger to build in mid-air by interrupting his last stroke that I'm labelling a glitch; Lix's side-to-side terrain removal is exploited in the intended left-exit solution.

Here's a solution to A Matter of Perspective that uses the trick I mentioned, and works in the latest version uploaded. Now you can tell me whether we're talking about the same trick or not :) I didn't find it that clear how to apply it; I kept being one floater short before I found the correct way to use the given runner.

And since no-one else has posted one yet, here's a solution to Snowlix.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 20, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »
I had the wrong version of perspective, my bad.
did you mean building at just the correct moment so one lix is able to turn around with the builder but the rest will walk up and to the exit? But good job anyway, even if it's not intended.
Or were you referring to your lightening fast switch from a builder to floater (I just assumed you paused, but then in the walkthroughs for Tseug's levels people posted, they do similar fast movments & in OL you can't assign when paused)

I didn't know about adding /wip/ to the file name, so none of mine are like that sorry. I don't remember anyone telling me to have /wip/ in the filename before.

-to answer questions: I gave up on "2 wheat etc.." I did however make the level "quick turn around" which was more of what I was trying for. Tell me what you think of that, if it's no good then I'll forget the whole idea.
(I'm trying to go in more creative directions anyway, that is, avoiding levels that are just "distract all the lemmings while one builds over a gap")
-on Eye of the needle, I meant a one way wall pointing right>>>>. The idea is a lix has to go over and around then bash from the other side. The build, block and bomber trick is what I wanted to highlight about this level. Clam's solution is the correct one. But there was your backroute and Clam mentioned it was too precision demanding so I was trying to change it but with little luck. I have to work on it still. But if everybody like's the first version best then I'll try to keep that idea as best i can. That is what I was talking about in the glitches thread btw, but that solution would be solved by a oow. I tried a few times and can't do much to get rid of backroutes without a oow, (& without changing the level drastically)
[[in your solution I didn't see the point in platforming across the top? Other than making it easier to time/bomb?]] And if your ever confused about something I said just ask, I know I write sloppy sometimes, that's because I have a bad memory & if I dont write things down quickly they're lost forever. I don't always use perfect grammar because frankly, I don't like English much. And to think I wanna become a writer  :(

There are some levels on the list I haven't heard of, I gots to play those.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 20, 2012, 11:36:21 PM »
did you mean building at just the correct moment so one lix is able to turn around with the builder but the rest will walk up and to the exit?

That's right.

Or were you referring to your lightening fast switch from a builder to floater (I just assumed you paused, but then in the walkthroughs for Tseug's levels people posted, they do similar fast movments & in OL you can't assign when paused)

I wouldn't call that a trick, just knowing how to use the controls :P Besides, all versions of Lemmings I've played allow you to change which skill is selected while paused, and then position the cursor in readiness to assign the skill immediately.

I didn't know about adding /wip/ to the file name, so none of mine are like that sorry. I don't remember anyone telling me to have /wip/ in the filename before.

It hasn't been mentioned before, that's why :P

-on Eye of the needle, I meant a one way wall pointing right>>>>. The idea is a lix has to go over and around then bash from the other side. The build, block and bomber trick is what I wanted to highlight about this level. Clam's solution is the correct one. But there was your backroute and Clam mentioned it was too precision demanding so I was trying to change it but with little luck. I have to work on it still. But if everybody likes the first version best then I'll try to keep that idea as best i can. That is what I was talking about in the glitches thread btw, but that solution would be solved by a oow. I tried a few times and can't do much to get rid of backroutes without a oow, (& without changing the level drastically)

Clam Spammer only said "a little frustrating", not "this must be changed". The solution concept is one that requires a little precision; any element of frustration is more than compensated for by the excellence of the puzzle. Clam did suggest adding one more runner -- did you miss that, or do you not like the idea? But the first version (when the OOW is added) is definitely much better than the others.

[[in your solution I didn't see the point in platforming across the top? Other than making it easier to time/bomb?]]

To allow the first faller to bomb in the correct place. Remember, you only get one floater.

Meanwhile, this one's adapted from Level 5 of my Fun-difficulty set. The same layout could be used for a level introducing the concept of timed bombers, if we want to include one.