Author Topic: Wiki  (Read 13264 times)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Re: Wiki
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2011, 02:04:32 AM »
Finished all the Crazy levels (except, again, the pictures of the levels, which i haven't bothered with yet.)

Offline Scott5114

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »
What's the best way to let an admin know about spam pages that need to be deleted? I would create a {{delete}} tag that would categorize them for someone to look at eventually, but if there's another way the admins would prefer that it be done...

As for how to prevent it the easiest way is to probably disallow editing without an account. That way spam accounts can be easily blocked when detected. The trick then is to keep up on recent change patrolling so that reverting spammers is done quickly. One would hope if they don't have their stuff left up for very long, they'll go find an easier target...

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2012, 11:44:03 PM »
Uh oh, the wiki is looking somewhat less than healthy just lately... Thanks for bringing my attention to this.

There's no need to alert admins to spam pages - it's easy enough to find these through the Recent Changes list. The problem is, there are so many spam pages, and they roll in so fast, that it's impractical to delete (or even tag) them all one by one. I kinda hope there's some way to revert the entire wiki to an earlier date - say, mid-December, when the last actual edits were made.

Disabling edits without accounts won't help much, a lot of the spammers create an account before spamming. What you could do is allow account creation by permission only, or to forum members only (note that wiki accounts are distinct from forum accounts). AFAIK only Adam is able to make changes like this though. And even if I'm technically permitted to, I have no idea how :-\ (and I don't know if Adam knows how either :-\ :-\). Unfortunately, Adam hasn't posted here in ages, so I don't know what he's up to, or even if he's still interested in the wiki.

Whatever we decide to do, something needs to be done about this ASAP. It's only going to get worse otherwise :(.

tl,dr: Close the wiki. (That worked last time, right? :P)

:spam:

Offline Scott5114

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
Well, if there's any way I can help, just ask. I'm an admin at Wikipedia so I might be able to help with getting stuff cleaned up (I seem to have reached the edit threshold that grants the "undo" button already so I'm making liberal use of that). I don't know how much time I can devote to another wiki, but I might be able to assist in some way.

Offline Scott5114

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 07:57:23 PM »
If there is an active wiki admin around, could they possibly set the pages [[Template:Browse top]], [[Template:Browse]], [[Template:Browse2]], and [[Template:Browse bottom]] as protected? If any of these pages get replaced with spam—and they do—that spam propagates to every level page on the wiki. Might also set the Main Page as protected, as there's very little reason to change that often and it's a fairly obvious target for spam/vandalism.