Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 169587 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2012, 12:01:25 AM »
Haha, you had the same ideas as I had, just ran a quick scan over the levels (I really should learn python for things like that I think, iterating over a directory is a chore in C++, in fact I used a workaround here).
Criterion was: If a level uses more than 16 terrain (or any object but .F/.T traps) pieces, then it's considered using that style, so some might use multiple styles while others like Minimalism use none.

construction23
sandstone18
Marble16
abstract9
Earth9
Gold Mine7
shadow6
Underworld6
Bricks6
tapir5
Winter5
Carnival1
Sandy Beach0
Oriental0

Our results seem at least somewhat consistent. :)
You confused the Bricks style with Marble in a few instances though (the tessellating brick pattern is actually from the marble set).

I actually got a level idea where I wanted to use the oriental style, let's see what'll come out of it.
For shadow, yeah, I was definitely still going to extend on this style, not sure when I'll get around to that.
Simon's styles, apart from tapir, were actually the very first styles in the game; in fact I think Simon was contemplating to take them out, even.

And another route of the same style for fnargl.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 24, 2012, 04:47:07 AM »
nice, so it looks like we need oriental, sandy beach, carnival. I guess, not surprisingly, those are the ones I like the least.
On that note: Is tapir a German word? Because as far as I can tell, "Tapir" means a pig like animal. ???
Also, noted 105 levels already. wow. 8)

I adressed a problem in torture chamber that was present for a while now. Here's 4.
I'm still open to a more original level title if anyone thinks of any.

spoiler:
Quote from: Hint

I'm trying to devise a better way of turning around the lone lix at the top. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the platformer altogether

^I had to search the forum to find a post using "color deef7ef" to spoiler tag this. what's up with that?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 24, 2012, 09:14:45 AM »
On that note: Is tapir a German word? Because as far as I can tell, "Tapir" means a pig like animal. ???

(October 3, 2011)
<Clam_Spammer>   oh btw SimonN, did you consider making a tapir hatch?
<SimonN>   A giant snout?
<SimonN>   I should make one...
<Clam_Spammer>   *looks up tapir*
<Clam_Spammer>   ohh... maybe not the best material for making pyramids D:

^I had to search the forum to find a post using "color deef7ef" to spoiler tag this. what's up with that?

dee7ef is the RGB (hex) value for the quote box's background colour, setting the text to this same colour makes it invisible unless you highlight.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 24, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »
Brickout C1: You wisely put C1 instead of just C, and I keep reading Brickroute...yeah.

Whoops.  I did of course tested something like that, but didn't try doing it at that location. :XD:

Fortunately not hard to fix, and for once it's not an addition of yet another buzzsaw. :P  Presenting C2.

[edit: C versions withdrawn pending a redesign]

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 24, 2012, 12:19:46 PM »
New solutions for Torture Chamber and Brickout:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 24, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
you're coming up with ingenious ways of turning them around there. So blockers turn around diggers, I forgot about that.
Anyway, now I had to  change around the right side of the level quite a bit. I'm not sure if I really like it, however if the solution is still well hidden I suppose it doesn't matter. I didn't like adding a climber but I couldn't see any easy way around it (without chaning the level considerably more and running into the problems before). This level designing isn't as easy as it at first seems.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 25, 2012, 01:11:35 AM »
New solutions for Torture Chamber and Brickout:

Crap.  Forgot about those sort of solutions and how they were (barely) held back in B. :XD:

Well that kinda sucks.  :(  Sure, the level can be updated, but it's getting to the point where the addition of the batter is just too problematic.  I think I'll have to withdraw current "C" versions for now, and come up with something else entirely.  Maybe something based on one of geoo's solutions, adapted to my intended solution but without the possibly controversial moves in B.

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 25, 2012, 05:57:33 AM »
Re: Oriental set -- The problem I have with it is that there's no way to build a level out of it without being severely constrained in ways that aren't a problem in other sets. There are no tileable platforms, and most of the set is decorative pieces. It's like if the crystal set had nothing but crystals, except even worse; crystals, unlike giant dragons, can be used to make platforms and walls.

That said, here's a completely ridiculous level I made in it to see what can be done graphics-wise.

