Author Topic: Lemmings Update (PlayStation 3)  (Read 12054 times)

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Update (PlayStation 3)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 04:16:14 PM »
Thanks. I'll still not read the hints just yet, but at least that's one red herring I can ignore.

Anyway, I just managed lose 0 on Mayhem 5! My original method worked but it took quite a bit of fiddling to save the extra frames I needed. My time was much slower than the ones at the top of the leaderboard so I guess there must be a different way to do it, but I can't say I care much. ;)

I'll edit in my solution in a bit.

Quote from: Spoiler
1. Pause and set release rate to 30.
2. 2nd lem climbs.
3. When 3rd lem exits, pause and set release rate to 1.
4. Climber builds as close to the left edge as possible. Block as soon as 4th brick is laid (needs to be standing on 4th brick).
5. 4th lem climbs, turns and builds on lowest brick. Hopefully the 6th lem won't fall in the pit.
6. 6th and 8th lems build over the trap.
7. Set release rate to 99.
8. 4th lem climbs out of the left pit and floats. Build up to the terrain block on the right.
9. Build again about 1/3rd of the way from the left of the block. Continue building into the wall and build again as soon as you're facing left.
10. Build all the way up. He'll turn, so build into the wall again to turn back to the left.
11. Climb and bash to free the blocker. Dig from the left pit, and use the freed blocker to build to the exit.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 09:19:56 PM »
I've done it!  :D

I found a Lose 1 solution and worked from there. Very clever solution, especially the crowd control. A pain to pull off but certainly satisfying to complete.

That's me done with the game now. Just for the record, here are all the levels where lemmings are lost:

Trial 3: Lose 5
Trial 5: Lose 2

Fun 3: Lose 2
Fun 9: Lose 1

Tricky 4: Lose 1

Taxing 3: Lose 2
Taxing 6: Lose 2
Taxing 9: Lose 1

Mayhem 4: Lose 2

TOTAL: Lose 18

EDIT: Taxing 9 improved.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 11:10:21 PM »
Nice one, I knew you could do it. :D

Meanwhile, I just worked out how the Lose 2 solution works in Taxing 6. Also, i've just ranked #1 on Taxing 7, the first time i've topped the leaderboards on a level.  :o
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »
Congrats. I was top of Mayhem 4 until yourself and that other guy decided to knock me off. :(

Taxing 6 is one of a couple of levels where the maximum is limited only by the number of floaters you have. Very irritating. I thought I'd found a Lose 1 solution but sadly the exit is placed a few pixels further right than I needed it to be.

Offline AlgoTomar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 09:39:47 PM »
I was quite pleased to find the save 8 solution to Mayhem 4, becoming only the second person on the leaderboards to have done so. I'm surprised it's not been found by more people since it's much easier than the above levels.

Can you give me a clue?  I have to use all 3 blockers so saving 7 is the best I have done.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 12:39:43 AM »
Hey, just seen your email. I've not been on here much recently so didn't see your post. :)

Quote from: Spoiler 1
You do indeed need 3 blockers.

Quote from: Spoiler 2
See if you can find a way to release one of them.

Quote from: Spoiler 3
Bombers are useful.

Quote from: Spoiler 4
You're probably putting one of the top ones in the wrong place.

Quote from: BIG SPOILER
Put the first two blockers next to each other below the trapdoor. They need to be far enough apart to trap the crowd, but close enough that bombing one will release the other. You need to dig in a very precise place to stop the lems from splatting when they drop down. I think it's towards the right hand side of the round object sticking out of the ground. You should end up with an overhang when the digger falls through. You'll need to experiment a bit to get the digger and blockers in the right places.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Offline Frevett

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 07:35:01 PM »
Trial 3: Lose 5
Trial 5: Lose 2

Fun 3: Lose 2
Fun 9: Lose 1

Tricky 4: Lose 1

Taxing 3: Lose 2
Taxing 6: Lose 2
Taxing 9: Lose 2

Mayhem 4: Lose 2

TOTAL: Lose 19

Just so you know, it's possible to only lose 1 lemming on Taxing 9. I'm guessing no-one had done it when you posted this, as as of a few days ago, there were only 4 of us with 9/10.

