Author Topic: Lemmings Update (PlayStation 3)  (Read 12057 times)

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
Lemmings Update (PlayStation 3)
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:11:20 PM »
This game has just recieved a large update. Well.. large as in file size, as far as i'm aware. Just over 220MB, the game is now version 2.0. It now has trophy support, and your old file save is disabled (your high scores on the leaderboards are safe, however). Apart from that, I haven't noticed anything different about this game. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. If you find anything different, please post it on this thread. I'll update this post if we find anything more.

New features
  • Trophy support
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Update (PlayStation 3)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:14:30 PM »
The trophies are:

Lemmie See Some Speed - Bronze Trophy
Complete Teach me Climbers and Floaters in under one minute

Lemmie See Speed - Bronze Trophy
Beat 3rd Time Lucky in under 1minute 30 seconds

Fabulously Fun - Bronze Trophy
Complete all Fun levels

Tricky but not Taxing - Bronze Trophy
Complete all Tricky levels

The Ultimate Clone - Bronze Trophy
Make a clone that can float and climb

Bridge Builder - Bronze Trophy
Build 100 bridges

Can you dig it - Bronze Trophy
Set off 100 digger Lemmings

Lemming Exploder - Bronze Trophy
Blow up 100 Lemmings

Triumphantly Taxing - Silver Trophy
Complete all Taxing levels

Mayhem Master - Silver Trophy
Complete all Mayhem levels

Lethal Lemmings - Silver Trophy
Send 1000 Lemmings to their death

Lemming Leader - Gold Trophy
Save every Lemming possible
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:31:29 PM »
Don't have a PS3 but that does sound kinda cute, can you explain what exactly is the trophy support?

Does the game really needs a Playstation 3 (as opposed to PS1 or PS2)?  That's a bit expensive even for someone like me, and especially if Lemmings is the only game I'm likely to play on it.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:48:58 PM »
Are you familiar with Xbox 360 achievements? PlayStation trophies are pretty much the same thing. You are given a number of tasks to complete (usually 12 on a downloadable game such as Lemmings), and the reward is a trophy. Your PlayStation Network profile will be given "experience points" whenever you win a trophy (the better the trophy, the higher the experience), and you can level up. As far as I know, you can only use these trophies and levels for bragging rights (unless there's stuff you can do in Home, but I haven't installed that game). Both Xbox 360 achievements and PlayStation 3 trophies are designed to increase replay value.

And yep, you need a PlayStation 3 because the software is designed to run on that system. It's different to the Lemmings on PS2 and PSP. It has new levels, vertical levels as well as the standard horizontal, and skills you can pick up (like Lemmings 3, except collecting the skill will add it to your repository). The one thing this game is missing that would make it awesome is a level editor.
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:43:29 PM »
I'm downloading this as I type. When I first heard the news a while ago it was reported that some DLC is on the way as well, presumably new levels. Hopefully that's the case.

It's a fun version. It uses the eight classic skills but also uses the Lemmings 3 mechanic of being able to collect more of these in the level, as well as adding teleports and clone machines. If you have a PS3 then it's definitely worth picking up. There are only 45 levels, but it only costs £3.49!

I wonder if the the gold trophy description is accurate. It's going to be quite hard if it uses the actual maximum based on the current records, rather than the expected maximum excluding backroutes.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 04:23:28 PM »
It's very hard to gauge. For example, on Fun 6, you are expected to rescue four lemmings, my best score to date is eight (can be bumped up to 9 with better digger and builder placement), but according to the high score chart, all ten can be saved. Because my effort of 8 is in the top 200, it raises questions on what Team 17 think is the highest score per level, and there are no cues as to whether you have done enough on that level or not. It's pretty much safe to assume that if you have rescued the same number of lemmings as the person in first place (and s/he might have been using glitches to get there), you'll be fine.
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 03:07:03 PM »
I've had a look around a few forums and can't find anything definitive. I'm going through and only saving the required amount each time for now to see what happens. EDIT: I meant the maximum using the intended solution. EDIT: Argh, I've made a mistake here. Never mind then.

Have you tried for any fast times on the leaderboards Pooty? I don't know anyone that has the game so wouldn't mind having someone on here to compare to. My PSN is sb59, add me if you want but no worries if not. :)

(Just noticed that you'd already mentioned the Lemmings 3 comparison before I made my first post. Not sure how I missed that. :P)

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »
Last time I checked, I hit a top 5 score in one of the Tricky or Taxing levels. I can't remember which level it was. I wonder if it's still there. I'll check when I get home, and I'll also add you to my friends list while I do so. ;)

[Edit: Actually, it was Fun 07, and I am ranked 5th.]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »
I've found the following list (from ps3trophies.co.uk) which two people have confirmed to work for them. It's an odd mix of requirements that does not require the known maximum for all levels, but it does require backroute solutions to several. Of course it may not be completely accurate, but it's a start.

