Author Topic: The Level Design Game: 2nd Edition!  (Read 33872 times)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
Re: The Level Design Game: 2nd Edition!
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2011, 04:05:33 PM »
Open floor because I can't think of a challenge at all.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2011, 10:11:25 PM »
Now that I think of it, that might have been what I had.<snip>

Well, to add to the confusion, CD-ROM is one form WinLemm was made available as.  I think I might even own such a CD-ROM in a collection I acquire.  However, AFAIK the WinLemm CD-ROM is strictly files-only, and contains no CD audio tracks (ie. tracks you can actually play on a CD player outside of a computer), and WinLemm only uses MIDI for its music AFAIK.  So it's not the CD version I'm thinking of that CustLemm allegedly came from.  [Of course, who knows if they might be another version of WinLemm out there that does do CD audio track music?]

I believe DragonsLover from one of the older Lemmings forums had stated that he has the CD version I'm thinking of, which I think runs on DOS (not Windows) and actually uses the CD's audio tracks for the music.  Unfortunately I don't know if there was ever any detailed information posted on that forum on how that version is made available.  I imagine it's something along the lines of Covox Lemmings but who knows.
I just found a walkthrough for DOS Lemmings that explicitly notes that if one has the CD version, We all fall down is easy to complete because you just crank up the release rate before they enter the level. I think that should put paid to the question, at least that it's not from a promotional version. It doesn't really answer why it happened, of course.

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
...Actually, I'm pretty sure I had a Windows version with a level select menu, so I could skip levels. Does Winlemm have that?
IIRC, it has a level select menu (instead of passwords), but you have to unlock the levels as normal.
That's not the version I had, then, unless something broke or my father did something. (I wouldn't be surprised either way.)

[Of course, who knows if they might be another version of WinLemm out there that does do CD audio track music?]
It may very well be that I got WinLemm separately from the CD. (If I can find the CD and it's not irreparably scratched, I'll post some information and see if I can rip it.)

The version I had also had ONML, so if Custlemm came from a CD version of ONML, it's probably at least something related to the version I have.

(also, finlay, since I'm a raging linguistics nerd: Varg Vikernes does the capital You thing, and his native language is Norwegian. I'm not even sure if he speaks German)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »

(also, finlay, since I'm a raging linguistics nerd: Varg Vikernes does the capital You thing, and his native language is Norwegian. I'm not even sure if he speaks German)
see point 1 - probably generalising from capitalised "I". or learning English from the Bible or something...