Author Topic: Favorite Level  (Read 14002 times)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
Re: Favorite Level
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 01:06:37 AM »
From classic Lemmings:

1. And then there were four....
2. It's hero time!
3. Save Me
4. Upsidedown World
5. Postcard from Lemmingland
6. From the Boundary Line
7. Cascade

(5 and 6 are from my childhood days when these were insanely difficult)

And this is obligatory since people don't seem to like it very much:

8. I have a cunning plan

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 01:51:13 AM »
You remind me of myself a lot, Shvegait...... did you see that I included Postcard on my list for exactly the same reason?

Tell me, how did you solve it in the end? The normal way, or did you climb the step, dig half of it and bash, etc.? I think us children tend to have more convoluted minds than the grown-ups...........

Hell, I thought 16 Fun (can't remember the title) was impossible the first time I saw it. Build across to the next pillar? Sure. And then how the hell do you get UP the crazy thing?!?

Oh, and for all those who like It's Hero Time for its lovely 1 of each skill thing, I've done a Cheapo level with the same feature, but it's EVEN HARDER to work out the solution. E-mail me (zarathustra47@yahoo.com) if you would like me to send it to you!

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 02:06:46 AM »
Please tell me it's not either 3 diggers, or 1 of each without climbers floaters and stoppers.  I was planning to do those at some point!

Oh well whatever.  ;) There'll always be something else to come up with.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 02:18:19 AM »
I did the climb/dig/bash raise release rate to 99 trick :D

Back in the day, I remember playing through Fun and Tricky and never being able to get far in Taxing or Mayhem, but I was sure that we beat all of Tricky at least. See, it wasn't just me playing, but also my brother and sisters (all older) who played, but even then they were not that old (though my brother is 12 years older than I am). So I sort of "remembered" the solution from long ago when I recently replayed it. Not the ins and outs, but the jist anyway, so naturally I did the climb/dig/bash to pass Postcard.

But that's not all, I used that same very trick to pass From the Boundary Line :P (I have no idea how we did it the first time though)

Funny how these two levels have such very similar solutions...

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 04:30:33 AM »
Quote from: guest  link=1096179119/15#17 date=1101866806
Please tell me it's not either 3 diggers, or 1 of each without climbers floaters and stoppers. &#A0;I was planning to do those at some point!

Oh never mind, it sounds like you're simply talking about other levels that uses 1 of each.  I was thinking you have harder versions of that exact original Lemmings level with fewer/different skills.

I've actually seen quite a number of lemedit and possibly Cheapo levels that uses 1 of each skill, enough that it no longer seems special anymore.  (That of course doesn't mean they're not fun to play, just that the concept isn't such a big deal anymore.)

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2004, 10:01:57 AM »
Ok, favorites.  I guess basically anything that isn't the run-of-the-mill "hold back the crowd, let a trailblazer does the rest, release the crowd" level.  ;P  There are actually a good number of these levels now that I look back.

"It's Hero Time!" -- who doesn't like the "1 of each" concept when they first see it?  I guess it's sorta a "hold back the crowd..." type level in a way, but the solution's elegant in a way.

"Postcard...." -- same deal.

"Heaven Can Wait..." -- a nice simple example of "the pit" technique.  Due to the order I played the levels, this is the first level where I discovered the technique, and that technique quickly prompted me to replay many of the earlier fun and tricky levels for 100%.

"It's Lemmingentry Watson" -- another "elegant solution" level

"Compression..." -- neat idea, although I must concede that I think I might've sought outside help for this one.

"Poles Apart..." -- interesting concept

"No Added Color or Lemmings" -- Another level with a neat solution.  This one took me a while since I didn't know yet at the time that you can release stoppers.  I did eventually figure you need to use the stopper, and somewhat accidentally found out the secret when I was merely mucking around with the idea with using a mine + bash tunnel going underneath the blocker to release the crowd.

"Down, Along, Up..." -- I have to admit this can be kinda a pain at times, but it's kinda neat.  Another one where I remember stumbling upon the right way to do it by accident, when the stopper was merely a desperate attempt to hold back a disaster and I built the "wrong way" accidentally...only to see the stopper did its magic.

"The Great Lemmings Caper" -- Anything with 2 lemmings is interesting since it's guaranteed not to be the run of the mill "hold back the crowd" thing.

"Mind the Step" -- the only one Lemming level.  Though I have to say it's rather tedious to actually complete.

"Just a Minute..." and "Just a Minute Part 2" -- actually these eventually ended up being levels that kind of disappointed me, when I realize from other people's solutions that you don't need any cleverness to squeeze in enough time.  You won't believe the weird stuff I did in this one in an effort to buy extra time that I thought you need (like send a climber up and ahead to dig then try to bash part of the right end before the basher from the left gets there).  I think this could've been more interesting if they were more careful about making the solution less straightforward.

"Lost Something?" -- just kinda humorous.  Did took forever mucking around for the exit though.  I can't remember if I eventually sought outside help on this.

"King of the Castle" -- I just liked the idea that you have to do everything you need in this level using builders, and only 20 at that.  When you first look at it you're like, whoa, only 20 builders?  But after a good number of attempts it's no longer too hard.

----------------------

I also like the 4 "special graphics" level, but only for the graphics and alternative music.  The puzzles themselves are as run-of-the-mill as you can get.

I did like "Not as complicated as it looks" for the witty idea.  It's stupid puzzle-wise but you have to admit the concept fits in the "Fun" series very well.

