Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 169193 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2012, 05:31:36 PM »
Just been playing some of the levels from the current list.

Completed "Little Miner Puzzle (part 2)" but forgot to save a replay. I'm sure it's the intended solution. It took me a while to find, and it's a little tricky to avoid losing lemmings from the crowd, so I would rate this at least 1.5.

Haven't solved "Well OK Then" yet but this is clearly at least a 2.

I find only the presumably intended solution on "One Way Segment", so you can add that to the "B" rating.
Place a bridge in the starting area so that all lixes under the bridge are facing left, then send up a climber/floater, platform across the gap, dig to release the crowd, bash to the exit.

Replay for "It's a long way up" attached. Again I find only this solution.

Replay for "Tapestry" attached.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »
Replay for Insane Steve's "Rhapsody".

So I'm wondering, would you like me to remake "Rhapsody in Blue" for inclusion? It's a sequel I made to the Cheapo version of this level -- the essentials of the layout are mostly the same, except the four diagonal pillars are missing, and so is the top-right wall (so you have to think how you're going to make the climber turn round). There's 2 of each skill and you have to save 77/80, making the solution slightly different in a couple of places. I think it's a little bit harder than Insane Steve's level, but perhaps it is still too similar to be worth including?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2012, 08:32:19 PM »
I changed "Odd Jobs". I think its better. Tell me if it's significantly harder or not. Also I'm looking for a better name. 'Odd Jobs' is stolen from a Revolution title.

for another program related question: How come you can't make a blocker a climber or floater? You could do that in original couldn't you? Or maybe I forgot and that was just Revolution too.
Also sometimes when I try to replay the game crashes. And some replays say "game is too new".  ??? I don't think I mentioned this before.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2012, 08:41:13 PM »
Odd Jobs is definitely much better and harder now. Here's my solution.

There seems to be something a bit "off" with Lix's priority checking; on my first attempt at this solution, when I tried to change the [second-last skill used] to a [last skill used], one of the walkers was given the skill instead. That really shouldn't ever happen....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2012, 09:05:55 PM »
There seems to be something a bit "off" with Lix's priority checking; on my first attempt at this solution, when I tried to change the [second-last skill used] to a [last skill used], one of the walkers was given the skill instead. That really shouldn't ever happen....

What were the exact skills involved?

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2012, 09:53:18 PM »
Digger, then miner. Sorry, I was just trying to avoid revealing part of the solution to "Odd Jobs", but I guess it doesn't matter.

I also had a similar problem on "Rhapsody" -- I needed to make one lemming from the crowd both a climber and bomber, but in Lemmings climbers aren't prioritised for skill selection, so I guessed they might not be in Lix either. I first tried to solve the problem by assigning both skills to the basher, which as far as I know ought to work in Lemmings, but it didn't. (After a while I came up with the solution of giving the climber a bomber after he's separated himself so he explodes on the way down, as you can see in the replay.)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2012, 10:28:34 PM »
"Lemmings 2007" - Custom Level

is this person here? He has tons of levels and I'd love to remake some of them if that is allowed. I would give credit to them of course. Should I ask permission first? I don't know how to get in contact with them at all.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2012, 12:24:20 AM »
I modified 'Odd Job's a little to become 'Slippery Pete'. The lower right area is actually how I intended the first one but I wanted one way walls and couldn't think how to do it this way it until now.
I'd still like to keep 'Odd Jobs' as it is [for myself anyway].

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2012, 12:40:09 AM »
Slippery Pete replay:

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2012, 02:32:23 AM »
is this person here? He has tons of levels and I'd love to remake some of them if that is allowed. I would give credit to them of course. Should I ask permission first? I don't know how to get in contact with them at all.

Leave a commentary on youtube on his videos.  That should trigger an email alert to the email address associated with the uploader's account.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2012, 12:42:25 PM »
Replays attached for a further four of the current lixlfpack levels.

Alien Invasion, if the RR fiddling I needed to isolate two lemmings is indeed required, is definitely the hardest of the bunch, though Tribute to Benny Hill may wear out some players' patience ;)

I think the rating of 2.5 for A Towering Proposition is too high (maybe 2.3?) The trick is not easy to see, but with such limited skills there's only so much you can do.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »
Alien Invasion, if the RR fiddling I needed to isolate two lemmings is indeed required, is definitely the hardest of the bunch, though Tribute to Benny Hill may wear out some players' patience ;)

I think the rating of 2.5 for A Towering Proposition is too high (maybe 2.3?) The trick is not easy to see, but with such limited skills there's only so much you can do.
Thanks for the replays, but could you keep the filenames as they are on the list, makes things a bit easier for watching replays. You can also get the complete pack of levels (always synchronized with the list) here: https://github.com/geoo89/lixlfpack/zipball/gh-pages

The intended solution for Alien Invasion is different, and doesn't need any RR changing. I uploaded a new version to the list.
Haha, my solution to Tribute to Benny Hill only takes 10 minutes, and I managed to optimize it to 7:42 even. I think with FFF it doesn't take too long.
Yeah, I probably overrated A Towering Proposition. I remember having big trouble with Havoc 5 ages ago, and then it was in the last difficulty rating of Insane Steve's Cheapo pack, so that probably contributed to it.