And another route of the same style for fnargl.
That's impressive, and odd enough that I don't have a problem with it.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 25, 2012, 05:59:28 PM »
^another thing: there are no straight walls (except for the diagonal small pieces) in the oriental set, meaning its hard for climbers. And why is the dragon so huge?  ??? Was it kinda like a joke? (like I'm assuming  the "giant girls" in sand are?  :D)

here's a level I made inspired from trying the no turn challenge on "Keep your hair on Mr. Lemming". It's not very hard but I thought it was fun.
As a side note, miners are turning out to be good substitutions for 1way walls. (That's not saying I don't want 1 way walls)

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 25, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »
Completed (with 3 climbers and 8 floaters spare). I assume you don't need to see a replay  ;P but I'm glad my challenge helped inspire you! And yes, this was a fun level to play.

I'm getting more ambivalent about one-way walls. Looking back at the list of my levels, there are still huge numbers left to convert -- being unable to use one-way walls would reduce that to a much more manageable number :) Still, I'll try to press on. If I make myself do one level per day (except Thursdays and Fridays due to work), eventually they'll get done!

You and Nortaneous are right about the Oriental set, it's not very easy to use. I might end up using it once or twice, but no more than that.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 25, 2012, 09:30:43 PM »
I just found a possible back-route to Torture chamber 5  :( so I fixed it. Maybe nobody played it yet so it doesn't matter.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 25, 2012, 09:42:08 PM »
Funny coincidence, I was just playing this level.

If all you're doing is making a fix, and there's no possibility of wanting or needing to return to the previous version, I think you should keep the same filename so it saves over the old one. I've already accumulated several versions of this and Stick-up, and decided to declutter my wip folder by keeping only the "main" ones. If you should happen to change your mind, you can always re-download old versions from this thread.

Time to reveal your solution, perhaps? I feel I've already spent enough time on these two levels, and I want to get back on with my own now. Talking of which, here are some more. "Untitled Columns Level" (yeah, I know...) dates back to my ResEdit levels (before I even knew about Cheapo and other level-designing tools, I built levels by editing the standard ones). This one, originally called "On the Lemdon Underground", had the layout of Fun 26, with 1 floater, 6 builders, 2 bashers, 2 miners -- and the uninteresting solution of making the first lemming mine immediately on landing, which at least on the Mac version allows him to get deep enough to build to turn him and the others round -- yes, this was when I still thought pinpoint precision was Teh Awesome, though as I've said, I still like it if not overused -- while one floats, bashes, builds up to the level of the exit and bashes to reach it; then mine to release the crowd. (Spot the backroute!) For my Cheapo sets, I rebuilt this level, with a different title, with a slightly more complex layout (though the similarity to Fun 26 is still fairly apparent) and a more interesting solution -- in fact, when I looked back at this level after not having seen it for years, it did take me a while to spot the solution, so I suppose it's an okay puzzle. As for the title, I can't use a Lemmings-based pun in Lix, and I don't like its second title as it's been used before and gives too much away; so it's untitled for now.

The harder version is mostly bomber timing (and also dates back to my ResEdit levels). Sorry, but I do like playing these. No-one answered my question about whether making a bomber timing sequel to "Charge of the Lix Brigade" would be okay, so I made one anyway; I'm not going to force it down your throats, but if you want to include it, here it is. :)

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 26, 2012, 02:47:22 AM »
Semi-remake of The Great Outdoors from my levelpack, fixing the ridiculous backroute in the original. Couldn't use the original title for obvious reasons, so I named it after another Depeche Mode B-side instead. :P

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 26, 2012, 05:31:00 AM »
Got a solution to Torture Chamber, (already got it for version 5, but didn't get around to posting it, but it also works for 5a).

The solution I got for "Cry for me" doesn't seem to work well in the original Cheapo version, so I feel I found a backroute there.

Will check out the new levels later.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 26, 2012, 01:20:46 PM »
Replay for "Now this is fun".

Indeed, that solution for "Cry for me" won't work on the Cheapo version -- I guess it's because the builder is slower in Cheapo relative to the walker? This may take quite a bit of tinkering to come up with a satisfactory version of the level  :'(