I'm stuck with two 7/10 solutions on Mayhem 4; and two 99/100 solutions on Mayhem 5 (one of which is a fraction of a second away from being 100/100; I guess there's somewhere I can shave off time at the start that I'm missing)

Now for the question I registered to ask: does anyone know of any planned DLC for this game? It's been a while now, and some extra levels would be welcome (as would a level creator); but I can't find anything on any of the developers' websites.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 09:07:38 PM »
Thanks for that. I remember having an idea for Taxing 9 but I couldn't get it to work and assumed it wasn't possible since as you say no-one had done it at the time. I'll have to have another go.

When the trophy patch was announced it was implied that there would be DLC, but I've not seen anything since. The patch was done by Cohort Studios rather than Team17 but there's nothing new on their site either. Hopefully there is something coming still.

I'd be interested to know what you're doing on Mayhem 5. I've saved 100% but my solution was nowhere near the times at the top of the leaderboard so there must be another method.

Offline Frevett

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 10:14:01 PM »
Thanks for that. I remember having an idea for Taxing 9 but I couldn't get it to work and assumed it wasn't possible since as you say no-one had done it at the time. I'll have to have another go.

When the trophy patch was announced it was implied that there would be DLC, but I've not seen anything since. The patch was done by Cohort Studios rather than Team17 but there's nothing new on their site either. Hopefully there is something coming still.

I'd be interested to know what you're doing on Mayhem 5. I've saved 100% but my solution was nowhere near the times at the top of the leaderboard so there must be another method.

Wasn't aware that Cohort Studios had done the patch, thanks for that.

Quote from: Mayhem 5
First lemming to fall into the right hand side climbs up and bridges immediately - bridging 4 steps then blocking. Second lemming into the right climbs up and bridges the gap the lemmings drop through. Third lemming into the right drops through into the compartment just before the bridge piece can be placed blocking him. If you block the first lemming on the third step it doesn't seem possible to free him with a basher. If I could keep the third lemming out of the compartment they can all go into the left compartment and dig down.

I was stuck for ages trying to bridge the lemmings out of one compartment rather than stopping them entering entirely. I managed to bridge them out of the left compartment and into the right one, but was left with two bridges too few for the last part unfortunately

I've pretty much given up trying to get close to matching the fastest times on most levels, some of them are insane.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 11:15:22 PM »
Cheers. No direct hints, but spoilered just in case.

Quote from: Mayhem 5
That top method looks familiar. ;)

It's quite fun trying to find different solutions for the leaderboards but some of them are indeed insane.

Offline Frevett

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »
I have a similar problem on Mayhem 4 as well. The second lemming enters the level too quickly and escapes the pit my first lemming's digging.

I have a 47/50 method on Mayhem 10 which takes around 70 seconds. I'm guessing the people at the top of the leaderboards have a variation on that. With an extra basher and a bit of luck I could do it.

I've also just found a fairly interesting second solution on Mayhem 9 which puts me about 30 seconds outside the top 5. With a bit of playing around with timings and release rates I reckon I could improve it enough.

Offline AlgoTomar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2010, 12:34:58 PM »
Glad to see there is still some interest in this game.  Thanks to Fleech and Pooty for helping me with the Save 8 Solution to Mayhem 4.

I am still not convinced that some of the top times on the leaderboards are really possible.  I have 3 theories:

1) The top times are by the game's developers who know how to exploit subtle intracacies of the game's mechanics to do those seemingly impossible times.

2) Someone figured out a way to cheat.

3) Some people are just way better at Lemmings than me.

I believe there are separate leaderboards for the US, EU, and JPN versions of this game.  Can anyone confirm?  I am playing the US version and I am ranked 5th on Mayhem 10 with all 50 lemming saved in 1:56.38. 