"Steel Works" was kinda nice, at least in terms of the setup work you need to create a safe landing place [ignoring the fact I later found out from others you can merely just start building right at the landing spot to get the job done].  The rest of the level is quite tedious though.

"Going Up..." -- I just like its concept of having to take a route up on the ceiling.

That's all folks I think.  I never had "Oh No" until recently but the "Oh No" levels do sound interesting.  "Save Me" isn't on the list because it was the only level in the original set I kind of never complete until much later (somehow I never figured out the concept of "stoppers on bridges" on my own, and I think at that point back then I was too eager to get to the end so I just went online for a password to skip to the next).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 12:46:37 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1096179119/15#19 date=1101875433
I've actually seen quite a number of lemedit and possibly Cheapo levels that uses 1 of each skill, enough that it no longer seems special anymore.  (That of course doesn't mean they're not fun to play, just that the concept isn't such a big deal anymore.)

I've seen some, such as the one in Lemmings Plus -- but that's a bad example, as it's really easy and you only need two of the skills! My level really is as special as the original It's Hero Time: it requires all the skills except the bomber and blocker (as you need 100%), each one must be used in the right place (you can't swap the digger and miner around, for instance), the solution is unique and very hard to find. Are you sure you don't want to see it? You seem to be prejudging without having given it a chance.

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2004, 09:41:21 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound disparaging to your level.  I'm not saying that 1-of-each levels are bad, just that the concept has lost some of its novelty that's all.  There're of course still plenty of good puzzles you can build around that concept and I'm sure yours is one of them.  And as I've pointed out, at least on the PC version as tested, even the Lemmings classic is not strictly 1-of-each, since it's possible (but harder) to skip the climber and floater.

WellHowdyThere

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004, 10:25:04 PM »
duhhh...ok

-Not as Complicated as it Looks
-Keep Your Hair On Mr. Lemming
-Nightmare on Lem Street (because of the 2 lemmings thing)
-A Beast of a Level
-Careless Clicking Costs Lives (nice landscape)
-MEANCING!
-One Way Digging for Freedom (i have no idea why but i'br always loved this level)
-Tightrope City(short sweet and to the point)
-Lost Something? (took me forever)
-The Island of the Wicker People (GREAT title)
-Rainbow Island
-Lend a Helping Hand
-What an AWESOME Level
-Upsidedown World
-Take a Running Jump
-Call in the Bomb Squad!
-Pillars of Hurcules (good design)
-The Far Side (it would be a crime not to put this here)
-Pea Soup
-A Beast of a Level 2
-Going Up
-Save Me
-Lemming Express
-No Problemming!
-Lemming Head
-Chill Out!
-LoTs moRe wHeRe TheY caMe fRom
-Flow Control (a good iea)
-Welcome to the Party, Pal!

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2004, 11:28:05 PM »
Quote from: WellHowdyThere  link=1096179119/15#23 date=1101939904
-The Far Side (it would be a crime not to put this here)

LOL, okay when you put it this way, I have no choice but to check out the level again just in case memory didn't elude me.

But nope, my assessment hasn't changed.  Okay, I guess it's a decent visual concept, but there's no puzzle to this level (which probably explains why I couldn't remember it off top of my head by name).  At the very least that level doesn't really belong in Mayhem IMHO, Taxing is a better fit, maybe even a late Tricky.

[I do want to clarify that just because a level isn't a favorite doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.  It does mean that it got so blended in with the rest of my neither-favorite-nor-hate levels, I am unable to remember them in any distinct form.]

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2004, 12:07:18 AM »
I agree that The Far Side is not as special as many have said (but of course everyone is entitled to their opinion!)

The only difficult thing about the level is the time limit, that's it! The level is quite straightforward.

The design is good and compact, though, but since it's just another one of those "send one lemming to do all the chores" type levels, it's not very interesting to me.

I know this is not the thread to bash levels, but it's hard to see why it gets its own pedestal.

Maybe I'm just bitter because one time I lost it by 1 second ;)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2004, 10:37:55 PM »
The Far Side is an interesting concept. One of my favorite dirt style levels (Behind And then there wee Four), although I'm not a big fan of the dirt style.

I'm a big fan of One-of-each-skill levels. I think I've made about ... 2 dozen of them, although only 4 or so require all 8 tasks. If any of you have played my level "Watch Ye Step!" (LE, ISteve01.dat level 8) -- it's probably my favorite one of each task level I made.

It'd be a while to me to post my favorite levels of Lemmings and ONML.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2004, 01:08:51 AM »
I just finished playing "Watch Ye Step!", it's got quite an interesting solution :)

It didn't take too long to figure out, but that's probably because it doesn't really have fake/trap routes, but it's definitely an awesome "hero time" level, and not exactly the easiest to pull off...

Edit: I just looked at your solution for the level, and I did something slightly different, but with the same general concept. I'm not sure if it's easier or harder to pull off, probably about the same or just slightly easier...

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2004, 02:40:06 AM »
I didn't think there were other ways to pass this one. Can you explain (via PM) how you did it?
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2004, 08:59:34 AM »
When it comes to Lemmings, my motto is "there's always one more solution than you think".

I'll e-mail you an alternative solution which works, but only because you are rather generous with the %-to-save.  It's definitely a bit easier.  I also have a rough guess (and likely an incorrect one, given my own saying above) what Shvegait did.  And then there's one which again results from your generosity, but I didn't bother to verify, and probably won't usually work unless you're lucky.