Author Topic: ClamLix  (Read 90828 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: ClamLix
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
I'd like to comment on this, because it seems not many have, but I'm still working on your Lemmix levels.

ccexplore addressed your other point already, but as for this, I think you'd be better off to move on to my Lix levels now, for the following reasons:

- I've remade about half of my Lemmix levels for Lix, so you won't miss out on those ones anyway.
- I'm still refining my Lix levels, unlike the Lemmix packs which, by and large, I haven't done much with since releasing. This means (hopefully) fewer backroutes, and also means feedback for the Lix levels will be much more valuable ;)
- Lix has better game mechanics and usability features, so it's more fun to work with :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
Played the first half of Arcane now, solved numbers 1, 4, 7, 9. (I had previously solved 12, but the new minimum spawn rate invalidates that.) I assume the levels aren't meant to be in difficulty order within the set? There are some nice levels here, but rather too many annoying ones, especially with batters and cubers, for my liking. :P Also, sometimes your background colours, especially on Mental Block, are really jarring and that just stops the levels being fun to play. Still, I like the puzzles and I'll keep trying to solve them....

Why does it have my name in the top corner of "Builders without Borders"?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 09:34:57 PM »
Thanks Proxima for taking the time to play and comment on these :)

Solution to Altitude Training attached. Assuming this is roughly what you intended, then this should probably be in the next category up.

Ooh, I didn't expect anyone to try and go over the top of the stone like that. It wasn't even possible to do so until I made a late change to the level, moving all the terrain downward to give more room at the top. Yours is still fairly similar to the intended solution, but overcomplicated somewhat.

"Called in the wrong squad" was tremendous fun. I saved 67.

Interesting, I seem to recall ccexplore struggling to even solve this one :D

Also, sometimes your background colours, especially on Mental Block, are really jarring and that just stops the levels being fun to play.

It's supposed to be mental :P. The game would be dull if you didn't have some bright, colourful levels every now and then. What's the use of having background colours if you can't have a little fun with them?

Why does it have my name in the top corner of "Builders without Borders"?

That's a bug in the current version of the game, just try to ignore that for now :)

I assume the levels aren't meant to be in difficulty order within the set?

Well... actually they are :-\. This is why I need feedback on the levels, since it's awfully difficult to judge the difficulty given I know the solutions.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 11:39:24 PM »
"Called in the wrong squad" was tremendous fun. I saved 67.

Interesting, I seem to recall ccexplore struggling to even solve this one :D

"Struggling" is too strong a word. :P It was more like I breezed through the rest of the levels (of the ten or so you released way back at the start of this thread, and admittedly I backrouted a few of them), and then left with one or two that seems like it'll take some time to work through.  And then got distracted with some other stuff and haven't looked back.

I actually don't remember anything about that level anymore, I see that I muttered something about cubers the last time I said anything about the level.  Sadly I don't see myself having a lot of time in the near future to play anything, but if I do I'll give it a look again.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »
Quote from: Clam Spammer on 2012-03-09 15:34:57
Well... actually they are . This is why I need feedback on the levels, since it's awfully difficult to judge the difficulty given I know the solutions.
Ah, okay I've solved 3 and 6 now and they weren't that hard, though the precision needed on 3 was annoying. Still, 2 and 5 are nasty ones of the type that look impossible until you find the idea, which can easily leave players sweating for ages, whereas 9 was straightforward multitasking with a little precision, not difficult at all with Lix's replay abilities. And 7 was pretty gentle as bomber timing levels go -- I found the bomber timing level in Humane, "The Endless Steps", harder than this one -- though I did just get lucky first try with no-one going into the laser trap in the bottom-left.

EDIT: Finally got Wall Crawler

EDIT: Got 10 It was just getting down onto the leaf of the middle flower that was the tough part, the rest was straightforward enough.

EDIT: Got 11 and 12 12 only needed one more idea on top of my previous solution.

