Author Topic: new Graphics sets for L++/Lix  (Read 9831 times)

Offline Matt

• View Profile
new Graphics sets for L++/Lix
« on: May 05, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »
Here are some screenshots of the new graphics sets that I have been making for distribution with L++/Lix, since I have heard some requests to see them from people who couldn't directly obtain them.  The levels in the screenshots were made by RubiX.  There are 9 sets so far, and no more are planned. (EDIT: A new 10th set is planned.)

Set 01 - Earth

Set 02 - Gold Mine

Set 03 - Carnival

Set 04 - Sandy Beach(has 2 types: Daytime & Nighttime):
Daytime

Nighttime

Set 05 - Winter

Set 06 - Oriental

Set 07 - Underworld

Set 08 - Bricks

Set 09 - Marble

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: new Graphics sets for L++/Lix
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 12:06:07 AM »
Cool! 8) Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:

I'm not really seeing the difference between daytime and nighttime sandy beach?

And the pagoda in Oriental sticks out as looking rather sad.  Almost as if it was built out of Legos, but uglier.  I know, I suck at art and had no right to criticize, but surely it can't be that hard to improve? [edit: on 2nd thought, maybe it was just bad scaling of the screenshot]

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 12:39:11 AM »
it's possible that the forum's scaling of the screenshots ruined the look of them.  So, I've updated the first post so that they are just thumbnails, but they link to the full-sized images, so that you can see them properly.

Also, the difference between Daytime and Nighttime Sandy Beach is that Nighttime is a bit darker than Daytime is.  Nighttime also uses a different texture than Daytime does.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 12:49:55 AM »
I wanna see a mincraft set

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 01:05:51 AM »
Manners, Giga, manners.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 01:07:53 AM »
I've been very busy level making for lix (even though Simon's real reason for lix is based on multiplayer) it's still a beautiful lemmings clone  to play single player in, and having the extra L2 skills such as jumper, walker , platformer, it gives you such a huge ideabase for puzzles, that I'm having a blast.

Currently I have 93 singleplayer maps made across 4 difficulty sets, like Lemmings.   It 'may' get released with lix, unless Simon wants to keep the game multiplayer based.  Its his call though, but either way, I enjoy my time building some pretty awesome puzzles  8)    This keeps me away from getting back into World of warcraft.

Other Maps:   6 Tutorial walkthrough maps for completely new players
                      6 Tips & tricks maps (more based on multiplayer strategies)
                     57 multiplayer maps are made ready for the game.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 01:25:38 AM »
A note to RubiX about the image quality: they currently look so sucky because afaik Lix uses pixel repetition do scale the image up to the resolution you set in the options. 640x480 is the native resolution of Lix, so if you set it to that, then the screenshots will look better, with the graphics not being distorted. Also, save in .png instead of .jpg to remove the jpeg-artefacts.

Then do one yourself. :P

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 01:33:28 AM »
Then do one yourself. :P

And be aware that it won't be distributed with the game due to copyright issues ;)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 01:56:49 AM »
Manners, Giga, manners.
Sorry bout that Underworlds exit looks scary  :scared:
Btw Can you still play as lemmings

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 02:15:33 AM »
Nope, you cannot play as actual lemmings anymore , that's the whole reason for Simon deciding to remake l++ into lix.  Removing all sprites, graphics, sounds etc, and remaking everything with nothing used from the lemmings games for copyright issues.   The only thing the same is the idea, its still lemmings :)

I thought it would actually feel very unlemming-like when Simon decided to do the sprites into the female character lix, but as soon as you start playing you honestly immediately forget you aren't even looking at lemmings anymore.  It's that good, so you can see right past the new character without even thinking about the changes.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 03:19:17 AM »
 :( Darn it Simon should make it so you could choose a charicter
Here First version of the texture pack
You're free to Modifiy it (Im not good at traps)
P.s. Where do you get L++

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 03:29:56 AM »
If you can chose your character, then original graphics would exist inside the download, which is making the whole copyright graphic remake pointless.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 03:33:44 AM »
Also, the difference between Daytime and Nighttime Sandy Beach is that Nighttime is a bit darker than Daytime is.  Nighttime also uses a different texture than Daytime does.

It's slightly more noticeable with the thumbnails, but I think the contrast is really not enough between the daytime and nighttime versions.  The nighttime versions I think needs to be much darker, and it may be helpful to include some stuff unique to daytime and nighttime versions (eg. sun for daytime, moon for nighttime, maybe a bonfire for nighttime, etc.)  It may also help if Lix can support background graphics, or at least different background colors.  (Maybe it does already, I don't know.)

I think I'm just spoiled by the graphics in Clones. ;P

I thought it would actually feel very unlemming-like when Simon decided to do the sprites into the female character lix

Funny you mention that, I didn't even realize it is female until you said so here! :P  Just thought it was boy with longish hair.  (To be fair, it's practically impossible to depict gender meaningfully with such small sprites.  There's something to be said anyway for it to look gender-neutral.) :D

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 03:42:30 AM »
Yea CC, we have had the discussion in irc about backgrounds, which Simon wants to add to the editor later, to pick your 'sky' color when building.

As for daytime sand, there is a sun graphic decoration in that tileset, I still need to tweak a lot of my maps for things like that etc.
I like the idea for a bonfire for night-time sand though, I'll pass that along to Matt right now.

The lix spriting is bloody marvelous, you'd think it was done by DMA themselves.  Simon is quite the pixel artist lol.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 04:26:52 AM »
P.s.#2 Can you Change the png files into Bitmats