Author Topic: So... Lemmix...  (Read 3340 times)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
So... Lemmix...
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:45:34 PM »
Is there a way to load your own level packs into the Lemmix player? I mean the one that you're actually meant to play the levels on, rather than the editor playtest mode, which doesn't have sound. Or is there a way to add the sound to the playtest mode?

I'm just on my dad's computer, which can run windows, you see... but chances are by the time I get an answer to the question I'll be back at home and unable to run lemmix anymore anyway. Well, never mind. ;p

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: So... Lemmix...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:28:50 AM »
Sort of. You can save all the levels as LVL files, then rename them to the position you want them to take over. Eg: 0101.lvl will replace Fun 1 in Orig, Tame 1 in OhNo, or Mild 1 in Plus. You just need to edit the INI file to change "LookForLVLs" to 1.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »
What about a level pack? How did you compile your Lemmings Plus? (incidentally I've been playing them on custlemm and they're quite good – but then I hit a brick wall with one level or another and wish I had a walkthrough. :-[ )

Also, does anyone have a list of levelcodes? The proper ones don't work.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 01:01:40 PM »
I had to recompile it from the source code to do that. I can probably walk you through doing it if you're at least somewhat computer literate. I'd have to dig out the unmodified source code though (the one on the Lemmix site is incomplete, me and CC have full versions of it but I'm not sure where mine is).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »
Fair enough. I'm not bothered enough to do that. :P Still, you can't get it to load a levelpack in the proper game, then? Why doesn't playtest mode have sound, is that a problem or deliberate?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:59:59 PM »
The editor playtest mode doesn't do music for fairly obvious reasons, but I have a version at home that has sound effects, so either it's a matter of including some files that aren't included in the current download, or I somehow have an older version that has the sound effect files embedded.  I won't be able to verify for another 10 or so hours.

LemmixPlayer was designed originally solely for playing Lemmings and ONML without resorting to DOSBox.  It would've made sense to have a CustLemm-equivalent LemmixPlayer but for whatever reasons that never happened.  The ability to take in replacement LVLs was put in later as a sort of afterthought.  That doesn't even work very well for CustLemm since neither the Lemmings LemmixPlayer nor the ONML LemmixPlayer include all 9 graphics sets (later namida wound up recompiling from source code to fix that issue for his sets).

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 01:32:12 AM »
I tried playing Lemmini but the places where the mechanics differed annoyed me too much. Like when blockers turn lemmings they're not supposed to if you block straight underneath the entrance.

It's just like... there's been quite a few levelpacks put up that just aren't compatible with Custlemm/Lemedit because they have 15 levels in them instead of 10, and then turn out to have 100 lemmings.... do people really just play them on test mode?

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 02:38:58 AM »
Can't speak for anyone else, but I just use the Lemmix editor playtest for custom levels (and challenges too, for that matter). I don't miss the sound, tbh, I'd just get annoyed by the repetitiveness of it.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
I'm sure a CustLemmix can't be too hard to do, although it's beyond me.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 02:15:17 PM »
I too tend to use Lemmix editor playtest.  I don't mind the lack of sound and music, and the editor playtest mode can't be beat when it comes to quickly switching from one level to another, to say nothing of switching between levelsets.  Even with a "CustLemmix" you'd still have to go through several transition screens to go from one level to another (just like CustLemm), unless someone actually writes a new "level picker" and maybe "levelset picker" UI into it.

And challenges are even more natural of a choice for Lemmix editor playtest.  No need to fuss around with levelcodes!  Just pick the game and level from a list!  Though granted, it's not too bad with LemmixPlayer either with cheat mode on (so you can literally enter something like "TRICKY12" on the levelcode screen to go there), and there are some advanced features like savestates that are missing in the playtest mode.