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:53:46 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »
Here are three new levels I've built in the past few days, all using the ever-versatile concrete terrain. One easy, one medium-hard and one hard, there's something for everyone here :) (put them in /single/Clam for now, I'll rate them later on)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 11:21:23 PM »
here's a replay of throw the switch. I didn't use all the skills.

so far I'm playing through Humane and they are all of similar difficulty imo. I can't yet imagine what your hardest difficulty is like. 

called in the wrong squad. Do I have to 'fling' the lemmings up to the exit? I ask because honestly, this is the one (and basically only) new skill of the game I don't really care for.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:54:33 PM by Prob Lem »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2012, 12:10:36 AM »
That's an awesome solution to Throw the Switch 

No, Wrong Squad doesn't involve flinging. I have to say I agree -- I'm not a big fan of batters and fling bombers because it's so much harder to work out where you can reach and where you can't. That's also true of jumpers, but to a lesser extent; besides, they open up so many new possibilities that I'm very glad they're in the game. Especially the jump-climber, which is awesome.

I've attached a replay for Wrong Squad, saving 72, five more than before.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:55:13 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 11:42:18 AM »
here's a replay of throw the switch. I didn't use all the skills.

Nice! :thumbsup: Somehow I never considered using the batter to fling multiple lix at once, but it's still essentially an extension of the regular solution, so I'll leave it in.

called in the wrong squad. Do I have to 'fling' the lemmings up to the exit?

Nope, I just use the fling-bomber here for the larger explosion crater. Of course, the fling is still there as a side effect :P. All levels where you have to use flinging to your advantage are in the Flingsane rating.

I've attached a replay for Wrong Squad, saving 72, five more than before.

Good work :). I don't know what the maximum possible is here, or indeed for my other levels (besides the obvious 100%-required ones :P). I'm quite looking forward to doing challenges on the Lix levels, including my own :D. That'll have to wait until the game is in a 'finished' state though...

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 08:03:49 AM »
Here are two new levels I've built in the past week or so.

'Interval Training' is exactly as its title suggests, a simple miner level involving manipulating the spawn interval.

'The Dugout' is a tricky puzzle using the three permanent skills (climber/floater/runner). If you have the first version that I posted on the IRC (it fits in one screen), it has a horrible backroute and you should redownload immediately. :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 12:19:22 AM »
I've now beaten five more levels in the Arcane set -- 5, 13, 16, 19 and the surprisingly easy 23. "Records" added to above post, though of course I've only completed them once and not yet tried to save as many as possible.

13: probable backroute, when the crowd landed on the platform just right of the exit, I made one a runner then blocker to turn everyone else round. I didn't need to do anything with the lix from the right hatch (indeed, I waited until they were all out before starting work).

16: fairly straightforward, I just made bridge walls to hold the crowd. Should come much earlier in the set.

19: Beautiful puzzle, really enjoyed solving this one even if my route needed a couple of precision moves. Replay attached.

I've had at least a look at all the remaining levels -- I think I know how to do 14, just don't feel like doing it at the moment. The others just look out of my depth -- even 8, which is the only one remaining in the first half of the set.

EDIT: Improved 23 to 100%.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 01:21:22 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Proxima, and great timing too - I just got back to working on my levels again (and even built some new ones, see below :)).

13: Took me a while to figure out what you did here (your description misses some important steps at the start), but I think I see it now. I might use a climber to make absolutely sure only one lix can get out from the left side.

16: I thought this one was fairly demanding execution-wise, which is why it's quite far down the list even though the concept is simple.

19: I like that solution, it's very different to anything I though of myself. There's heaps of ways to do it (my usual method is to use both cubers at the start), that's really the point of this level.

As for 23, I decided to put the two 'tribute' levels at the end since they are of a different style, not sure what to do with these really.

Attached are two fairly simple fling levels, Coming Unstuck and Another Trick in the Wall. The title for the latter may not be final, since the 'Wall' reference is a bit cliche :P. I shared another level on the IRC a while ago too, but I'm not quite satisfied with it yet.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 11:02:35 AM »
I shared another level on the IRC a while ago too, but I'm not quite satisfied with it yet.

All right, all it needed was a small tweak to remove a couple of unwanted (though not terribly bad) solutions, title suggested by geoo, and there we have it - Shopping Cart Race! :D

And another simple fling level, Extension Cord.

(edit: levels removed, go down 2 posts)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »
Beautiful and really fun levels!  :thumbsup:

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 12:26:28 PM »
Minor changes to Shopping Cart Race (more buzzsaw!) and Extension Cord (more lasers!), in response to replays from here and the IRC. Thanks for the quick replies, it really helps :)

And Proxima's solution to Dugout is exactly as intended, well done! :thumbsup: