Author Topic: ClamLix  (Read 90826 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: ClamLix
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:44 AM »
Here's a fix to Lazy Gypsy Bums, with the runner replaced by a climber. Plus another new level, Lord of the Rungs. 8)

For Shopping Cart Race, it turns out that the original line of three traps isn't needed any more - their purpose is to stop you from simply building over to the other platform and turning back, and the new trap does that perfectly fine too :). I won't post a new version just for this, since it makes no difference to the solution (at least I hope not :P).

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 11:46:14 AM »
Here's a new Flower level, Bucket List. The cheesy titles just keep on coming :P, and just maybe the difficulty of these levels is creeping up a little.

Also, I finally got around to using the new level ordering list feature, which means no more need for prefixes on the filenames (eg. 2m-lazy-gypsy-bums.txt) to coax them into the desired order. It's now much easier to re-order the levels too :thumbsup:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 12:38:50 AM »
Nice level. I have a fun challenge for it, as well: 100%, 2 of each skill.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
Cool challenge :thumbsup:, this is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to see from the Flower levels. Attached my replay.

I've made a bunch of refinements to my levels lately (not just the new ones), so I might do another full re-release soon. I'm short on decoration ideas for some levels, but I don't want to put off a release because of that. What I do want to do though is have another look at the level order, and the number of levels per rating - currently they look rather uneven, not sure of the best way to deal with that.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »
And here's my replay 8)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »
Well, I did pretty much nothing on these since the last post, and I'm not envisioning much progress in the immediate future, so I'll just post it as it is now. The attached file contains 94 levels.

Added levels since last release:
Flower: Big & Small, Bucket List
Humane: Interval Training
Arcane: Urban Ledge-end, Shopping Cart Race, Lord of the Rungs
Insane: Made to (mis)measure, The Dugout
Flingsane: Coming Unstuck, Another Pick in the Wall, Extension Cord

Changes to existing levels:
Abridged Version - moved the tree left to make it more useful
The Turnaround Compendium - added sloped terrain at the bottom, needed due to diggers not turning on steel any more
The Endless Steps - added 10 bombers, added diagonal blocks in the middle to reduce the number of bombers needed
Throw The Switch MkII - replaced the saw trap with a holding pit, added a saw to prevent another backroute
The Pits - renamed to Underbelly
Catch Your Death - left wall moved across, one jumper removed
Hidden Springs - added jumpers, which may help depending how you try to do the level
Flotilla - spaced out the level more to make execution easier
Sand Me Down - replaced non-free trees with umbrellas (the palm tree graphic was found on the web, and thus may not be public domain and shouldn't be used)
Crevasse - slowed SI from 60 to 70
Square Squabble - reverted to a single entrance, slowed SI from 20 to 40 (hoping this doesn't cause problems, I forget the exact reason for the dual-entrance setup I had before)
From the Brink - added more space at the top to aid execution
+ other purely aesthetic changes on some levels

Needs decoration: Run around the block, Urban Ledge-end, Tribute to Sliding, Lord of the Rungs

Other notes: Added level ordering text files, some minor changes to level order, plus a description text file (text displays in-game when you navigate to levels/single/clam/).

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2012, 10:49:07 PM »
Changes to existing levels:
Throw The Switch MkII - replaced the saw trap with a holding pit, added a saw to prevent another backroute

was that my solution/backtoute? 
I've been playing your levels on and off btw. There's no feedback because I haven't solved any yet. :XD:

I forget what that title was a reference to. For some reason It makes me think of a combination of "push the button, Max" from the Amazing Race and Mmmkay? from Mr. Mackey/South Park.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2012, 01:14:43 AM »
was that my solution/backtoute?

Nope, I fixed that one already by forcing a fixed spawn rate. The new trap was to prevent you from blocking everyone under the entrance and batting to the left, which would get you across to the left side of the level. I've changed it now, by moving the platforms around so attempting to do this lands you in the laser trap instead :). Also added traps on both sides of the exit, to prevent the 'master batter' route (bat at the bottom of a fall to prevent splatting), which I somehow missed despite abusing the trick on other people's levels :P. New version attached.

The title is copied from one of my L2 levels (as with Wall Crawler), it's not intended as a reference to anything in particular.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Oh... I was going to say that the "master batter" route can still be done; then I notice you refer to traps on both sides of the exit, and these aren't in the version contained in Simon's download, so clearly that's still the old version of the level.

New challenge: Bridge Burnout, 100% with 2 of each.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »
The download should have what geoo and Clam agreed upon for inclusion. If there are newer versions, post a complete archive of your set, and I'll put it into the next release.

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 11:42:24 PM »
Also, now that the levels have been updated with new filenames and my nice column of ticks is all gone, that made for the perfect opportunity to revisit the Humane levels to improve my number saved. I've added my new records for these to the main Lix: Maximum Saved topic.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2012, 01:00:52 AM »
Done the first half (13 levels) of Arcane now. Yes, including Loose Ends, which had me stumped before  :thumbsup: Is this the way I was meant to do it?

Skipping Stones is really annoying me -- it's easy to beat, but very hard to get the maximum possible. So far, I haven't even been able to equal my previous record of 74, and even if I did, I wouldn't be at all certain whether it really is the maximum (whereas I'm pretty certain about all the other levels so far -- at least, unless any of them have a drastically different solution I missed).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Somehow, I got up at a ridiculous hour this morning as I just couldn't sleep, and I solved the next six levels of Arcane in a row! (You could say... I did six impossible things before breakfast!) But is this solution intended?

EDIT: Done all of Arcane!  :thumbsup:  Maximum saved results added to the main topic -- I've put Skipping Stones as "74?" since if the level hasn't changed, my previous record should still be attainable. But I'm damned if I can see how. This one is really infuriating.  :'(

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2012, 11:32:49 PM »
Is this the way I was meant to do it?
But is this solution intended?

Nope and nope :-\. Something for me to chew over next time I go to work on my levels...

I've put Skipping Stones as "74?" since if the level hasn't changed, my previous record should still be attainable.

The only difference I can see from previous versions of the level is that the spawn interval has increased, from 28 (formerly RR50) to 32 (RR42 under the old scheme), which surely shouldn't decrease the maximum saveable count. I don't recall any mechanics changes that would affect this level either. I'll try it now and see what I can save :)
edit: confirmed 74 possible :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2012, 12:59:47 PM »
Improved to 75  :thumbsup: And I feel pretty sure this is the maximum now.

How about my other records -- did any of them manage to surprise you? Any that you know are improvable?