Completing this level in 70 seconds or under would require all lemmings to use the teleporter.  I have an idea of how to do this, but I can't actually do it.  A steel-digging glitch may be required to actually pull it off.

Yeah, I wish their was some DLC coming for this game, but I sort of doubt it.

Offline AlgoTomar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2010, 12:41:21 PM »
Just so you know, it's possible to only lose 1 lemming on Taxing 9. I'm guessing no-one had done it when you posted this, as as of a few days ago, there were only 4 of us with 9/10.

There is also a Save 5 Solution to Mayhem 3 which is technically Lose -1 since you start with 4 lemmings.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »
Yeah the Lose X numbers are based on the total lems including cloned ones. :)

I've just checked the Mayhem 10 EU leaderboards and fifth place has a time of 1:16.14 so they are seperate for each region.

I do wonder if there's a steel glitch, especially with Mayhem 5. I'm 11th but 5th is five minutes faster and even if I maxed my solution it would be nowhere near that time.

Frevett, if you just want 100% on Mayhem 10 then ignore the leaderboards for now. There's a slower but much easier method. Mayhem 4 is interesting and uses some ideas that are quite obscure. No glitches, but you need to be creative with the skills.

Offline Frevett

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »
Yeah the Lose X numbers are based on the total lems including cloned ones. :)

I've just checked the Mayhem 10 EU leaderboards and fifth place has a time of 1:16.14 so they are seperate for each region.

That's kind of a shame, would like to see the top scores on a global level.

Managed to squeeze my way into the top 5 on Mayhem 9 (EU) with 4:13:56: half a second behind 4th. Still half a minute behind pioneer-mk6-100 at the top (if that guy's legit he's incredible (along with kgb555) dominating so many of the leaderboards). Reckon I can get 4th place, but I think a different method's needed to break the top 3.

I do wonder if there's a steel glitch, especially with Mayhem 5. I'm 11th but 5th is five minutes faster and even if I maxed my solution it would be nowhere near that time.

If you set the first lemming in that level to dig immediately, then the next lemming (in the right compartment) to climb out and start bridging to the exit; it takes roughly 2 minutes for the lemmings that are getting dug down to get to the exit (including the ones that head left once they drop to the bottom level). So to break the top 5 legitly you can't dig all the way down.
The only other feasible option I can see is to use the basher to get out when the digger is halfway down, but I see no way of getting all lemmings into one compartment without using the basher.

Mayhem 7 looks interesting with the top 3 half a minute ahead of 4th/5th. I'm just under a minute behind the 1:27 in first place, but I don't think my solution was what the designers intended.

The top 5 of Fun 6 can definitely be broken into legitimately. I was trying earlier but kept getting the timings wrong and having one lemming walk the wrong way at the end.

Frevett, if you just want 100% on Mayhem 10 then ignore the leaderboards for now. There's a slower but much easier method. Mayhem 4 is interesting and uses some ideas that are quite obscure. No glitches, but you need to be creative with the skills.

Yeah, I have 100% on Mayhem 10, with two different solutions:
Quote from: Mayhem 10
One with the main body of lemmings walking across the top all the way, and one with them getting turned back and heading through the portal

In Mayhem 4 I can
Quote from: Mayhem 4
dig through the first platform and leave a step for lemmings not to die of height and then get the two blockers close enough together so that one can free the others. Utterly stumped on how to stop lemming 2 escaping the digger though.
Taken a break from it while I have a look at the highscores on other levels.

Completing this level in 70 seconds or under would require all lemmings to use the teleporter.  I have an idea of how to do this, but I can't actually do it.  A steel-digging glitch may be required to actually pull it off.

I've managed about 47 of them in 70 seconds, but haven't made any progress from that. I need a basher to free the blocker I use and another basher to stop a digger digging himself to death, which is obviously one too many.