Author Topic: Sprite request! Lemmings 3  (Read 2353 times)

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
Sprite request! Lemmings 3
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:04:41 PM »
Hey,

Does anyone have the separate sprites for the Classic tribe Lemming out of
All New World of Lemmings? It'd be much appreciated.

If they're already up somewhere, my Google-fu is failing me.

Jason
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Sprite request! Lemmings 3
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:16:44 AM »
Unfortunately if you don't find anything in Google, it looks like the answer is "no".  I think the "documentation" section here more or less represents the current sum of knowledge regarding extraction of level and graphics data from the Lemming games, and while there's something for Lemmings 3 levels, there appears to be nothing for sprites or graphics.

Any chance you can get what you want using the existing levels and a whole lotta screenshots in DOSBox?  Tedious I know, but that may be your only option for now.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:56:29 AM »
That appears to be so. I'm going one by one with a DOSBox video capture. It captures nicely enough.

And QuickTime Player can export a video to an image sequence, so that'll be useful.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 05:31:12 AM »
I decoded more than enough of the image formats to make a simple level editor (lots of missing features, so only one person ever made anything with it).  You might be able to get someone to put together a sprite dumper based on what's there.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:12:33 AM »
I decoded more than enough of the image formats to make a simple level editor (lots of missing features, so only one person ever made anything with it).  You might be able to get someone to put together a sprite dumper based on what's there.

The URL links to a blank page.  I guess you could say there're indeed lots of missing features :P (j/k).

Any chance you can document some of your knowledge of image formats?  I actually remember the fact that there's lem3edit, but never having used it (I haven't even played the official levels yet), hearing that it has lots of missing features, and not finding any documentation on image formats, I didn't know for sure whether it can even display the level, so I didn't mention it.

It probably also won't help if Jason's looking for things like animation frames, especially for things like the actual lemmings themselves.  But at least it'll be easier to get the graphics for all terrain pieces (say) with just a few screenshots and a single specially edited level.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 04:56:11 AM »
The URL links to a blank page.  I guess you could say there're indeed lots of missing features :P (j/k).
Edited the link; hopefully this one's not blank.  Actually the lem3edit code in the repository is missing a few essential level-editing features that a previous version had since I reworked a bunch of the code.  You can drag and drop pieces around the level, but that's about all there is.

Any chance you can document some of your knowledge of image formats?  I actually remember the fact that there's lem3edit, but never having used it (I haven't even played the official levels yet), hearing that it has lots of missing features, and not finding any documentation on image formats, I didn't know for sure whether it can even display the level, so I didn't mention it.
I know it's lame, but I'm going to have to claim the code as my documentation. <_<  It's been so long since I've worked on it, I remember next to nothing about the formats.  It should be pretty clear where the code to load the different formats is if you happen to want to take a stab at it.

It probably also won't help if Jason's looking for things like animation frames, especially for things like the actual lemmings themselves.  But at least it'll be easier to get the graphics for all terrain pieces (say) with just a few screenshots and a single specially edited level.
The lemming animation frames should be among the formats I reverse-engineered. (Recall the ninja lemming seppuku avatar I had a while back.)

Perhaps I can hack together a dumper quick.  We'll see.
Edit:  Here's some of the Lemmings 3 tribe graphics.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 01:18:18 AM »
How very awesome. :)