Author Topic: Lemmings music: identifying the songs they are based on  (Read 21350 times)

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings music: identifying the songs they are based on
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2012, 10:13:36 AM »
Tim3 is based on music from the Puggs in Space demo, but that was also done by Tim Wright so that might not count.

Also, Tim Wright on Tim7: (from a Youtube comment)
Indeed... written (shoddily) from memory(!) and then I just started to waffle away with my own theme... (cough!)
i.e. only half is the Turkish March

Quote from: finlay
I think it's the Adlib/Tandy difference, whatever those words mean.
What even is Tandy as far as audio goes? Is that some weird term for Soundblaster and Gravis, or...? (it should be obvious that it's been a long time since I've installed Lemmings on DOS...)

edit: I just noticed that they edited the part from the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly out of the DOS CD version of Tim10.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings music: identifying the songs they are based on
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2012, 11:24:49 AM »
i.e. only half is the Turkish March
I think in terms of amount of time taken it was much more than half.  Basically only the final 8 measures before repeating are brand new and not derived from Mozart's composition.

I mean, a lot of the music that's copied from other tunes are like that.  The original classical compositions for example don't actually loop after a minute or two, so at some point you have to deviate to make the music usable for a game.  Plus it's hard for a musician to just blindly copy without trying to add something of his own to it.

What even is Tandy as far as audio goes?
These links below from Wikipedia give some background on it.  Tandy is actually not an audio thing, it's a whole series of PC models sold in Radio Shack that have some non-standard audio and graphics abilities beyond those from IBM compatibles back in the very early days of PCs (ie. beyond the pathetic CGA and the square-wave internal speaker [only good for the BIOS beeps basically]).  From Wikipedia, the actual sound chip used by Tandy is the Texas Instruments SN76489.  It's a little better than the BIOS beeper but nowhere as advanced as SoundBlaster.  Kinda similar to NES's sound capabilities except slightly more primitive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCjr#Legacy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_1000