Get Hype is a bit different from the intended solution, and somewhat easier by avoiding the main trick. I like the idea of having an easier version of it, but don't you think having to save 5 with 5 walkers available is a bit trivial? :P

For LIX, I rarely have difficulties with levels where you get plenty of skills and just need to be a bit crafty. Also immediately saw what to do, but it might be different for other players though, so I'm going to set the rating up to 2 for now. I'm definitely going to introduce the climber bomb trick in some difficulty 0 level, and perhaps also the basher/digger staircase, as they are some basic but very useful tools. Btw, the level can be done without the basher/digger trick, in fact, it's doable with 3 of each skill. Replay attached. EDIT: Fixed. Think I moved the replay out of the folder before posting.
Also took your ratings for the other levels into account. There's not many things to try out in Well OK Then, and I agree it looks impossible at first glance. Though you might have trouble with it as it uses some quirks that just aren't possible with the original skillset.

I'm surprised you're having trouble with the assignments, as diggers and climbers do have priority over walkers. Are you sure you're not inadvertedly holding the mouse button that inverts priority, or directional select, or something like this?
At the bottom panel you'll also see what has currently priority.

So I'm wondering, would you like me to remake "Rhapsody in Blue" for inclusion? It's a sequel I made to the Cheapo version of this level -- the essentials of the layout are mostly the same, except the four diagonal pillars are missing, and so is the top-right wall (so you have to think how you're going to make the climber turn round). There's 2 of each skill and you have to save 77/80, making the solution slightly different in a couple of places. I think it's a little bit harder than Insane Steve's level, but perhaps it is still too similar to be worth including?
Yeah, I know the Cheapo version of it. I'd love to see this one, I think it's a really nice twist on the original.

I still haven't got very far with these, but the reason I ask now is that I just noticed Rubix's "Nightmare" set contains (Level 7) a level also based on Fun 10, also in the Underworld style, with a similar solution to mine -- except much easier. Even if it weren't for the duplication with my level, I would definitely recommend changing this, because there's no way that belongs in "Nightmare".
Well, you'd have to ask RubiX if he wants to update or move this level or whatever. I can drop him a note if you want.

Come on down to my place: That's the correct solution using the right L.

Rumble to the bottom: First solution is intended. I may modify it to remove the other.
Ok, found also a solution using the other L. :)
As for Rumble to the bottom, I actually kinda expected the second one to be intended, as the first one is extremely close with the fall distance. My solution is only 1 brick away from splat height, and if you're unlucky because you start bashing a little too high, or the basher leaves a little piece of terrain at the end of the tunnel, you'll have to retry.
I'll look for the western route of Close to the Edge sometime.

I put the new levels onto the list anyway, you can still update them.
Also Slippery Pete on the list now, it's a nice level solution wise; though again, the rocks floating around or the one plank at the bottom not aligned with the rest look a bit strange.

-That's probably because I created 'transmigration' in Lemmix and tested it the long way there and never actually did it in Lix. Is it just me or are their some minor speed differences?
Do you think a time limit forcing multi-task would make it significantly harder? If not than I'll leave it the way it is.
Talked with Simon about it yesterday, and we decided to remove the time limit altogether. It doesn't really make the level harder, and in fact I did both parts in parallel intuitively, but if you happen to take a bit more time, you'll have to restart for no good reason. btw, the ceiling route is still the fastest one, taking just a little more than 2 minutes. :P

edit- almost forgot; if I made "Four Easy Pieces" look better (actually I was thinking about changing some what drastically (to "Five easy pieces" since that is the name of the movie...) would it be a good level? if you don't want it at all that's fine.
Yeah, I don't see why not, it's a nice level for one of the easier difficulty ratings.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2012, 06:32:07 PM »
Thanks for the replays, but could you keep the filenames as they are on the list, makes things a bit easier for watching replays.
Okay  :thumbsup:

Get Hype is a bit different from the intended solution, and somewhat easier by avoiding the main trick. I like the idea of having an easier version of it, but don't you think having to save 5 with 5 walkers available is a bit trivial? :P
Oops, yes. Set walker, jumper, climber, floater to 3 of each.

Btw, the level can be done without the basher/digger trick, in fact, it's doable with 3 of each skill. Replay attached.
The attached document is blank  ???

Yeah, I know the Cheapo version of it [Rhapsody in Blue]. I'd love to see this one, I think it's a really nice twist on the original.
Okay, I'll put that on my to-do list. When there are more blue tiles available, perhaps :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2012, 06:39:23 PM »
I fixed Odd jobs finally. I think its best this way, forget the previous versions (including slippery... that just made it easier I think). And another new one.

btw, I finally figured out how to replay properly and watched them. The only real drastically different solution to any of mine would be the ceiling route on Transmigration but I think that's cool.

What are you going to call the 'ratings?' "mild, spicy, masochist....  ;P

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2012, 06:47:12 PM »
Will check out the new levels tomorrow probably.

Btw, the level can be done without the basher/digger trick, in fact, it's doable with 3 of each skill. Replay attached.
The attached document is blank  ???
Fixed, edited my previous post. I started using a temp folder for all things I upload and download now so I don't have to use the sucky Windows default file browser, and removed the file before submitting my post.

As for Two's complement, probably a pun on this, considering the level involves exactly two lix.