EDIT: removed list.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 08:19:22 PM »
I just got the gold trophy. One of my scores was different to the list above (which I'll remove shortly). Here's a shorter, updated list that only includes the levels where the trophy requirement seems to be different to the actual level requirement. Some may still be unnecessary.

TRIAL
2 - 5 Saved
3 - 5 Saved
4 - 5 Saved

FUN
3 - 8 Saved
6 - 8 Saved

TRICKY
(none)

TAXING
6 - 8 Saved
9 - 8 Saved

MAYHEM
(none)

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 02:00:35 PM »
It's very hard to gauge. For example, on Fun 6, you are expected to rescue four lemmings, my best score to date is eight (can be bumped up to 9 with better digger and builder placement), but according to the high score chart, all ten can be saved.

I've spent a lot of time on this level recently brainstorming with my brother, and there definitely seems to be a legitimate way of rescuing all ten lemmings, taking advantage of many subtle parts of the terrain. There's a lot to consider, I just can't piece them all together in one run, and my timing might be slightly out of whack as well. If this was Lemmix, it'd probably be done by now. :P

If I beat this level with all ten lemmings, I'll let the cat out of the bag.

[Edit: YES!! I've finally done it! :D]
Quote from: Spoiler for Fun 06
The first lemming that comes out is tasked with building in such a way, that not only does he block the way back to their doom, but he also creates a lip using the underside of the terrain next to the start. That would prevent the climbers from climbing up that obstacle (which would mean death). This requires 2 builders. When the notch is made, use one more builder to continue making your way up.

Meanwhile, the next four lemmings must be turned into climbers, and will climb up the wall on the right (to give the builder enough time to complete his job). All except the fourth climber are to be given floaters. This fourth climber will dig down to (and land on) the overhanging portrait. There is a "staircase" made of stone. On the bottom step, dig down about 5-6 pixels, then build. The lemming will bang his head, but the bridge will reach out just far enough to land on the platform below.

At this point, your other three climbers will be back at the bridge the first lemming built. Let the SECOND climber lemming that lands on the bridge build the next set of steps. When he has finished, let him go, and let a different lemming use one final builder. This should release the other lemmings, but it's possible you'll end up one pixel short, and have to start again. As the lemmings are released, make sure they all have floaters before they leave.

Now there is one last thing to do. The worker lemming (the fourth climber) should land on the platform below. Wait until he turns around, then make him dig. One of the climbing lemmings should catch up by this point. Build over the pit the lemming is making. The two purposes of this bridge is to make sure all the lemmings will face the right way when they fall down the pit, and the other purpose is that the digger does not have enough time to complete his pit before the lemmings climb all over it, and the bridge will prevent the lemmings from leaving the pit the wrong way (death). If everything is done right, all ten lemmings will be saved.

At the time of posting, i've scored 4th place on the leaderboards for this level.
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 11:16:55 AM »
Nice work! :thumbsup:

I think I'm getting closer to finding the save 10 solution, but I must be missing something important somewhere. I'll avoid reading the spoiler for now though.

That and Mayhem 5 are the only ones I haven't saved the known maximum on. The latter is annoying me. I've got a solution that in theory allows for 100%, but timing-wise I'm literally just a few frames away from making it work. It's making me wonder if my method is wrong, but I don't see any other way that it could be done.

I was quite pleased to find the save 8 solution to Mayhem 4, becoming only the second person on the leaderboards to have done so. I'm surprised it's not been found by more people since it's much easier than the above levels.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 03:02:08 PM »
Ah-ha! Yes, i've just worked out save 8 on Mayhem 4. That makes me the third person on the leaderboards to do so. :P

I've knocked you off your second spot on that level's leaderboards. Sorry about that.

I'm trying to work out Mayhem 5, but I can't even rescue 99 on it. :(
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 03:21:51 PM »
You're not sorry. :P

I've never saved anything less than 99 on Mayhem 5 so I guess I've been backrouting it all this time. What's most annoying about my failed lose 0 solution is that it would work easily on DOS. The only reason I'm having trouble with the timing is because the game won't let me select a certain skill in a certain place so I have to work around it. Frustrating.

With Fun 6, did your solution involve any steel digging?

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »
No, I didn't used any glitches in my solution. There are at least two pixel-perfect moments in it, and there are some bits and pieces in the level that are easy to overlook, but end up being vital.

If you're still stuck, i'll give you one or two clues.

Quote from: The skills I used
I used everything except the blockers, and one of the floaters.

Quote from: Scenery that mustn't be overlooked
The angled cut beneath the obstacle to the right of the start, the bump on the slope, the empty picture frame, and the stone "staircase" beneath it, are all essential.
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]