Author Topic: The level design game!  (Read 43607 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: The level design game!
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2009, 06:15:35 AM »
Wow, that was fast :P Do you want to set the next challenge?

I'm going to take the prolonged silence as a no ;)

I hope no one minds if I jump in now and post a challenge, in the interest of not letting this thread die. Here's one that I just thought up:

• One entrance
  • At least 50% required to pass
  • No release rate changes allowed. (In theory, this challenge should be possible without this rule, but the resulting levels would be extremely messy and the challenge would likely be less fun.)
  • In any solution to the level (subject to the above), the number of lemmings on the level (i.e. the number OUT) must reach at least 10, and then drop to zero, before any lemmings reach the exit.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2009, 06:24:25 AM »
Sounds pretty interesting. I'll think about it :)
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2009, 12:40:04 AM »
I actually got this level lying around for a few days now, in the hope to refine my new challenge and design a level for it, but I still didn't get around to do so, so perhaps I can use the time until this level is confirmed for that...

On a different note, did anyone have a go at my retreated challenge? Or shall I post my level?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2009, 03:29:29 AM »
You're playing with fire by trapping the lemmings directly above the exit (since I didn't say nuke routes are forbidden this time), but this level seems OK to me. I like the title too :)

Here's mine.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2009, 04:04:43 AM »
Can anyone please explain how do both of these levels work  :o

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2009, 04:15:19 AM »
I must be goin' wacko!  I decided to sign up for email notification so I can post a challenge whenever open floor rolls around!

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2009, 04:41:08 AM »
Can anyone please explain how do both of these levels work  :o

It would have been nice if you posted a solution with the level geoo.  ;) I trust you won't mind me posting one here (since finding solutions isn't the point of this game).

geoo's level:
Make the first two lemmings climb. The first one must dig from the dark brown pixel at the top of the crystal. Make the other climber a bomber when it falls from the ledge on the right.

My level:
Make the first lemming climb out. Turn it into a bomber when it steps on the bump in the terrain (the "reset button") on the way back. Perfect timing required, I'm afraid...

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2009, 04:46:19 AM »
Is the floor open?

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2009, 04:56:27 AM »
Is the floor open?

Looks like SOMEBODY has a challenge to share with the world  :D
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2009, 05:09:55 AM »
Design a level that can be beaten with 100% (but doesn't require it), can be beaten with the "push lemming into the wall and use a climber" trick AND has a longer route that can be used by those who don't know the trick.  No hidden traps! 

Make a VGAspecx.dat file using Shadow tribe terrain for extra credit!  At least, since a DOS version of Lemmings 2 was made, I assume it falls under the color limits.  If not, it still counts for the extra credit if the quality has to be downscaled a little.

Don't make the non-glitch one too hard to pull off once the player finds it!  My definition of "not too hard to pull off" is "doesn't require me to make pixel precise moves and doesn't make me try and get a lemming who is going the right direction in a crampt spacce.  If I can't solve for one or both ways, Clam Spammer, if he is willing, will check.  If he isn't, hopefully ccexplore is.  If neither is, we'll have to test it with the rest of the community.  That could mean less accurate results.  Oh well.

If my challenge isn't clear, let me know.  And the VGAspec is extra credit, NOT required!

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2009, 06:11:11 AM »
Whoa, hang on. The floor is NOT open right now. geoo just solved a challenge, so it's his decision as to whether or not the floor is open for anyone to post a challenge. On the other hand, if you can solve geoo's old challenge, then go right ahead ;)

As for the VGAspec thing, Paint Shop Pro tells me these use 15 colours, but if you cut out all the yellow and orange bits (which aren't essential) then you end up with 7 - which is few enough for a VGAspec.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2009, 11:16:03 AM »
I actually had some sort of challenge in mind, but I'm still not quite satisfied with it; with a new challenge already posted I'll just call open floor to solve both problems. So Dullstar's challenge is active now.
Seems like the 'longer route' is allowed to take no skills at all (unless 'long' is measured by skills used instead of time taken or pixel distance).

EDIT: ClamSpammer already described the solution to my level, but for your viewing pleasure (don't fall asleep! Yeah, the title fits, I somehow had it designed differently at first, and somehow the amount of lemmings out got up to 17) here it is:

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 12, 2009, 09:41:57 PM »
Oops, I didn't think of that.  The longer route should use SOME skills, but take longer than the blocker method.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2009, 10:14:52 PM »
Thanks Clam and geoo for the solutions ;)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2010, 04:10:43 AM »
Edited by Adam:
Please use the new topic for further challenges/discussion
Adam :)