Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER] [REJECTED] How should NeoLemmix load CustLemm packs?  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Status: Rejected. DAT packs do not provide much flexibility to the creator, and will eventually be phased out altogether. The workaround exists of loading them in the editor then using testplay mode for the very small number of existing DAT packs. Another workaround, at least until further physics changes occur, is to simply use V1.36n. Given all these factors, as well as that implementing support would require significant effort, I have decided against implementing support.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:08:01 AM by namida »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER] How should NeoLemmix load CustLemm packs?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 04:52:10 AM »
Currently, NeoLemmix can only load Flexi-created NXPs and single LVL files, but what about 10-level CustLemm DAT packs? Is there a way to also implement the ability to load them?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER] How should NeoLemmix load CustLemm packs?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 05:07:44 AM »
Ideally, I would like to discourage these. NXPs have the advantage of being able to contain everything a pack needs - the right graphic sets and music, any level layout / quantity the author wants, etc. On the other hand, DAT files have a very fixed structure and can only contain the levels themself. Eventually, I plan to drop the DAT format (as far as level packs go) altogether.

For existing packs, they can be loaded in the editor, and levels played via playtest mode. This does of course mean secret levels won't really work the way they're intended to, but it's not like NeoCustLemmix exactly provided great support for these - it was basically a kludgy workaround to allow those who didn't want to use Flexi (which was very complicated to use at the time, since these were pre-Flexi Toolkit days) to still include secret levels. This still meant they could only be accessed via secret level trigger (as NeoCustLemmix has zero talisman support, for obvious reasons), which is a method I discourage these days.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)